Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to the site and Transalp XL650 07. Sorry my first post is for help and not an introduction!

I bought a cheap 30,000 mile TA in okish condition (one tatty panel) from a small bike garage who delivered it last week. Engine is silent, starts first time and not burning oil, gearbox is slick and the rest of it works as it should. It was bought for a bit of fun and to be able to take my children for little rides etc Maybe some 100 mile treks to the beach with girlfriend and some green laning alone too.

So I have spotted the front sprocket is welded on!! Photos attached.

On the basis of the front sprocket being in ok condition do I keep riding and see if I can get another 10-20k out of it before a strip down or re-welding of new sprocket? Or can anyone spot something thats going to cause problems or safety issues?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The counter shaft will be damaged. Mechanics and riders have a habit of treating these as road bikes and leaving the chain too tight. The flexible nature of the front sprocket mount means that when the suspension bottoms out the chain pulls the sprocket on such a way that it wears away the countershaft.
That's what is under that weld.

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, doesnt sound good!! It seems to ride ok. Do you know if its ok to continue riding and if its safe? Sorry but I have no idea about things like this. Feel a bit annoyed a garage would sell it like this :/

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Damn, doesnt sound good!! It seems to ride ok. Do you know if its ok to continue riding and if its safe? Sorry but I have no idea about things like this. Feel a bit annoyed a garage would sell it like this :/
I wouldn't worry its too late for that Just ride it until its worn out and hopefully you will be able to grind the weld off and weld a new one on and carry on riding

Reactions: DaveXL

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got to agree with 650Fred..don't thrash it about and put excess wear on it..will be good for 20k.
Then find another welder to get another 20k with a new chain and sprocket set..What was the cheap price ? Keep the chain looser than spec.

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
I will keep going and see what happens when its due for a change! I have a taller screen and anakee wild tyres coming from M&P so hopefully all ok for a ride out soon.

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just seen your post Andy. £1850 which I thought was cheap as a very tidy 20k 07 was for sale at £3750.
The garage said the left panel was repaired and a bit tatty but the bike runs well and the engine is very quiet. New MOT and no advisories.
The engine sounds like new and the rest of the bike is ok condition, just a little disappointed with the welded on sprocket. However as mentioned, being able to carry on riding till its worn out is fine with me and now I dont feel so bad.
I have changed the bulb with a good 18000 lumen LED, new throttle cable and oil change and it seems to ride fine. Its amazingly easy to ride and daughter likes it too :)

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chain has approx 45-50mm slack. Sound ok or too slack now?
From the garage it had about 25mm.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
i always set about 30-35mm of slack when i am sitting on the bike. better to be slightly too slack than too tight

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Chain has approx 45-50mm slack. Sound ok or too slack now?
From the garage it had about 25mm.
These are a couple of videos i done on the chain slack you need to be about 50mm up and down slack or 65 to 70mm measuring from the underside of the swingarm to the chain

Reactions: DaveXL

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thats great. I think mine might be a little too slack now at about 80mm from underside of swingarm to chain. Will take a look tomorrow and tweak it a little. Thanks again.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So what is the measure when you push the chain up..the difference is the slack..and find the tightest position by rotating the wheel first !

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
this is what i have always done:

put bike on sidestand
sit on bike
lean over and pull the chain up from the middle point
it should go up about 30-35mm

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahh sorry, I have stopped receiving alerts for some reason.

Ok, so the chain slack from pushing dchain down to as far as it will go up is 50mm. If I sit on it then it looks like about 30mm slack (ish). From the messages above this seems about right?

Running it this slack compared to the garage adjustment of 25mm has stopped the clunk between gear changes and a whining noise as well. I'm hoping now it will prolong the time before I need to grind the front sprocket off 😬

Thanks for your replies and help everyone. I have done 500 miles on it so far and all is good and I'm liking it more each time I go out.

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thankfully its gone now! Quite worrying a garage would think such a tight chain is ok :/

·
Registered
327 Posts
Great job...all sorted now then...untill you have to convince Mr mot guy it ain't too loose...keep it lubed every few hundred miles after a nice run...ride safe...

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I have looked. I have also seen some lower cost alternatives too. Will consider and get something fitted to extend the time before I have to get the grinder out! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts