Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2010 Varadero 1000 and i want to put a 12volt cigarette type power supply on the fairing. Any idea where I can get power from that switches off with the ignition? must be able to cope with 5 amp loading?

It has heated grips fitted as standard.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If you have the relay for you heated grips and its man enought to handle more power running through it you could run the power socket though that.
If its not rated high enough you could get relay number 1 to switch relay number 2 to live.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love electrics. Whilst I understand the answer, I also do not understand the answer. Where would I find the heated grip relay? How would I wire a new relay to trigger that relay? and so on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hi, i had a 2008 vara and run the power from the positioning light underneath the main headlight, just remove the plastic cowling from underneath the main headlight ! it never caused me any problems and the wires all tucked away behind the cowling
Hi all, I have a 2010 Varadero 1000 and i want to put a 12volt cigarette type power supply on the fairing. Any idea where I can get power from that switches off with the ignition? must be able to cope with 5 amp loading? It has heated grips fitted as standard. Cheers

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Ok then , get yourself a relay , I got myself one that would be good enough for several things pluged into it.
I found the easiest switched live is the tail light , splice onto that and wire the rest as the relay requires.

Someone will be along and explain it better than I can , but it is quite strait forward to fit a relay and ciggie socket.
Green wire for back light live to activate relay.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
oem heated grips wont have a relay, up to '06 they plugged into the accessory harness (which was also prewired for the optional power socket), from '07 the grips are fitted as standard and to cut costs they are wired direct into the loom. if you cant find exactly where the accessory loom got its power from, which was designed to take the extra load, then to avoid burning anything out its best to make your own circuit, starting from the battery, using a relay switched from the tail light power feed which is easy to find and plumb into. its easy enough to do, theres a wiki in the forum somewhere to show how

1 - 6 of 6 Posts