Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
( Recently posted on Varadero International Forum) Hi, I recently got my Varadero and I'm quite happy with it. One issue I have is with the accessory socket. The dealer installed it in the small lockable compartment, below the handle bars. Unlike the Europian model, it's a cigarette lighter type socket and I have a Europian type plug on my heated vest. I wanted to buy an adapter but I'm not sure there will be sufficient room in that small compartment for an extension plug. The other option is to cut my cord and put a cigarette lighter type plug on my heated vest, but I would rather not cut the wire. If I change the plug on my vest, I can make a small slot in the plastic to fit the cord in the compartment.

My question is, where is your accessory socket located on your bikes ( 2008 - 2009 models). I can cut a hole somewhere else but I thought I would check with you guys first. Thanks.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i think thats a strange place to put it, you have to trail wires out of the lid seal! keeps the socket dry i suppose.....

i would leave both items as they are, and put a new BMW/Hella socket on your bike in a convenient place. i have one down by the rear shock adjuster and one on the left side trim panel next to the clocks, pics in my member gallery, and two sets of good fitting instructions in wiki. adapt them to your setup.
i dont know about canada but here we can get plugs that adapt to both sizes, so we can use whatever gadget in the car and on the bike, but i only use them for things i dont use while riding like air pumps, laptop charger etc as the plugs are really long. Hella plugs are neat little things.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Davsato. I'm happy with just one socket, it's mainly for my heated vest. My GPS is directly wired and doesn't require a plug. I know what you refer to when you mention the Hella plug, some refer to it as a universal plug, where you can remove the tip to use in a BMW type socket or add the tip and you can use it in a cigarette type socket. I was told by a retail store selling those that they are not recommended for heated vest.

I can also understand that a socket near the seat is better accessible, I had one on my BMW F650 Dakar and it was easy to use and the cord wasn't dangling on the tank.

Since I had the socket installed by the dealer I will either leave there and get an extension/ converter to come out or I'll relocate the socket outside the compartment. Yesterday I disassembled the fairing , located the socket. It's easy to remove and relocate but time consuming with all the plastic tabs, screws and bolts. I appreciate your feedback.

+

1 - 3 of 3 Posts