Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a bit of a consensus that ABS is a "bad thing" when riding off-road but I have to admit can't really understand why. Now I know there may be times when you may wish to lock up the back wheel if going down hill covered in loose stuff and build up a wedge of muck in-front of it but equally I know of no time (outside the trials arena) when locking up the front wheel is a good idea. I would have thought the benefits of ABS off-road far outweighed the downsides.

Linked brakes on the other hand I can understand being a pain off-road as I want to decide where the braking effort goes but my question is about ABS without linked brakes.

Can anyone help me understand?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Try using a normal rear brake on the soft stuff without locking it up occasionally - locks but still kinda works doesn't it?

Now imagine that you have no rear brake - this is the feel you get with ABS.
:thumbup:

There seems to be a bit of a consensus that ABS is a "bad thing" when riding off-road but I have to admit can't really understand why. Now I know there may be times when you may wish to lock up the back wheel if going down hill covered in loose stuff and build up a wedge of muck in-front of it but equally I know of no time (outside the trials arena) when locking up the front wheel is a good idea. I would have thought the benefits of ABS off-road far outweighed the downsides.

Linked brakes on the other hand I can understand being a pain off-road as I want to decide where the braking effort goes but my question is about ABS without linked brakes.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

The cbs linked brakes on the big honda's are a bloody good setup and work well, Abs i don't really see the need for it most bikes with abs you can turn it off. I rode the 990 adventure KTM and didn't like the abs on that i found it cut in far too early for my liking.

Boris i waqs up your way on the vara a few weeks ago, What a nightmare Edinburgh is to drive through at the mo, I bet the locals will be glad when the tram system is in and running

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boris i waqs up your way on the vara a few weeks ago, What a nightmare Edinburgh is to drive through at the mo, I bet the locals will be glad when the tram system is in and running
I can't see any real benefit to the trams at all. We used to have them years ago and when one broke down the whole system ground to a halt till the marooned tram could be dragged out the way by a tow truck. At least with buses they can go round the stricken vehicle.

The other problem we have is the route for the tram line. It goes from near the airport (near as in 2 miles away so not near enough) to the city centre. Unfortunately the route is so long and torturous that I suspect few people will use it as from many points, even on the tram route, a bus will still be more direct and possibly quicker.

Now I've done it. I've strayed off topic. Worse than that it was MY TOPIC. Anyway about that ABS.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cbs linked brakes on the big honda's are a bloody good setup and work well, Abs i don't really see the need for it most bikes with abs you can turn it off. I rode the 990 adventure KTM and didn't like the abs on that i found it cut in far too early for my liking.
Woo two replies from me for the same post.
I must admit I was really sceptical about the merits of ABS on a bike but any doubts I had were put to rest when, not long after getting the bike, I was out with my 13 year old son and a van pulled out to do a 3 point turn and stopped blocking both sides of the road leaving me nowhere to go.
Now after years of sports bike riding I reckoned I was pretty good on the brakes and I braked as hard as I dared but I could tell we weren't going to stop in time and this was going to be a sore one for both of us. Then in a flash I remembered the ABS and just grabbed handfuls (and footfuls) of brake and bugger me did the bike not stand on its nose and stop in a distance I didnt think possible for such a heavy bike 2 up. We stoped with less than 1 foot to the side of the van and breathed a sigh of relief.

It was then at that point that my son learned for the first time, via the intercom, exactly how many swear words his dad knew.

The linked brakes on the other hand I can take or leave. I don't really care much for the front lever putting on a bit of rear brake but I really like the back brake to be just that. The thought of going down a muddy slope and the use of the back brake locking up the front gived me the heebie geebies. I guess the ABS may stop that happening but does the ABS work at all speeds or just over 6MPH?

Anyone any first hand experience?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts