Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, need some help on Sweden. We are some bikers >10 leaving to Sweden from Sandefjord in june/july.
Plan is to do the south-west coast of sweden on ok roads towards helsingborg-helsingør, and back the east coast of Denmark (here we have reasonably good control).

I need advice on best roads and suitable/good places to stay (we like good food and proper beds). Here is the initial plan,

Day 1; Arrive in Strømstad. Day 2; Strømstad –fjållbacka (popular crime author town).Fjållbacka –fårgelanda – Vånersborg –gøteborg (overnight stay in / near Goteborg) .
Day 3; Gøteborg – borås – varnamo – våxjø? – helsingor/helsingborg near Kobenhavn (Denmark) –Ebeltoft – Day 4; udbyhøj pull ferry– along ålborg bugt to Ålborg and Day5; back home with colorline

Any advise is welcome,
- routes
- places to stay / eat
- places to visit/see
- Accommodation for >10 persons, Hotels, cabins etc.

Thanx

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Ok, give a few minutes and I'll see what I can come up with.

By the way, it takes longer time to take the ferry Sandefjord-Strömstad than it takes to drive.
Trust me I have tested.

/Kjell

Update

Sandefjord-Göteborg: http://goo.gl/maps/dp3SD
Göteborg-Växjö: http://goo.gl/maps/qpwEc
Växjö-Helsingborg: http://goo.gl/maps/Jn0WV

I know You did not ask for it, but here is my advice on the Danish route. http://goo.gl/maps/dKwLk
You are allowed to drive on the beach between Blokhus and Lökken and that's fun in a sort of Dakar way.
Beware though that the Police sometimes check for speeding vehicles.

I would recommend Hostels at that time of year since most Hotels would be booked.

I can not help wondering why on earth You would like to visit Färgelanda, Vänersborg, Borås, Värnamo or Växjö.
I have visited all of them places in Sweden and they are somewhat dull... :)

I'll think some more and see if I can come up with something interesting to see along the way

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kjell,

Great advise. Thank you for the time you spent on this.
The towns mentioned are not my preference, know very little about Swedish towns, but we have some crime fiction readers in our group ...
Would you recommend a different route ? Interesting your point with the ferry, certainly will consider that to make it a less stressful first day trying to reach the ferry ...
Thanks for the Denmark trip too, Its the same we were thinking, good to get it confirmed.
Yes we know the beach you refer to, its great, but some of the others have Harleys, so rust is an issue ...:toothy10:. Tourances not too fond of sand in my experience ..
Interesting point about the police, didn't know that, what an odd place to have speed control ?

Any Hostels to recommend approx. a suitable one day drive from Strømstad ? Helsingborg ?
A little advise udby høy ferry. if you are many buy a common trip ticket (klippekort) instead of single ones ...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgetting those "dull" towns, will the coast line be a nicer drive. A collegue mentioned zig-zagging along the coast as an option ?
Which are the must see nice / scenic places to visit ?

Seems the ferry from Sandefjord came up to have a rest (as we are driving from kristiansand first) and to avoid the motorways near the border.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Yes the coastline will be a much, much better choise!

This is a good route:
http://goo.gl/maps/89dMN

Yes, the ferry will offer some resting time and coffee for tired drivers.

Kungälv some 22 km north of Göteborg have a nice Hotel with fair food.
At least they did when I used to live in Kungälv.
Hotell Fars Hatt

Just a few meters from the Hotel there is a location that rents rooms, and have areas for camping, but the rooms are more like a Hostel standard rooms.
Södra Bohuslän med Orust, Tjörn, Kungälv, Marstrand och Stenungsund - Kungälvs Vandrarhem och Camping, vandrarhem Kungälv

As for interesting locations worth visiting you have to tell me what you would like to see, and I will tell you were to go.

Kungälv for instance has a big fortress that dates from 1100 and Norwegians and Swedes used to fight wars there a lot!
Somewere around year 1000 the three kings of Norway, Sweden and Denmark had a meeting in Kungälv (King river) and drew up some guide lines how to preserve peace.
(Just another useless meeting as it turned out...).

/Kjell

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again, have to confere with the group on what to see ...

Is the coast or inland the nicest (curvy roads and nice views) south of Goteborg too ?

HH

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
See map above.

I'm sorry to say, but southern part of Sweden is boring when it comes to interesting roads.
(Thats why I usually do my motorcycling roadtrips in Norway...)

Sure there are some fun streches that can be found, but for you guys that are travelling through Sweden it would be better to drive in areas were there are many nice roads, and with nice scenery along the way.
Costal areas are usually nice if you keep away from the bigger freeways and motorways.

Let me know if You need further information or if You would like me to inform You were there are motorcycleshops along the way.

Sweden is cheaper compared to Norway and Denmark, and I have meet severall Norwegian riders at the shops in Göteborg as they are buying motorcycle items.

One word of caution: You will be visiting the west coast of Sweden during our summer vaccation time, this means that most Hotels are boked and the major roads are full of caravan haulers and stressed drivers.
I would advice You to book your rooms as soon as possible since your crowd consist of 10 or more.

/Kjell

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again Kjell, yes we know the phenomona. We usually take these trips in late June, but due to work that was not possible this year ... lets blast past those campers ...
Booking in progress, seems we will be ok there. Motorcycleshops along the way is a great idea, yes please (hopefully we can make some time for this).
Apart from that i am very appreciative of the help you have provided, we will surely enjoy the trip this year too.

HH

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Trollhättan
Bike Trollh?ttan G?teborg - Bike Trollh?ttan och G?teborg. Sveriges st?rsta MC-handlare. Hos oss
Sells BMW, Harley, Honda, Yamaha, KTM and all sorts of riding gear, spare parts etc.

Göteborg

Honda: Home
Sells Honda and riding gear, spare parts etc.

Yamaha: Home - YAMAHA CENTER GÖTEBORG
Sells Yamaha and riding gear, spare parts etc.

Triumph & Kawasaki: Start
Sells mainly Triumph and KTM and have a big stock of second hand bikes of different marks.
Also sells riding gear, spare parts etc.

Harley Davidson: Harley Davidson MC i Göteborg | Probike
and Köp nya och begagnade harleydavidson motorcyklar på Harleyshopen
Harley bikes and spareparts and Harley gear.

BMW, Honda, Kawasaki and service center for Öhlins: MC Däck, Service, Verkstad & Delar i Göteborg från Kenneths MC-Service
Have some spareparts in stock, not much in riding gear, but is the best mechanic in town!

All above have a workshop if you have a breakdown.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, thanks!
I have what I need.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the Sweden Motorbike road map now too, excellent layout and quality ... Time to pin the route.:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts