Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Searched the site to no avail so looking for some ideas. :confused:

I have an XR650r for which I have just purchased a new Clarke 4 gallon tank. It has the normal fuel tap at the rhs as per the standard tank.

I was thinking of adding another tap to the LHS as it seems there is a big skelp of fuel capacity there that I wont be able to use. Dont want to drill to many holes in it so I've been looking at threaded ones that I can tap a thread into the tank and screw it in. :idea1:

Has anyone done this?:bounce:

Is it worth the hassle? Range was a problem with the standard tank hence the £160 on the clarke tank.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Well if the tank is holds unusable fuel in the left hand side then if you ever run out just lay the bike on its right side for a second it will then run to the right side and will be unable to run back.

Simpler than cutting and drilling.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree with boris, better not to make the extra holes. I've got the DRZ Clarke tank and it doesn't really cause a problem, there is enough sloshing around to keep it balanced until there is about 1 or 2 litres left. Then a quick tilt solves it, you don't need to lay the bike down.

But if you did, I don't think a second tap would be ideal anyway - it would be neater to add a length of fuel line joing both sides as an external balance pipe? It would have to be u-shaped to avoid bubbles.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
When I bought a bigger IMS tank for my XR400R I thought exactly the same thing. I drilled the tank in a suitable place & fitted a drilled out stud that I suitably affixed & it worked a treat. Together with an in-line filter & some short lengths of flexible tubing I was able to use the fuel in the right side of the tank first & then still have some in reserve on the tap side.

I'll post up some piccies when I can find them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look forward to seeing the pics. Did you thread the drilled hole or just glue the stud in? What glue/ sealant did you use?

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I drilled a hole in the right place & tapped it to 1/2" UNF. The stud was machined up the same size & sealed in place using Araldite. I already had some petrol resistant 'Y' & 'L' adapters so I safety wired these into place after a bit of trial & error.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drilled a hole in the right place & tapped it to 1/2" UNF. The stud was machined up the same size & sealed in place using Araldite. I already had some petrol resistant 'Y' & 'L' adapters so I safety wired these into place after a bit of trial & error.

416cc - Any chance you can link the pictures back up again?

Did you insert reinforcement inside the tank or just drill and tap the tank and thread in a barb fitting and seal with araldite?

I got my wife a Clarke tank 4.1 gallon for her little XT225 and 2 gallons are trapped in the right side! She gets the same mileage as her stock tank with this 4.1 gallon tank since the capacity is not realized. She is only 5'2 so laying the bike over to sloch 1/2 a tank of fuel is not an option.

I might opt to use Hylomar on the threads.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
Just seen this last comment. The net is running really slow at the moment so i'll get onto sorting out the pics as soon as.

The reason they're not showing is because I had a major reorganisation of my photobucket account recently & i'm working my way through the forums where I know that pics will have been dropped out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts