·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Rebuilding the linkages only takes an hour or so (as long as nothing is seized). Fitting grease nipples will allow you to get grease into the bearings but not between the collars and the bolts - which is what rusts solid if you leave it long enough.

In my opinion it's not worth it. You're generally better off rebuilding them and doing the job properly.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Has anyone done this?
Did it on my XR, suspension isn't too much different on At. I did the swingarm and all suspension linkages. Knocked the bearings out drilled and tapped the holes for the grease nipples, fitted the nipples refitted the bearings job done.......

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job, jasonbc.

Greasing trough nipples doesen't beat proper cleaning and greasing but i think it would be nice idea to squuze s*** and water out evry now and then.

I usually do linkage maintenance once a year, theres some much work to get dogbone apart, it needs to remove centerstand first. Other bearings can be reached quite easily.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Nice job, jasonbc.

Greasing trough nipples doesen't beat proper cleaning and greasing but i think it would be nice idea to squuze s*** and water out evry now and then.

I usually do linkage maintenance once a year, theres some much work to get dogbone apart, it needs to remove centerstand first. Other bearings can be reached quite easily.
I did put all new bearings in when i fitted the nipples also greased all the needle rollers before fitting the bearings

·
where next?
508 Posts
theres some much work to get dogbone apart, it needs to remove centerstand first.
I find that I just need to remove the split-pin from the centre stand and that gives me room to get a socket in and undo the bolt. The first time I did however it was a different matter as the bolt was in the wrong way round and I had to remove the exhaust headers to get it out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what I made, theres now nipples in three places. All fitted with new bearings and seals and chain guide. And at same time got also quite much stuff rezinced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts