Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I modified my Trip Master to display the speed in kmph (my speedo gear unit on the axle is busted..) and it was a breeze to do it. However (quite by chance..) I discovered that the speed reading is not accurate!

I have mounted my Garmin E-Trex 30 GPS unit on the handle bar and the trip computer display gives me my speed in real time (I trust this reading as its satellite based..) which shows an increasing difference as I speed up!

For example, Trip Master reads 40 kmph and my GPS reads 45 kmph. At 60 kmph (TM) its 70 kmph (GPS) and at 100kmph (TM) its 125 kmph (GPS)!!!

I now need to find out WHY the Trip Master is inaccurate and HOW I can rectify this situation.

Any hints, advice, pointers, directions and hopefully solutions anyone?

Much obliged for any of the above....

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
The trip works from your speedo, which are notoriously inaccurate. Many things can alter the speed readings. Changing tyre or wheel circumference, even tyre wear. To make the trip accurate, your would need to get the instruments calibrated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my experience the Tripmaster shows the speed very accurate. I compared my Tripmaster (when i used to have one-now i habe a digital speedo) with an old GPS V and a Montana 600 and they all showed the same speed.
The speedo is driven by the cable and is always a little bit ahead.
Inside the speedo there is a hall sensor that generates the signal for the tripmaster, per each turn of the cable one signal, twelve signals per full wheel turn.
Do you use a different tire size on the front wheel?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No,my tire size is as the original...

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have just come back from Europe on mine and did the mod on the tripmaster before i went,i followed a few citroens with the digital speedos and as you can see them from behind on the bike i can say it was very accurate compared to the car readouts and also against my mates satnav.

Reactions: Udaya XRV SL
1 - 8 of 8 Posts