Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to advertising my FLHTP here I put it in my local free ads paper website (Trade-It) which is part of Friday Ads (I think).
Had a response that I replied to from a Matt Smith.
I then got another email from Matt Smith and an identical one from Lawrence Smith!
-
Thanks for the reply to my question, I'm buying it as a surprise and I don't want to be disappointed,as I am not chanced to come for viewing and test driving because I am presently not within reach (due to work) but I will arrange for it to be collected by a pick up agent who will be coming for the collection after the payment must have been cleared, so I don't think I will be able to come see it myself and due to protocol of my job phone conversation is limited but I will appreciate you sending me close up pictures any time when you are less busy as for me to have a better look here and make my decision about buying it. I will also like you to know that payment will be made via PayPal which I believe is safe and secure and also the only means I can rely on for payment at the moment, and also I will be responsible for PayPal charges. So all I need you to do is to send me a money request via PayPal for the total cost so I can make payment after I must have viewed the pictures and made my decision about buying. I will want you to please answer this questions;

Are you the first owner of it?
Why are you selling it?
When have you been using it?

What's your final price?
Hope to read back from you soon....

I suspected a scam as I had a similar message from him when I was selling my Sportster, I just ignored it the English seemed odd from a very English named person and most of the questions were answered in the ad.
Just beware of these names if you are selling elsewhere.
This is not a problem, as far as I am aware on this website
From reading the internet is appears you end up getting stung for the transport costs but do not fully understand why!
The names appear to have form on the internet from searches.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
erm.... friend of mine selling a caravan received same offer from SAME GUY last year. Went along with him for awhile, until the paypal..com sent a "you have funds" e-mail. Notice the 2 dots before the dot.com address. Looked like the real thing until you logged into the real paypal. Matt Smith...BEWARE.

·
mud muppet
162 Posts
its a scam, my brother had one when he was selling his car he had some muppet from a foreign country offering him like 7k for the car that would cover export charges and delivery charges and everything and he was selling the car for like £600 i think, he took the info to the police after the "buyer" sent him a check for the car and all costs, the police said it is the exact same thing thats been happening and they will send the check to you and it will be from someone elses bank account and they will get the money back off you some way and you will get done for fraud :/ so the police got the check and all details and i dont know what happened then

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Whats with all the paranoia, I thought everyone knew that Matt Smith is really Dr Who and he is busy saving the universe so he cant collect it in person.....Duh! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Now, does anyone want to buy some shares in my Viking gold mine? :D:D:D

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had very similar when selling my Goldwing & sidecar, with a little investigation it came from someone on a university campus in Africa. He lost interest when I asked how many students he was hoping to get in it to ride around the campus!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's a scam. Common as muck. They claim to send you money (electronic) including the cost of the transport guy. You think you've got the transfer of funds into your account. They used to do bank transfers, but the banks have tightened up on it. Now, false paypal emails are circulating. Some victims don't check their account, assuming the email is enough evidence money has arrived, then release/send the goods off. Don't get drawn in by the story. It's a con mans way of getting to the basics of human nature - trust. I've had the same via ebay. I wrote back and explained the consequences of petrol and matches!:blob6:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes indeedy it's a scam. Had a very similar thing when we were looking for a horsebox. Was emailed a great photo of exactly what we were after, but after several "out of the country on business etc etc" emails looking for advance payment (wouldn't entertain Paypal due to quote "difficulties" unquote, I couldn't pin this guy down. I reported it to the local police and was advised that, yes, it was similar to a host of similar reports. You did well to avoid this prat.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If its too good to be true its too good to be true as they say. Did anyone see the tv programme that followed scambusters? They go about turning the tables on the scammers, giving them a real run around. Tempt them in then hand them over to the authorities.

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
On the flip side, i was once selling a Transalp 650 a few years ago

Guy had a funny English accent and said he would pay the full asking price and arrange transport for delivery to Malta

He paid in full and some company collected the bike no problems

He even sent me some pictures of the bike once it had arrived!

Very nice chap to deal with

So there not always a scam just because of dodgy English and wanting to ship abroad!

Although this one defiantly is!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts