Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have done a little searching and found a whole host of info, However I would appreciate some advice.

I bought an immaculate XR 250 from a friend about a year ago, due to work and family commitments I have only managed to get it muddy twice.

I love the bike however the local police are getting very strict on use of 'off road' bikes.

The bike has lived in my lockup for the last year and I really want to get some use out of it.

I would like to get a day MOT put on the Bike to allow me to use it without getting a trailer and towbar fitted to my car.

The details:

I am told its a '99 model, I have checked the manual and this seems about right (based on photos).
The previous 3 owners (approx 6 years) are known to me, however none of them used it on road and dont know if it was ever road registerd.
The bike has front and rear lights (not working but the looms and switches are there)
There is no speedo fitted
There is no number plate fitted
No ignition or key
Kick Start

Basically a really well cared for field bike, that I would like to put on the road.

I would be happy with a day only MOT,
I am not sure whether I need to remove the lights?
Do I need a speedo?
How do i get the paperwork to enable me to get a licence plate and MOT.
Am I better waiting till next year as it will be 10 years old?

And most importantly, how much is all this likely to cost??
Am I better off registering this one or selling as a field bike and buying one thats already done? (personally I would like to keep it as I know the recent history and know its been well cared for).

Thanks in advance for any responses. :blob7:

(I also need a pair of cheap off road boots size 10 any ideas other than fleebay?)

Regards

Barry :thumbright:

·
1988 TA 600V
328 Posts
Hi Baz

Can't help with majority of questions but on registering you will have to send engine and frame number to DVLA your local post office will have a form V something or other, DVLA will tell you what the number plate is. It will then cost you £25.00 to get a log book another V something or other.
I found post office really helpful when i got mine without the log book although i did have the number plate. Hope this helps a bit.
Chalky

·
Mr Impulsive
471 Posts
The requirements of a daytime mot are a legal no plate and a horn,no lights at all.
the only thing to be careful of is bad visibility during daytime hours.
you can pick up a ticket for riding in fog,rain etc if the copper decides the daylight is not sufficient.
It would be worth getting a lighting kit from somewhere like Pro racing,as the value of a field bike if you do sell,is going to be less than half of what it's worth as a road legal one ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Get the lights working and put a digital speedo on it (like one for a mountain bike for example) and you can have a full MOT instead ofa daytime one.

You will need a horn also, when i got my 250 (road legal), the horn was wired in across the light. It drained so much juice tho, that the horn never worked at the same time as the light!
My solution was to mount a 6v remote control car battery inside the headlight, and wire a horn up to that via the handlebar mounted switch. You can get a battery for about £8 and a cheap 6v horn is about £4 on ebay! I just charge up the battery before the MOT and it works fine.

You dont need an ignition switch or blinkers.

As for road registering it, i did find a fairly good description of the procedure posted somewhere, il post the link when i get home from work.
From memory its someting like this;

Get a certificate of newness if its less than 4 years old (no good for you)
OR you need a certificate of importation from honda (this is supposed to be the hard part)
Once you have that, you gotta get temorary insurance based on the frame number/or engine number?? (only some companys do this)
Then you gotta get an MOT on it.
Then you gotta take all your tickets to a DVLA center to have it inspected, he will then issue you with a number plate (or more likely a form to apply for one)
Then you gotta update your insurance.
Remember to register it as an enduro, it means you dont have to conform to so many rules.

Hope this helps , like i say il post the link later.

·
2,701 Posts
most of the stuff is already covered here, don't mess about, get the light's working, its not rocket sience.

first job is to check with dvla it's not on stolen register.

then get a dating letter to verify year of manufacture for age related plate. you can get one and some info on registration here;(prices probably out of date)

http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/Articles/Various/Registering-a-Grey-Import.aspx

make sure you class it as ENDURO, as less rules apply, and SVA is not required.

info here too;

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28873

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses.

I am getting the bike from my lockup on the weekend, i need to get at the frame number to get it dated.

*any idea how i find the frame number, is it uner the tank?*

I have checked the rest and it looks feasable, the bike has a 'lights and horn' switch fitted along with light clusters, so they should be easy.

my only concern is the Enduro registration.

The enduro criteria is stated as min 310mm ground clearence. The book says only 305mm clearence for an XR250 - will this be an issue?

Regards

Baz

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
*any idea how i find the frame number, is it uner the tank?*
Usually stamped sideways on the headstock tube, just in front of the tank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi​
If you go for a daytime MOT just put black tape over the headlight and switchgear,a brake light MUST be fitted,a constant tone must be emitted from the horn( £10 battery operated one from a pushbike shop)a speedo is not req but it is agaist the law to ride on the road without one.Indicators are one needed if you have rear foot pegs.
regards​

·
2,701 Posts
Re enduro regs, . . never had them get the tape measure out to ckeck ground clearance, . . when i've been, if they can be bothered to come out of the office they just look at frame mumber and the colour.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re enduro regs, . . never had them get the tape measure out to ckeck ground clearance, . . when i've been, if they can be bothered to come out of the office they just look at frame mumber and the colour.
Thanks for the response,

Enduro's the way ahead then :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
My local MOT place is very 'friendly' and will only ask for one lever to operate the brake light,if the bike is produced after 1995 ( I think) you will need both levers to work the light unless you find another 'friendly' garage
Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts