Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry for another dumb question but after only recently acquiring a 01 TA 650V I can't help feeling has a problem, it feels like I'm having to rev quite a lot to set off quickly.
My other bikes a 1200 Bandit so everyone keeps telling me it because I'm used to that the TA Feels slow.
I'm not so sure and think something's wrong.
I've rode a few 600's in the past fazers etc and tbh they all felt quite lively.
Mine however feels.more.like a tractor!
It's all original including the exhaust which doesn't help as mopeds sound louder
It just feels very gutless and takes a long time to accelerate.
Does this seem normal?
If it's normal fine...I'm not complaining if that's the case I'll live with it, but if it's a problem I want it fixed.
The reason I got it was because the weight of the Bandit causes problems with my knee sometimes...so u wanted a cheap to run bike that I could also use when I go camping etc (the bandit just sinks)
Lastly I read most people.herr are happy with the power/sound and economy of there bikes, some.older 600's to...that alone makes me think there's something wrong with mine....what should.i be expecting from this old girl?
Thanks
Rob

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Have you checked the air filter. I've had difficulties with after-market filters getting clogged (K&N!). When was the last time it was tuned up?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I wouldn't expect tooo much performance from the transalp - it performs like a family car. I have VTR as well and they are chalk & cheese. The TA 650 is a mule with its chuggy 50odd horsies.

Still check for things like air filter / spark plug. i.e give it a service - and good lookover for obvious things like a heated handle grip cable holding back the throttle. Otherwise get it on a dyno to get a baseline and see where you're at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...I'll get on to those things tomorrow, no heated grips or anything holding back the throttle... Tho it did cross my mind that maybe someone had it restricted or have an old fashioned limp mode.
Chugging sounds right... thumping etc sounds right but 50 horses!! 😂 I've got a couple of donkeys me thinks.
I think a 125 moped has more get up and go than this 650 TA... Tomorrow I'll try to discover whether I bought a lemon 🤦🤦

Thanks 👍

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
the 650 only has 55hp, and that is when it left the factory. it isn't a quick bike, but if you open it up from standstill it will beat most cars off the lights until 50 mph

there is no such thing as "limp mode" on a 650 as it has no engine management system etc

i can't imagine what would be causing power loss. if you are used to riding 4 cylinder sports bikes with 90+ hp, then yes, it will feel slow and "chuggy".

apart from checking its firing on all four spark plugs and the air filter is clean etc, i don't know what else to suggest. maybe the carbs are out of sync?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, I had to use the bandit this morning with the wife, when we got back I jumped straight onto the Transalp with my wife to do a kinda instant comparison and tbh if I'm not so shy with the throttle things felt a lot better. The difference between the throttle response on these bikes has thrown me I think, but after today's ride I feel much happier with it, plus it pulled us 2up and we ain't skinny lol.
Feel a bit stupid really if the answer is and was just rev it up more ....🤦

Thank you all for the replies 👍

·
Registered
745 Posts
Could it be restricted to 33bhb??

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
yes, it could be restricted

on a normal 650 transalp if you sit it top gear at 60mph, it should be doing about 4,000 rpm?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Rob2020...If your new beast is pulling two up not so tiny body's about, there cant be to much amiss..1200 Bandit's are massively torgue'y as well as double the horse power to compare too !..here's a question ?...Has someone previous put a much smaller sprocket on the back to lessen the revs and increase economy..I done the opposite to make mine move a bit quicker off the line with my super heavy weight being on board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the help/advice and suggestions.
Are there any forum meets or anything you guys attend?
👍👍👍

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Are there any forum meets or anything you guys attend?
sadly not. i go to the Ace Cafe Adventure bike day in March every year, some others attend that but I've never met them!

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Check the brakes aren't binding & the chain isn't knackered. Both rob power.
You probably just need to readjust your expectations!

Edit does it redline ok through the gears ok? If it hits a brickwall at 6000ish rpm, it'll be restricted.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts