Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just bought a XR400 lastnight. Called my insurance brooker who cover my other bikes to get this one on, they said they'll not cover it as it has no ignition! To easy to steal!! Tell me something I don't know. Called several companies out of the yellow pages, all turned me down because it A, "might get used off road" B' "doesn't have ignition so might get stolen"

Am I missing something here? checked todays date, it's not April 1st! Of course it "may get used off road" But then my Fireblade "may get used for track days" but that doesn't seem to bother them at all.

Anyone suggest an insurance company that take XR's ? I'm 39 full clean licence 20 yrs, no claims, no points etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am with Norwich Union Direct. 0800 0683669

They insure my 2002 XR400R with "Security - No device fitted-no tagging device" on the schedule.

I assume that a key ignition is a security device? Mine does not have one.

Never leave it unattended in town though!

T

·
0 Posts
Beanmaster.

Check out item number-330205927122 on fleabay.

XR Stuff are very helpful,and it's all good stuff.

Regards Andy C.:thumbright:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Beanmaster.

Check out item number-330205927122 on fleabay.

XR Stuff are very helpful,and it's all good stuff.

Regards Andy C.:thumbright:
That looks good, however, I worry about someone wheeling the thing away into the back of a van. There is more risk of it being moved than started (see other threads "Starting XR400 any tips"!!!). I can't see having a ignition key makes it any less nickable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ive recently insured mine, i have a terrible licence and claim record, but these guys were excellent. got a quote online from carol nash (who insure my blade) for 200 then tried mce which came up with 360 so just left that alone, five mins later i had a phone call from mce asking if i like the quote, told them bout my quote from carol nash, he said gimme a min and came back with 160, which i promptly snapped up. dunno if those prices are expensive for you but they were good for me all things considered. btw thats third party only, but then i dont leave the bike anywhere so doesnt bother me.

cheers

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
mines a 99 model and is insured with honda and underwritten by zenith it's about £70 per year if i remember correctly, may not even be that much. Honda run multibike policy aswell so when my varadero policy is finished im swapping that to honda and taking out the multibike policy, that way i wont need to insure the xr as it will be less insurance value than the varadero and the xr will be registered on the varadero policy. Cheap as chips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Mr Impulsive
471 Posts
Try Bennetts fella.
My XR600R doesn't have an ignition barrel,nor did my Husky before that.
My insurance cost me £41.13p through Norwich Unions Honda only policy.

Failing that,Carol Nash insured my Alfer 250,which again didn't have an ignition barrel.

Of course they will only insure you Third party only ;)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Definatly try bennets get a quote on line i pay £56 TPFT for my xr 400 and also have my trials bike insured with them:thumbup:

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
Anyone suggest an insurance company that take XR's ? I'm 39 full clean licence 20 yrs, no claims, no points etc.[/quote]

don't know if TBM magazine is still going or if you can get hold of an old copy but they used to have some useful contacts for ins

:cool::D

·
Registered
10 Posts
£35 Pounds for an XR600R at 'Just motorcycle' insurance, I'm an old git though which brings the price down a bit

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dont go to ebike. You wont be covered for green lane use!
I've just insured the xl with Carole Nash and didn't think to ask that. Not that I've ever been off-road but I'd like to give it a try. :)

If it's legal to use the 'green-lane' (or wharever) then how can they exclude them?

·
Mr Impulsive
471 Posts
I've just insured the xl with Carole Nash and didn't think to ask that. Not that I've ever been off-road but I'd like to give it a try. :)

If it's legal to use the 'green-lane' (or wharever) then how can they exclude them?
I think it's just E bike/car that have some interesting get out of not paying clauses...;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts