Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads

A few days ago, I went to the mechanic to have him check out buzzing noise coming from the righthand cockpit area ... the right blinker didn't work, and the headlights didn't either. He messed around with the fuses, various connectors and checked the bulbs. Suddently everything was fine, and since I couldn't understand what he was saying, I never knew what the problem was, and assumed it was fixed.

Tonight when I came down to start the bike, everything worked fine, except the starter engine and the headlights!!!

The buzzing sound is gone, and there's plenty of power ... All other lights work fine, except the headlights.

I managed to roll down a ramp in a parking house, to start her up. When I came home, the starter engine briefly worked, and then slipped back into the coma.

Can anyone tell me what the h*ll is going on? :confused:

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Check fuses.
Check for short circuits if any fuse blown.
Check battery connection(s) for security.
Is battery healthy? Is it old?
Is the system charging properly by reading voltage across
the battery when running....should be no higher than 14.8 volts
if reg/rectifier is good.

What year and model is your AT?

·
where next?
508 Posts
If the starter motor won't fire, it's probably the main 30amp fuse. It's located behind the left hand side panel on top of the starter solenoid (behind the 4-wire plug). There should be a spare there too, located under the the rubber solenoid mount.

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did check the fuses, and they are all good. Actually I found a 15A fuse in the headlight slot, supposed to be 20A?? I guess this is better than the other way around, right?

No problem with the battery either...

However, this morning, I found out where the buzzing sound comes from ....

It comes from a little rubbercoated box, hanging under the right headlight, called RELAY COMP., STARTER (MITSUBA)

Anyone know what this little fellow is good for? :confused:

I took it off, and the bike started up nicely, but still no light in the headlights? I can live without the headlights, so would it be ok to go without it for a few days?

Is this a symptom of a bad reg/rec in the early stages? (remember, that before, the right blinker stopped working, and then started again)

CHEERS!!!

/T

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved, lads!

I was just about to give in to tears (today is the first day of the Chinese New Year holiday, and I had planned to go around the countryside on the AT) when I got stubborn, and rechecked everything again.

Problem was the fusebox. The connecting point for the headlight fuse had been pushed into the box, and didn't touch the fuse at all.

Why this would affect the starter engine, I have no idea ...

Thanks for your efforts! I would be seriously scr*wed without you guys!

Now, to the streets!!!

BR,
Thomas

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I have very moisty eyes, and will probably cry soon!!

Surely she fired up after I fixed the issue with the fuse, and I thought all was back to normal, but she's running so rough now, that I'm convinced that only one cylinder is firing. Idle is about 1000rpm, and it's vibrating a lot.

How can I tell which one is going?

And what should I do from here?

I can't get the tank off to check the plugs up there, as one of the 2 bolts are stuck, and it wrecked my only wrench (cheap chinese crap) ... It'll be a couple of days before the shops open again.

Aaaaaarghhhhhh!!!!!!!

Sulky regards
Thomas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts