Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.

I sold my 1150 GS as I didn't like the engine braking, went onto a ST1300 but it wasn't tall and loud enough and now have discovered the Varadero and this forum.
I have to say it looks like a beatiful bike. Never seen one in the flesh but am testing one tomorrow - what should I expect? Any advice on buying private? What shoul I look for?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
It could well be my one. I've just traded mine in for a beemer. The engine braking isn't that different form the GS so don't get your hopes up. Based on a few miles on my GS1200 the Honda engine is stronger 1-2 thousand revs but above that the BMW engine has more grunt.

Finish was excellent on mine and after 18.5K miles and 4 years the only thing I had to retouch were the two banjo bolts on the rear brake calliper. Assuming it's not my old bike and it's in Edinburgh I can come and cast an eye over it for you.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Boris.

The point of the ride tomorrow is to see if I like the marque, as opposed to the actual model for sale - so I guess I'll know by this time tomorrow if I'm in the market for one.

What is it then that made my Pan European a smoother gear change than the Beemer, and potentially the Varadero?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
What is it then that made my Pan European a smoother gear change than the Beemer, and potentially the Varadero?
I thought you were concerned about engine braking and not gearchange? The honda box is certainly a little slicker that the beemer one.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Get ready to feel the power :wav: and the sheer delight of riding one of the best over-looked big adventure bikes.
The AT or Translap are far superior off road by far but The Varadero is a mile chruncher, great for touring with lots of low down grunt .:thumbup:
Then again I'm biased,I got one :thumbup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had the original oil head GS100 and now have a 2001 Varadero.

Engine breaking is similar on both bikes, normal with such a big twin.

Gear change on the Honda is much slicker.
Comfort on the bikes is similar , test ride and see for yourself.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Evening all.

I sold my 1150 GS as I didn't like the engine braking, went onto a ST1300 but it wasn't tall and loud enough and now have discovered the Varadero and this forum.
I have to say it looks like a beatiful bike. Never seen one in the flesh but am testing one tomorrow - what should I expect? Any advice on buying private? What shoul I look for?

Cheers.
If you don't like the engine brakingon the GS you'll hate it on the Varadero when you hit 100mph take your hand off the accelerator then very rapidly decelerate on it's own

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
IComfort on the bikes is similar , test ride and see for yourself.
I think it depends on how tall you are...I tryed both and found the Vara much more confortable for the legs position...MHO....

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Thinking about it, it wasn't the engine braking that put me off, I got used to that, what I should have attributed the bad feeling to was the handlebar lurching at gear change which I never seemed to smooth out on the 1150 but just wasn't an issue on the Pan from the beginning.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think it depends on how tall you are...I tryed both and found the Vara much more confortable for the legs position...MHO....
Dont know I am 6'1" and feel my feet quicker on the vara than my memory of the 1100

Bottom dollar, they are two great bikes...

The Vara is a lot cheaper secondhand which swang it for me.

2001, 15600miles extras full honda history 2400 quid from this site, it is the most immaculate bike I have ever bought secondhand and a great price. Makes paying to be a member of this forum very worthwhile.:thumbup:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back from the test ride now and pretty well impressed. My worries about lurching were unfounded and at 6 Foor 1 I felt pretty comfy on it. Very responsive and I felt good and tall - didn't stop a motorist trying to come out of a junction in daylight on a wide open unobscured junction though.

So the Varadero is for me I think - dropped past the local BMW dealership and the GS is very pretty but comparing used prices, the purchase price on the Honda is more affordable.:thumbup:

I will be watching the "For Sale" forum like a hawk now - thanks for advice everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Shame only a week too late. I could have sold you a cracker.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Good decision! :D Seriously though, making smooth gear changes on a boxer BMW is tricky. I learned to do it eventually (only partially depress the clutch and change VERY quickly), but Hondas are generally better. Suzuki has the best reputation for smooth gear changes though. (Funny how manufacturers have these various blind spots that last for years on model after model.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts