Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok Im no Author but I will give it a go :D

Wigan Chris and I set off for a part of The Lakes, where the company I used to work for own a farm, with much grovelling I got them to allow me to pitch my tent for the weekend.

Arrived Friday evening after a wet run up the A6, avoiding the traffic on the M6

As we arrived at the site from Kendal we could look down on to the M6.

We awoke on Saturday to glorious sunshine which allowed us to dry our kit.

The Viking :D:D:D

We had a text off Hudders and arranged to meet him in Bowness, from there we had to go South to Newby Bridge as the Hawkeshead ferry was closed for a bit of work, good planning for a Bank Holiday :rolleyes:

So we then went up the West side of the Lake on to a track Hudders knew of.

We could get on the shoreside too

From here we rode through Grizedale forrest and on to Coniston for lunch, where we rang DC and asked him what he was doing and if he was having as much fun as us ;)

We then rode up to Tan Hows, just North of Coniston

Then came the inevitable Wrynose and Harknott Passes, words cannot describe it

We stopped in Boot and then came back over Hardknott and then turned right to Ulpha, where a walker pointed us in the directon of a track he thought we could ride

Unfortunately we couldn't :rolleyes:

Then headed back to Newby Bridge over more stunning roads, views to die for and all in glorious sunshine :D:D:D

Hudders headed home and Chris and I headed back to camp, via Morrisons for provisions, BBQ and early to bed, Knackered, but very content with our days ride.

Sunday morning set off via Sedburgh and Kirkby Lonsdale

We hugged the coast to Blackpool back to Preston and then home.

All together a brilliant weekends riding with great company :thumbright:

Till next time :thumbup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Good report Frad, pics as well? :D

The weather does help when you're up around those parts

You could've got up that track if Airwolf had been with you :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
good piccies mate, good write up.

all 3 days were truly great, camping spot was breathtaking, the riding was magnificent, and some great company.

many thanks for the invite Frad, and heres to the next time, i hope its very soon !

maybe the other person who was invited (you know who you are) will be in a position to join us next time.

:blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

PS - it wasnt that the track was unridable, we just werent legally allowed to ride it

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
From here we rode through Grizedale forrest and on to Coniston for lunch, where we rang DC and asked him what he was doing and if he was having as much fun as us ;)
A great ride report Frad.........I was informed that the phone call was to the great amusement to certain parties :rolleyes:

For your information my weekends been brilliant, the highlight of which was Britains got Talent :confused: closely followed in second place by the fact that I now think I've got Flu (Hopefully not of the mexican variety).......

But seriously the location looks fantastic and you know that if it had have been viable I'd have been there like a shot, I would love to come on the next one by which time I'll be riding my AT :thumbup:

PS I have to take some consolation out of the fact that your journey up there was wet..........you seemed to have missed that minor detail in your attempts to wind me up:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
maybe the other person who was invited (you know who you are) will be in a position to join us next time.

Now who would that be...............There'll be no stopping me, It looks like I'll be getting the AT on Tuesday :blob7::blob7::blob7::blob7:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A great ride report Frad.........I was informed that the phone call was to the great amusement to certain parties :rolleyes:

For your information my weekends been brilliant, the highlight of which was Britains got Talent :confused: closely followed in second place by the fact that I now think I've got Flu (Hopefully not of the mexican variety).......

But seriously the location looks fantastic and you know that if it had have been viable I'd have been there like a shot, I would love to come on the next one by which time I'll be riding my AT :thumbup:

PS I have to take some consolation out of the fact that your journey up there was wet..........you seemed to have missed that minor detail in your attempts to wind me up:D:D:D:D:D:D
Its all been a bit of fun mate :D:D:D

We did miss you you would have loved it :thumbup:

I hope you get the AT soon and we can do it all again :thumbright::thumbright:

Such great roads up there, maybe we can try the local pub next time :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Brilliant Report frad, thoroughly enjoyed it

have been to nearly all the places pictured and your shot of hardknott pass really captures what a swine of a road that is and one that shaped me as a biker.

shame you missed out out DC hope you make it next time i would love to join you's myself for that but dont think will be feasible.

but anyway, excellent stuff:thumbup:

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Frad
brilliant pics and report, you could do next years calendar out fo tose pics alone i reckon, this one should deffo be in it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Enjoyed the write up - was over Wrynose and HardKnott myself last week on a Triumph Owners run but did it on my Alp! I live in Kendal and go over there a lot. If you google these passes a lot of folk reckon they'e the worst in Europe, they'e certainly spectacular! If you come up again check out some of the other passes such as Newlands and Whinlatter. If anyone else interested and fancy a ride out email me be glad to act as a guide. Cheers

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Enjoyed the write up - was over Wrynose and HardKnott myself last week on a Triumph Owners run but did it on my Alp! I live in Kendal and go over there a lot. If you google these passes a lot of folk reckon they'e the worst in Europe, they'e certainly spectacular! If you come up again check out some of the other passes such as Newlands and Whinlatter. If anyone else interested and fancy a ride out email me be glad to act as a guide. Cheers

Next time were up we will give you a shout and you can join us and show us the others :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

How can they be the 'worst' :confused::confused::confused: do they think they are too steep and tight ????? I think its incredible :D it may be difficult on a Gold Wing mind :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Loved every minuite of it :blob7::blob7::blob7:

·
Registered
924 Posts
i even ended up with a sunburnt face ! despite the peak on my Tour-X and my sunglasses, god bless this fine country of ours

:p + :cool: +:sunny: =

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one boys

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Had a great day out :thumbright:

Thanks to Frad & the Viking aka Chris :D:D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Us Vikings need to stick together mate! Nice report; makes me wish I'd been there.

Farthegn ("Travelled Warrior")

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
We stopped in Boot and then came back over Hardknott and then turned right to Ulpha, where a walker pointed us in the directon of a track he thought we could ride

Ah! That's the Walna Scar road which goes from Dunnerdale over to Coniston. I rode it on a trials bike about 30 years ago! :( and have walked it many times (I grew up in that area). It's a good graded track up the Dunnerdale side but gets a bit tricky on the other side of the hill. I guess a confidently ridden AT would be able to make it except it's been closed to two wheeled traffic for yonks.

·
2,701 Posts
Ah! That's the Walna Scar road which goes from Dunnerdale over to Coniston. I rode it on a trials bike about 30 years ago! :( and have walked it many times (I grew up in that area). It's a good graded track up the Dunnerdale side but gets a bit tricky on the other side of the hill. I guess a confidently ridden AT would be able to make it except it's been closed to two wheeled traffic for yonks.
I rode it a few years ago on an XR250 coming up from the coniston side :p, . . . . not long before it was closed.:(

Nice report Frad.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts