Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts

The output shaft can wear very quickly if the chain is too tight and a hardened front sprocket used.

I bought a RD03 that had only done 3740Km according to the clocks. I had to strip and rebuild the engine and gearbox replacing the output shaft, gearbox bearings and one of the shift forks and shift fork rods as it wouldn't shift into 4th gear.

On stripping the engine there was no internal wear and the original honing was very visible so the clocks might be right.

I used NT400 Bros gearbox parts as they the same but much cheaper.

Welding the sprocket on might work as a temporary fix but can also damage the gearbox bearings due to the current grounding through the contact points of the bearings causing micro welds in the bearing.

It could also mess with any heat treatment of the countershaft and the heat could also damage the gearbox shaft oil seal.

If you do weld the sprocket earth the sprocket do the current doesn't go through the bearings and weld a bit at a time to prevent the gearbox shaft getting too hot.

Reactions: DaveXL

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, if I could I would get someone to strip the engine down and replace the shaft but I dont have any money to do so :/ I'm expecting it will be the best part of £1000 as I cant do it myself.

I have no idea how well this weld was done on my bike but I dont see any leaks or noises at the moment and the gearbox changes gear quite smooth and slick although 1st and 2nd have a bit of a clunk.

The engine is silent and not smoking, so I am hoping I can get 20,000 miles from this current sprocket problem free, which will be 3 years or more and then I can consider a rebuild.

I have only done 1000 miles so its still early days...fingers crossed and maybe at some time I'll have a look for some replacement parts.

I'll update once 5000 miles are done and hopefully all will be good :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
given the bike was only £1,800 i would just ride it around until the sprocket falls off, or something else happens. then flog it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, if I could I would get someone to strip the engine down and replace the shaft but I dont have any money to do so :/ I'm expecting it will be the best part of £1000 as I cant do it myself.

I have no idea how well this weld was done on my bike but I dont see any leaks or noises at the moment and the gearbox changes gear quite smooth and slick although 1st and 2nd have a bit of a clunk.

The engine is silent and not smoking, so I am hoping I can get 20,000 miles from this current sprocket problem free, which will be 3 years or more and then I can consider a rebuild.

I have only done 1000 miles so its still early days...fingers crossed and maybe at some time I'll have a look for some replacement parts.

I'll update once 5000 miles are done and hopefully all will be good :)

Thanks again.
Keep your eye"s peeled for a 2nd hand complete engine that's being sold off because of rotting wheel rim"s etc. It will be easier than a rebuild.

·
Registered
XL650 2007
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
given the bike was only £1,800 i would just ride it around until the sprocket falls off, or something else happens. then flog it.
Yeah probably a good idea. I've stopped worrying now and just enjoying the cheap ride :))

21 - 28 of 28 Posts