Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm Norman, I'm 25 and I'm doing a Master in mechanical engineering in Zürich ( Homepage - Multi-Scale Robotics Lab – Multi-Scale Robotics Lab | ETH Zurich )
It's almost ten years that I ride motorbikes, I've started with a TZR 50 due to laws, then a T250, a GS500 and a RGV250 for trackdays. Around 20 I understood that "being closed into a cage" wasn't what I wanted, so I've bought my first trial motorbike.
Since then I've owned different trial motorbikes and this year I realized that I was missing a motorbikes for touring (Touring with a T250 is a way much complicated), so in March 2015 I've bought a cheap KLE500 and I've discovered the world of trail bikes. After have ridden through the Pyrenee (9 days in July 2015 and only on asphalt roads, because I've meet there with my father and sister...they went to Portugal on a Vincent Black Shadow....that's another story :lol:) I've started realizing that couriosity of meeting new people and seeing new places is what is moving me. So in September 2015 I've ridden through the West-North part of Balkans for two weeks (mostly on Gravel and not in common places*)...but KLE has some limits so I was need something better.
And here I come to the point that allows me to introduce myself to you.
I've bough a xrv 650:
honda-africa-twin-ab-mfk-guenstig-2026047277.jpg honda-africa-twin-ab-mfk-guenstig-2081746847.jpg honda-africa-twin-ab-mfk-guenstig-2001073313.jpg

Let's talk about the bike. I want to get it ready for riding "everywhere", so I need your help :)

- There is some rust on the wheel side of the silencer, there are already some holes and it is clearly visible that someone has already welded it (Not a good work). So I would like to change it by keeping a low profile (noise and similar to the original). I think Marving is a good one because allows to use the original heat shield. Any pro and cons on it?

- There is some rust on back wheel's spokes, but they are all in good condition. Front wheel is in very good condition, but 2 spokes don't sound good. I've noticed the same on another RD03...is this normal??!

- Are there aftermarket front disc guards?

- I don't like these crashbars, they seem a way to low and very thin. Moreover the attaching point seem very weak. Am I wrong? If no, RR crashbars are a better improvment?

- Suspensions: I've founded that there are springs till 140 N/mm for the original rear shock. The problem is that I haven't founded any data about the original spring. Then the hydraulic part of the rear shock is quite adjustable or not? Because by using a stiffer spring it must be adjusted aswell. For front forks I will renew them and use progressive springs.

- Handguards: original handguards cost a lot...are there any aftermarket pair that doesn't require to change everything for mounting it?

Let's talk about look:
I don't like the single light and the whole assembly is very heavy.
Any impression on the boano's rally fairing?

What about the engine guard with pockets?

Any other advice is welcome!

Thank you very much for the help.
Cheers,

Norman

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum. I'm in Sion, VS, with a 1990 RD04. I think xrv750 is in Zurich, although he might be an ex-xrv owner by now...

I'm just back from nearly 5000km around Morocco on my 25 year old bike - not a single problem and the bike was perfect.

- First, be careful with aftermarket parts in Switzerland. The expertise is very strict and my Arrow Paris Dakar exhaust didn't pass - I had to put the original back on. I'm now chasing certificates for the Arrow. I know Markus (xrv750) has had a nightmare with the expertise people too. You maybe already know about this from your other bikes.
- Check Ebay/Anibis etc for second hand disc covers/handguards/etc. This guy has a shed full of bits!
Honda Africa Twin XRV 650/750 - Autres

- I've got acerbis Rally Pro handguards which were easy to fit and reasonably cheap. The original are great at keeping the rain and wind off, but no good at protecting levers.

- Progressive springs and new oil in the fork are good. Then I got a new Nitron shock. Expensive but brilliant, but it makes the forks feel poor in comparison so I'm looking at options. Ricor Intiminator would go un-noticed by the Swiss expertise. Boano/KTM replacements definitely won't pass. Just seen these too - CARTUCCIA PER FORCELLA ORIGINALE CON REGOLAZIONI but they cost €630!

- You're right the engine guards look weak. Rugged Roads ones are great but they didn't have any stock last winter and they recommended Heavy Duties. HONDA — Heavy Duties
Brilliant bars and cheap, but they wouldn't post to Switz so maybe you can get them sent to a German address.

- Boano fairings are lovely but expensive as you have to replace the headlight and subframe too, and re-spray. Much lighter weight and good looking. I don't know if it would pass the expertise though. Interesting to find out...

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice and help from this forum!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Crashbars - Rugged Road's are good. So are HeavyDuties'. I have the later.

Rear spring - 100kg/cm vs 70kg/cm for an RD07 - http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/49247-rear-shock-rd03-rd07a.html

Rear shock can be rebuilt - Damping is adjustable. But an old shock with thin oil won't show much change between soft and hard. I suggest 10w oil. Got my seals from Racetech in the US. And o-rings were purchased locally for a just a few $... Any shock rebuilder can do it. If you need a CNC machined reservoir cap, I have 9 left ;-)

Plenty of handguards on eBay

Lee

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

- There is some rust on the wheel side of the silencer, there are already some holes and it is clearly visible that someone has already welded it (Not a good work). So I would like to change it by keeping a low profile (noise and similar to the original). I think Marving is a good one because allows to use the original heat shield. Any pro and cons on it?
I used a Marving on my bike and it worked just fine.
I think however the laws in your country is quite stringent when it comes to changing silencer/motorcycle noice?

- There is some rust on back wheel's spokes, but they are all in good condition. Front wheel is in very good condition, but 2 spokes don't sound good. I've noticed the same on another RD03...is this normal??!
Normal? That's depending on how it has been driven. I guess one could say it would be quite normal for a bike with spoked wheels to need some attention to the spokes after 26 years.

- Are there aftermarket front disc guards?
Not that I have seen or heard of, I bought a complete set from Honda, for both sides of the front fork.
Try
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/ or http://www.cmsnl.com for parts.

- I don't like these crashbars, they seem a way to low and very thin. Moreover the attaching point seem very weak. Am I wrong? If no, RR crashbars are a better improvment?
Rugged Road chrash bars are as You say an improvement.

- Handguards: original handguards cost a lot...are there any aftermarket pair that doesn't require to change everything for mounting it?
OEM handguards are really only for wind protection, there are better solutions for protection.
Normally one have to junk the bar end weights and install an expandeble bolt in the bar end holding a protection bar following the handgrip and then it bolts to the handlebar.
On to this there are some kind of brushguard installed for wind and brush protection.
They are however more expensive compared to the OEM Honda handguards.

Let's talk about look:
I don't like the single light and the whole assembly is very heavy.
You have good light at night though.
Any impression on the boano's rally fairing? Expensive! Perhaps more for bikes with navigation towers?
What about the engine guard with pockets? If you find a design of crashbars that have good connections to strong locations on the frame, since the bags with luggage will put extra strain on the mounting points.

Any other advice is welcome!
Always drive with enough slack in the chain, to keep the strain out of the output shaft!
Se above, /Kjell

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
welcome to the forum and well wear with your new bike she's a beauty as she is I love the square head light version myself not as common . its a pity I didn't find Honda v twin trails bikes 20 years ago when I was only 25 . still I am alive and enjoyed the shit out of my 1990 transalp 600 for the last 3 years :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
defiantly a Swiss model with square light :)

keep it original

intiminators fork valves will give you a great front end, then a rear shock refresh , Rugged Roads do an upgraded version

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you everybody!

Hello, welcome to the forum...
[...]
Thank you very much for the answer!
You are right about aftermarket parts, that's why I want to keep a low profile, actually I hate too much noise, is unconfortable for travelling :thumbup: (for other people aswell!)

I've already contacted that guy, for a RD03 he wanted 3 times the price that I've paid for mine....

Protecting lever is not what I'm mostly interested on, I want more cover as possible. I will look for that, is not that big issue now.

Boano fairing would by the expertise by me :cool:

[...]
Lee
Thank you very much!

Se above, /Kjell
Thank you!
Actually I think that the bike has only been ridden on asphalt. Wheels of my suzuki T250 are 45 years old and still original.

Is the headlight more powerful than the double on (original or the boano's one)???

What about an Hagon shock?
I've fitted one on the KLE (stiffer spring, adjasted hydraulic) and it worked very well so far..

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you want some original handguards I've got a pair you can have - I'm pretty sure the 04 ones will fit the 03 too, unless anyone knows otherwise? Let me know and we can sort something out.

What makes you think the Boano fairing would pass the expertise? I'm keen to find out more...

Had the front of mine in bits today to fix a broken indicator sub-frame bracket and you're right, it weighs a lot! Headlights are heavy.
P1120030.jpg

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome Norman

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Paul!

@Frostguiding: Because Switzerland has the Ticino. :D

We will see.

Btw I'm interested in the handguards!

Is the single headlight more powerful than the double one (original or the boano's one)???

What about an Hagon shock?
I've fitted one on the KLE (stiffer spring, adjusted hydraulic) and it worked very well so far..

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
my thought's on the boano fareing ? why break what is already fixed . the philosophy don't fix what isn't broken . it would sadden me greatly to hear of you molesting a beautiful old survivor in such a way especially a more rare square head light model there cant be too many of them still on the road . please I urge you to leave it as it is for 3 reasons one its an original bike two as you travel to other country's other riders will notice the square headlight and it will confuse some of them those in the know will then go around the back to look for a Swiss reg plate it will help you to win friends and influence people three it wont cost you any money to leave it as it is more money for petrol or spend the money on breaks and high end suspension :thumbup: I am all for performance mod's that improve the ride and make the bike more suitable for your intended use but cosmetic mods just for appearances to me are pointless . I know people up grade the front break on transalp's with a bigger disc and calliper from a bros/hawk 650 a bracket is needed maybe some one can link the thread ? with a braded break line new pads and an over haul you would have a powerfull break :cool:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Send me an address and I'll post the handguards if you can reimburse the cost...Shouldn't be too much to Zurich.

How does Ticino help? Confused!

I think the RD04 (H4) double headlight is good. Don't know about the single one, or the Boano one, other than Mr Boano telling me it was better than standard.

Also the twin disc RD04 brake, with steel lines, good OEM pads and clean calipers is a good enough brake. A good pull with 2 fingers is usually enough to lock the front, even on road.

I've got the Nitron shock, which is brilliant. Transformed the bike. Need to sort the forks now. Already on new oil and Hyperpro progressive springs which helps, but the rear is so much better than the front. Probably better spending cash on suspension and Reg/rec mods before fancy fairings, but...I like the Boano fairng. It saves weight, is strong, leaves loads of space for GPS etc, and I think it looks good too. Yes, it's expensive but you could easily change back to original if you wanted to go back to the "classic" bike, and you could argue using the Boano fairing off-road saves the original from damage...but I'm just trying to convince myself really. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm also for performance. I've never given a **** about esthetic.
First I will get the bike ready and ride it for a lot of miles in order to see if everything is ok and if I find things that I must upgrade/change/etc.
That's why I was asking about the RR crash bars (I've read that you don't have to remove them in order to leave fairings).
I'm interested in Boano's fairings if they have an improved headlight & if they are not complicated to remove (I.e.: If the one piece fairing can be taken without removing the instrumental panel). Weight reduction is just another improvement as for esthetic, wind protection and place for instruments.

The original big square light fairing is slightly scratched on one side, this means that it touches the ground then the motorbike falls to the ground. This can have very bad consequences (I will check this when I will have RR crashbars).
Brakes seemed fine to me. I will just put in new pads and new lines. (The double disc is more interesting from the power and "problems-solving" point of view!)

@Frostguiding: Because Ticino is in Switzerland but most of Ticinesi are very Italian-style. For example: There are a lot of roads that have a prohibition of access sign only in one direction, or there are other roads to reach the prohibited road and skipping the sign.
In Zürich there are prohibition signs for every way that I would think to drive. Also for pathway.
I've been stopped and I had to go to the police because I was riding on a pathway in Ticino. I haven't got any fine.
Btw, I'm a Swiss guy who lives in Ticino. (I'm also born there) :toothy10:

A lot of people from Ticino say that they are "Ticinesi" instead of saying that they are Suisse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I had to stop the bike because it was just running on the rear cylinder.
I've tried switching sparkplugs but the problem wasn't solved.

I will have to check coils and CDI and cables. Does anybody know about coils and cdi that can be find on ebay ("aftermarket")?

Then I've removed the link of the rear shock, all bearings are fine except both of the rear shock.
All other parts and plastics are in a brand new condition :thumbup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
So I had to stop the bike because it was just running on the rear cylinder.
I've tried switching sparkplugs but the problem wasn't solved.

I will have to check coils and CDI and cables. Does anybody know about coils and cdi that can be find on ebay ("aftermarket")?

Then I've removed the link of the rear shock, all bearings are fine except both of the rear shock.
All other parts and plastics are in a brand new condition :thumbup:

Change the position of the plugs of the CDIs to each other to see IF and which one is broken.
You can find a lot of CDIs in e-bay. There is no need to buy the original Honda. It's expensive.

See also Africa Twin XRV 650 - CDI

Wish you many-many kilometres with RD03.

:)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
yes switch over your cdi units the rev counter will only work when that cylinder if firing . :thumbup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello everyone!

thank you very much for the answers.
So there was just a problem in a connector, bike should run well now.

There is another "Swiss" issue: The bike was imported with lowered HP (20 Kw) in order to pass Swiss pollution norms of the time.
Carbs are slightly different: 35 pilot jet, NO pilot screw, different vacum piston.

The intake was also different, but it was "border up" with a knife or something like that.
Actually the bike had a really lean idle.

Does anyone has a pair of working carbs for the XRV 650?

Cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

And the shock from Hagon built on my specs:
IMG-20160202-WA0011.jpg
I've fitted a couple of used italian carbs and the bike is running a lot better.
Some problems with the cdi are still in, I will open them.
MArving exhaust is relly awesome, it isn't loudy at all!

I will have to work a little bit on forks, renew a a thread of the left support screw of the bash plate.
I have the right hand side stand (I'will look if I find it better than the center stand)

Next week I will get a new handlebar (The original one is rusty under the throttle), a the kevlar screen from boano (It will be mounted in combination with the black sceen, then everything will be painted white).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts