Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from New Zealand. I have just bought a 2001 Transalp 650 (RD10E) as a bit of a project. It’s mechanically sound (aside from a need for a clutch refresh) and is reasonably tidy. I plan to use the southern hemisphere winter to freshen it up a bit, ready for summer. I suspect the answers to the following questions are already somewhere on this forum but I haven’t been able to find them. So, apologies if I am asking things that have been asked umpteen times before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

First question – the bike has a 140 tyre on the rear. I get the impression from this forum that 140 is not advisable for the TA. Although it has plenty of life left in it, would the advice be to swap this tyre out for standard size (or I see 130/80x17 is a common fitment)?

Second question – the plan is to freshen the appearance up without spending too much on it. The chrome tail pipes are in awful condition and really detract from the bike’s appearance. The chrome has lifted in places and rust has jumped in. Re-chroming would be prohibitively expensive and, if they are still available as a genuine part, I don’t even want to think what they would cost. Does anyone know of an aftermarket alternative? What have others done to tidy this problem up? I wonder what the bike would look like with them simply removed and the muffler given a fresh coat of paint? Anyone done this?

Third - The plastic rack is badly scuffed up and, like the tail pipes, is detracting from the appearance of the bike. I am guessing that it could be freshened up with a carefully done re-spray from a rattle can? Would anyone have any advice or suggestions around this?

Fourth – for some reason, most of the fairing fasteners are non-standard – a nasty little mish-mash of different sorts. I’m not pedantic enough to want to try to replace them with genuine ones (nor am I rich enough!) but does anyone know of any aftermarket alternatives that will at least look OK?

Fifth – I am certain that the sidestand is not the original fitment. The bike leans over to a ridiculous angle. When it is retracted, the stand sticks out a considerable way. If I can work out how to attach photographs, I will put a couple up. Fortunately, the bike has a centrestand. Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing the sidestand? I will try to source one from a dismantler but is anyone aware of an aftermarket alternative or a stand from something else that is known to be an alternative for the TA?

Sixth – the bike is actually a UK bike brought to NZ by a Brit who moved here. So, built in Italy. I understand that TAs sold new in NZ were from Japan. Are there any significant spec differences between Japanese and Italian-built Transalps that I need to be aware of when acquiring parts etc?

Seventh (and last) – all four locating tangs on the inside of the fairing (that attach it to the tank) are broken off, something that wasn't obvious when inspecting the bike before purchase. Riding the bike home after purchase, I didn’t notice any fairing movement but I assume they must serve a purpose. Does anyone know of a way to resolve this problem? I don’t really want to spend too much on tidying the bike but does anyone make aftermarket panels for the TA? I am aware of Tyga but they don’t list the TA.

Many. Many thanks for any help you can offer a new Transalp owner. I realise some of these questions may cause some eye-rolling!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Hi and welcome.

That side stand is well bent (or non standard) swap it for a good one or maybe heat & straighten?

120/130 is normal fitment, I'm sure a 140 would be fine. I had a 130 that measured nearer to 140, a friend had another brand of 130 that was nearer a 120!

The chrome tails are welded on on the 650 (screws hold 'em on the 600s!) but can be carefully removed, the exhaust looks crap without them, maybe source some correct dia stainless cut to length or go aftermarket (I personally like the look/sound of the oe silencer), I cut some good chrome trims off an old, rotten silencer, cut them length-ways and over skinned the pitted trims on my current bike!

As far as I'm aware the 650 was only made in Europe, are you meaning you only had the Jap (earlier) build 600s in NZ? There are many, significant changes between the 600 & 650. There are some but mainly detail changes between the 650 model run.

It is not unknown for the odd lug to break on the fairing but if all 4 are gone , I guess you are into bodging/fabricating something.

Re the fasteners, oe are often best (IMHO) as they often have shoulders to fit & tighten properly, failing that, source stainless flange head allen screws, which look ok, they are generally m6 thread.

If you have it all stripped, ditch all the air injection gubbins & block all of the relevant ports - this will make access easier in future.

Phil

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
this is what i have done to make the silencer/muffler look better

• remove it
  • remove the two chrome bits
  • clean chrome bits with something like this

• sand the muffler/silencer
  • spray muffler/silencer with something like "zinc 182" anti rust spray, allow to dry
  • then spray with heat resistant stove paint/spray
eg

you can also spray the downpipes with this stuff

you may find the muffler/silencer clamp is rotten/knackered

there are loads on ebay

eg

as far as i know all 650 transalps were assembled in spain or italy. none were made in japan

the fairings and fixings on all transalp are pretty crap and fiddly. they always harden with age and snap off

there are loads of different ones available

eg

plastic number plate bolts also work

your side-stand looks like the original, but it looks bent to me. it should not stick out that much when retracted

this is my 650 side stand:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
PS - I have tried respraying plastic racks before and the paint always flakes off after a short time

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonderful advice! Many thanks.

My information about where TAs were built must have been wrong. Perhaps the person was thinking of the earlier 600s being Japanese-built. NZ got all models, from the first 600s to the last 700s.

My sidestand does look like the original, judging from the photos. It has just been bent. I wonder whether a previous owner has deliberately bent it to allow them easier access to the centrestand? If I took it to an engineering shop and had them heat it and bend it back, would that create a weakness in the stand? Would it be preferable to try to replace it?

I will start a separate thread asking for advice on how to resolve the four broken fairing tangs/lugs. I'm sure someone has already come up with an ingenious idea that they may be happy to share. I can't understand why all four are broken, other than a ham-fisted previous owner. There is no fairing damage to suggest a crash.

I will also look on this forum for info on how to remove the air injection gubbins, if that is a common and recommended thing to do.

Again, many thanks for the really useful information. It looks like this will be a great forum for Transalp advice.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Check the VIN plate to identify where it was built > VIN Decoder

Re. Exhaust - they rot, painting it simply puts it out of sight out of mind, but it'll still rot from the inside out. Easy fix is to replace with a fully stainless can & link pipe > Delkevic UK Limited

1 - 6 of 6 Posts