Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Sorry Nick,

Did you try to live chat? Or email them the exact problem?

The other thing I always tried was to ring in the morning. I invariably got someone in the UK then.

I am not convinced there is any method that means going from zero website to whole website involves just a couple of clicks though.

Give me a bell with your log in details and I'll see if I can't fathom it.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Hopefully you've already been sorted out by Alan by now, but if you get stuck drop me a pm and I'll be happy to give you a few pointers.

You've done the hard part now in creating your site so don't be put off by the hickup connecting to your ftp account. It'll likely only take a minute to sort out once you get pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hopefully you've already been sorted out by Alan by now, but if you get stuck drop me a pm and I'll be happy to give you a few pointers.

You've done the hard part now in creating your site so don't be put off by the hickup connecting to your ftp account. It'll likely only take a minute to sort out once you get pointed in the right direction.
Well,no new is bad news.:(
Found all the relevant missing emails in my spam box ?
So now we can get moving,right ?
Seamed to be a hick-up some place so I'm back on to customer support (8.00pm).The guy tried his very best again.With the accent and a half second line latency again it didn't go well.After twenty minutes he needed to consult his supervisor and he promised to call me back as soon as :thumbup:
The phone rings a few minutes later but it's Cabby asking if I have the kettle on ? :) He's just left (11.30pm) and still no support. I'm still looking at a half dozen open windows and I don't know what the f**k I'm at :rolleyes: A similar phrase to "Should have gone to specsavers" comes to mind. If it wasn't a 27'' Quad core mac loaded with music software it would have been through the window by now.:mad: So thanks once again everyone for your offers of help. But I now realise I know so little about what I'm doing here it's embarrassing. Even having shelled out for it all I just can't be arsed any more.I'm not a defeatist,I just hate doing stuff that doesn't interest me especially when it just won't fall into place as it should :(
Maybe I'll feel different after the weekend.:) ..Cabby looked over the website ,he didn't seem totally unimpressed so there may yet be hope. :D

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Don't give up. It's probably something small that's being missed. If you get stuck, drop me a pm and I can help you through it, or Alan and Whealie seem to be happy to help too.

In the mean time, there's a good free ftp program:

FileZilla - The free FTP solution

That you might be able to use to try to connect to your webspace via ftp (if it turns out to be some problem with that apple software, rather than the ftp account itself, then this should identify that, or if it is some ftp connection or username or password issue, then it'll tell you as it keeps a log of what it's doing when connects in a little window at the top).

Something to check perhaps, is if you've got a router with a firewall, or a software firewall installed on your machine, make sure that you allow traffic on port 21 (the ftp port). If you're not able to get a connection at all it might just be that that port is being blocked (or that you need to specifically make a rule to allow it).

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So is it up yet (ooerr!).
Nah ! :rolleyes:

The problems I need to resolve are :

1) Was I wrong to assume it's as simple as entering the details supplied by Hosting UK, into the "Publish site fields" of iWeb and find my self with a website up and running ?

2) If there is more to it than that, how much more ? As I need to apply my time more to other more pressing stuff right now, and I just can't be getting into hours and hours work to just to get it online right away.It would be great to have it up, but if there is a lot more work/investigative learning to be done.It's gotta' wait a bit. :(

I'm aware of the offers of help here but I can clearly see it's going to take a deal more sorting than I had anticipated. If the customer support line had been more, shall we say ? Local, com's would have been fully understood in both directions but unfortunately it was a "head against a brick wall" type of experience.:)

It'll happen,but for the moment I'm the only person able to see my site ! ..................That may be a good thing ,mind :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
If this is the 09 version of iWeb, it's got a bug which may be why you're having problems.

Check this out...

https://customers.machighway.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=10

Your best bet is to publish the site to a local folder so you can see it and then transfer the entire contents of that folder to the web root of your hosting account using FTP (FileZilla, Transmit or something similar).

If that's all too much then are you able to put the whole site into a zip file?

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Nah ! :rolleyes:

The problems I need to resolve are :

1) Was I wrong to assume it's as simple as entering the details supplied by Hosting UK, into the "Publish site fields" of iWeb and find my self with a website up and running ?
I'm not familiar with that program myself, but it very well might be as simple as that (assuming you're not using the buggy version Alan mentions of course). That's the way it tends to work in frontpage, dreamweaver and other applications like that that have very similar publish to server functions.

If you download that filezilla program I linked to above, and try connecting with it using the ftp url (will probably be something like ftp.yoursitename.com) and the username and password that the host has given you, then you'll notice a little text log window at the top. This will tell you at which stage it's falling over.

If it falls over checking the username or password, the first thing to check is that you're entering them in the exact format that the host has given you them (as if it's a linux server it'll be case sensitive).

You should also check that the username and password they've given you are actually for ftp, and not just login details for your control panel (though if it's a cpanel host then these will generally be the same when first set up).

If it doesn't find the server or can't connect for some other reason, it'll also tell you (though if that happens it's not safe to automatically assume that the host is at fault as it could be to do with your firewall etc - though it could also indicate a host problem).

If it does connect up OK, then it narrows things down a bit more and points to the web design software you're using (and perhaps that bug that Alan mentioned).

2) If there is more to it than that, how much more ? As I need to apply my time more to other more pressing stuff right now, and I just can't be getting into hours and hours work to just to get it online right away.It would be great to have it up, but if there is a lot more work/investigative learning to be done.It's gotta' wait a bit. :(
It's probably hard for anyone to tell exactly what your problem is without knowing more, but it's most likely a little hickup really. The sort of thing that can usually be sorted or worked around in a couple of minutes if you know what you're looking for.

It might just seem bigger than that to you at the moment because it's all so new to you, so there's a lot to take in.

Alan or Whealie or myself can probably help you with this very quickly I'd imagine (even if it's only to confirm that there is really something wrong with the hosting).

If you're still stuck and you have skype if you PM me your skype username, I'd be happy to talk you through it (though I'm working some odd hours at the moment so will tend to be online in the evenings).

I'm aware of the offers of help here but I can clearly see it's going to take a deal more sorting than I had anticipated. If the customer support line had been more, shall we say ? Local, com's would have been fully understood in both directions but unfortunately it was a "head against a brick wall" type of experience.:)
It's common for hosting companies to outsource support, but even hosts with a good in-house support reputation tend to be geared more to technical issues with their network and servers rather than more direct user support in terms of teaching people how to use their software or dealing with problems at the users end. Their responsibility understandably tends not to go much further than ensuring that their service is running correctly and if they can confirm themselves that their server is accepting ftp connections fine, and it's a problem at your end, then there'll be a limit how far they can go to help you in many cases.

I wouldn't let this put you off. As I say, it sounds like you've done the hard part already in making the site and it's just a little hickup.

If you get really stuck give someone a shout from here, or drop me a line and we can help you with it. It should only take a minute for someone to try your ftp details out for you using a known working ftp client and connection to confirm whether or not there's an issue with your hosting account, or if it's something else you need to look into.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I am around today and tomorrow. Get all your details and pop your site and documents on a memory stick or DVD and let's meet at a cafe Nero or Starbucks where they have wireless. Other than that at the RSA, near Charing Cross (nice coffee, nice environment).

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
If you get really stuck give someone a shout from here, or drop me a line and we can help you with it. It should only take a minute for someone to try your ftp details out for you using a known working ftp client and connection to confirm whether or not there's an issue with your hosting account, or if it's something else you need to look into.
I was hoping to test the FTP details by uploading the site :cool:

If the software is iWeb 09, it's likely to be a bug and everything you are doing is right. If it's iWeb 08 or earlier, publishing a site is not a simple push of a button.

Either way, Filezilla is the way to go to test it out (not used Transmit so can't vouch for that - but it's not free).

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I was hoping to test the FTP details by uploading the site :cool:

If the software is iWeb 09, it's likely to be a bug and everything you are doing is right. If it's iWeb 08 or earlier, publishing a site is not a simple push of a button.

Either way, Filezilla is the way to go to test it out (not used Transmit so can't vouch for that - but it's not free).
I have Transmit. So I can test the settings at least. I have iweb on my mac but possible the older version.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm still sitting on this problem,but I've been all consumed with another project. Whenever I've had a bit of down time I haven't had the head for more Web fiddling. Chris maybe I could talk it over for a couple of min's Sunday. I could bring the Web upload details etc with me for you to take home ,would that be of any use ? The site is obviously going to be a partial tool in the re-invention of "sohoeasy" so it has to be sorted at some point ! :D:D:D

21 - 36 of 36 Posts