Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know this has been done to death and quite frankly it’s different for each rider and also dependant on things like jacket worn, snood type etc, but....

Has anyone tried this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustab...apter-Kit-Honda-XL700V-Transalp-/162487197450

I don’t want to keep throwing money away...

I have a Givi taller screen on my bike fitted by the PO. I added a small flip up to the top which makes it much better, but I still get a type of buffeting which quite frankly is making me tired.

I had a MRA vario-thingy on my 650 which helped but not great.

I want an Airhead RT screen! T Alper, look away now :D

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
s-l500.jpg

i have not tried that screen but i tried a Palmer Products one on my tiger 955i and it was ok, but not brilliant. but some people think they are great

i can't stand buffeting and i like to have the biggest/tallest screen i can get, hence i have an R1200RT

have you tried taking the mirrors off the bike? sometimes this can cause buffeting. or try adding "side" deflectors onto the screen? airflow can hit the screen, then hit the handguards, this can also cause disrupted airflow

also, that small plastic bead/trim that is sometimes on the edge of a screen can disrupt airflow

i would try experimenting with gaffer taping bits of plastic onto the screen and see if you can identify where the problem is

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps. Best screen ever?.... R80RT

ds99, I’ve done more experimenting in the past to have a degree in it! ;)
hamsterracing (hope the brackets are okay) I like your screen. I have the smaller one and have put a request on the BM forum for a bit of screen to extend mine; picture of what I have just in shot at www.kittos.co.uk

Just on the off chance that either of you have a bit hanging around, 12 to 14” wide by about 3 to 4” tall, I’ll pay for carriage and a few pence extra.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
i have one of these MRA deflectors on my 650 TA and they work well. they are pretty big and are very adjustable

59189_xl.jpg

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
i think the best way to find out where the issue is, is to mess around with bits of plastic (lids from large plastic food tubs are good, as are old helmet visors) and gaffer tape - and it doesn't cost anything

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s a good job no psychiatrist saw my screen on my Portugal trip!
Thank god you can’t quite see it....
Basically it is a small piece of screen across the top of the other screen and this was castellated.
My thinking was it would break up the wind. It worked to a point.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
''I want an Airhead RT screen! T Alper, look away now
''

HaHa you would be alright with one of those barn door screens on an alp :) I once fixed an old bell star visor to the top of a 100rt screen I could sit with my visor up in still air at 100mph :D very fixed position though move sideways and you would get your neck snapped!

Best fairing ever? BMW R100RS with the standard screen, the wind would hit me full in the visor and caught the edge of my shoulders a nice compromise especially if the weather is warm ---- if I were looking I would be very tempted by that adapter kit but small screens are always going to be a compromise for most riders.

Got the Givi touring screen on my 650 but with my height and the fact I have the seat leveled off it probably keeps the wind off my chest :D Don't mind a bit of buffeting but its helmet wind noise that gets me I'me going to experiment taping the visor recess to find out what difference that will make.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Like you the buffeting I can tolerate, its the roar that drivers me crazy! :mad:

I have ordered the thingamajig that hampsterracing suggested. I'll try it with the small bit of screen it comes with.
Hopefully okay, if not I'll pop to the South of England showground on the 31st for the local bike show/jumble to look for a bit of screen; ELK Promotions - Classic Motorcycles

I'm happy with naked bikes..... except for two things:

Abroad above 80mph
Winter time, getting covered in cr..
In other words, if I were a fair weather biker who never exceeded 60mph, I'd never have a screen.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There is another angle on fairing/screens and that is its a lot easier to clean road filth and dead flies off them than clean your riding gear, oh and those extra degrees of warmth when you are riding through the night :) hope the thingamajig works for ya :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that, although they don’t show one for the 700.

I have though today used the one, which arrive yesterday that hamsterraccing suggested; very good.
First part of journey was awful, worse than before, stopped to adjust, much better. Adjusted again for the return trip and even better.
I’ll see how it goes before I decide to extend it, but so far so good; thanks hamsterraccing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i made two small flat ally bars to go under the grub screws inside the rubber to grip the screen and that improved the fit and grip and reduce the chance of damage to the main screen.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the link, didn’t see it in a search.

youre right re the grub screws, fiddly with those two basic plates. I was able to hold the plates in place whilst tightening, but still, a basic design.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i made two 3mm thick ally plates to fit in place of them with dimples in the back to locate the grub screws this improved things a lot.

not bad value for money though :)

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel plagiarism kicking in :D into the shed this weekend.
The ride to work wasn't as good today, so will look at extending that bit of screen; Ala you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts