Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know alot of you rave about ACF but Iv'e not used it myself as yet.
What I was wondering is could anybody tell me if when it dries on does it have a white-ish appearance.
Thing is Iv'e just bought an old R80 thats been stood for years and on first appearance it looked like it might have been stored with a little salt on it, but on starting to clean it I realised it had been sprayed with something, Im'e sure its not WD40 and don't think its ordinary oil but whatever it is its done a damn good preservation job.

Another thing -- there's one or two bits missing AND no drive chain!!
Hell Iv'e been shafted again :confused:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I very much doubt it's ACF. It doesn't seem like the kind of substance to dry. Plus it's fairly new to the bike market, so I wouldn't expect to find it on something that's been stood for years.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Don't know about ACF-50 but I have come across coating which prevent rust etc which dry with a milky white finish. Most of these products clean off reasonably easily.
New cars imported into the uk usually arrive with a protective coating on them again to prevent corrosion (sea water from ferry crossings).
It may take a bit of elbow grease to remove it but just think of what may have been if it wasn't protected.

PS Try using hot soapy water as hot as possible. I remember seeing some Porche's being cleaned off and I'm sure the main part of the process was a steam cleaner.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Check out these two threads here, you might need to be a member to see the pictures, but the third link is to my motorcycle page, have a look at how Rub n Buff has sorted out my engine. Just give the engine a good clean, not neccesarily with a degreaser, but muck off type stuff or the Castrol one should do, then Rub n Buff.
Some people have used ACF for this I think, or was it WD40, I cannot remember, but I've now Rubbed n Buffed my wheels too:thumbup:
BM Bikes & BM Riders Club Forum • View topic - polish for engine casing

BM Bikes & BM Riders Club Forum • View topic - rub n buff hot stuff ?

Motorcycles

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I very much doubt it's ACF. It doesn't seem like the kind of substance to dry. Plus it's fairly new to the bike market, so I wouldn't expect to find it on something that's been stood for years.
+1 ...ACF does not leave a white...ish coat when it dries in my experience.....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies looks like its not ACF-50 then as two of you say not (and if the god father says it ain't -- it ain't!) could be the new car protective stuff alanvendy mentioned as it does have a milky appearance.
It does remove quite easy with autosol, just tried that to see what happened but I will wash it down with something else first. Two fine looking bikes there Windmill john, Iv'e never used the rub n buff stuff but its a definate thought for future use. Built myself a blaster a few years ago so apart from a little solvol Iv'e never really had use for other products.

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Maybe white waxoyl
Merv

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two more options! and yes it could be either, one things for sure it pays to look after your bike. Being a knakkered old fart I don't ride in the winter now (thats long gone) so perhaps I don't need the fantastic protection ACF-50 apparently gives but I do keep my 04 alp laced up with WD40 all the time and yes its mucky and you never really see how clean the bike can be but all the plating is still on it :thumbup:

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
so perhaps I don't need the fantastic protection ACF-50 apparently gives
You don't use ACF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get off this forum!:D
Solvol is good, but just wait until it rains! back to where you started with a Boxer engine; just my tuppeny worth:rolleyes:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't use ACF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get off this forum!:D
Solvol is good, but just wait until it rains! back to where you started with a Boxer engine; just my tuppeny worth:rolleyes:
I only used the solvol autosol on stainless pipes and fixings, last three BMs I had the engines/gearbox got totally stripped blasted with sand then glass which tends to pean the ally surface, but would still be a pain to keep clean if used in all weathers.

Im'e trying to redeem myself here so I can stay on the forum :icon_smile: but now I realise I will get banished for too much talking about BMs on the ALP forum :sad:

Re. the girl pic's last time I tried boxing a cat I got alot more than a punch!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts