Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on here had experience of good advanced riding training courses or similar.
I intend to do a bikesafe day with cops but would also like to improve (plenty of room for improvement there) my riding skills.

Not interetsed in super speed or track days, it's more to do with being slightly quicker and definately safer!

Thanks for any tips.:thumbright:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Look for either RoSPA or IAM on the tinternet (both have their own websites so easy to find) and there will be a local groups which are well worth becoming a member of :thumbright:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
hen you have done the Bikesafe they will recommend the Course you should go for. Mine recommended the IAM so I will give that a go next year.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
IAM depending on recomendation from the Bikesafe guys - Im doing the IAM course now and it is good but they are now limited to NOT allow you over speed limits so its kind of less 'advanced' and more 'safe'.

If you do a trackday with a decent marshal, thay can offer you good advice on how to ride 'your' bike quicker and smoother and a lot of this is transferable to the road... the bit where control is required if upto you regardless of training or advice. Get to talking to peeps who have done trackdays or know marshalls - some of them are also Advanced Instructors or Learner Instructors - get a recomendation for your area.

I had a marshal follow me round for a session and then lead me for one with loads of feed back inbetween - transformed my confidence in brakes, lean angle and grip. Biggest ONROAD difference was on slow corners and entry to corners as well as counter-steering techniques.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
excellent tips folks thank you all!!!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
As I understand it, IAM is a course, test and accreditation, whilst RoSPA is the same, except that you need to re-test every 3 years IIRR.

So this means if you want a good course and then a certificate for life go IAM,if you want continued assessment go for RoSPA.

RoSPA is probably more hassle, but we all know that our bad habits can firm with time, so in this respect, if you are serious about the safety side, the RoSPA course should keep you on the ball.

This would be my case, I know my roadsense has improved over the years, but I'm also certain to have picked up some horrendous habits, because I may trust said roadsense over training: not necessarily a good thing: one should never usurp the other....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wondering if anyone on here had experience of good advanced riding training courses or similar.
I intend to do a bikesafe day with cops but would also like to improve (plenty of room for improvement there) my riding skills.

Not interetsed in super speed or track days, it's more to do with being slightly quicker and definately safer!

Thanks for any tips.:thumbright:
Hi, by far the best way to all-around improve your riding skills on and off road is to start enduro. I am not talking about extreme situations, plain dirt roads with a bit of mud will do. Once you 've learned how to handle your bike on dirty, rocky and slippery terrains, you will see a HUGE improvement when driving on solid asphalt.

It certainly does take some time to get the hang of it, but believe me, it pays off handsomely!

P.S. Never ride alone in the mountains, take a friend with you.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that sounds good advise.....I would be reluctant to take my beloved vara aand achancing dropping it but I still see value in your advice.

If I had one of the things I do not have and if I didn't have one of the ones I do have.......namely garage and wife that is :)
I would have two bikes......

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see . . :thumb:

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention . . If anyone takes my advice be warned that you and the bike will drop again and again, so boots, knee protectors, gloves, jacket with ptotective paddings, and helmet are mandatory!

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
If you fancy an off road day but not with your own bike, honda yamaha and ktm do an off road experience day. They supply you with everything including the bike.
About £120 - £150 or there about I think.

IAM and ROSPA - both good.

A mentor will be assigned to you and you pay them a tenner per rideout for their petrol ( price will vary depending on who and where).

They'll take you for weekly runs till your ready for your test.

You'll also get to do slow-control days inbetween usually run in a group scenario.

IAM - pass and thats it.

ROSPA - your grade is good for 3 years then you need to retake the test.

ROSPA is graded as ''sell the bike and get a car'' (joke) ''bronze'' ''silver'' and ''gold''.

You'll see a nice reduction in your insurance premium if you have any sort of advanced qualification.

You'll also need an advanced qualification to do stuff like ride the SERV company bike on bloodruns, get involved in marshalling on public roads at cycling events and so on.

But much much more imprtant than any of that - it'll keep you safer, smoother on the bike and you'll enjoy your riding a lot more.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's great advice mate thanks
I am on Bike safe in Nov and then I will look around for other options!

·
???
495 Posts
I would love to do a bikesafe day but I have been unable to find any in the southwest :( the constabulary link doesn't work on the web.

Who normally coordinates them, is it the council or the constabulary? If I knew which person to track down I would.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I left a message on this number:

If you would like to book a BikeSafe-London Rider Skills Day please telephone our booking agents Motorcycle UK Limited on 08452 307 407

They called me back in a short time...good luck

·
???
495 Posts
Thanks for that, I am sitting in a bar in Betws Y Coed supping guiness at the mo! iPhones eh who'd have them? I shall try Mandy on Monday morning, Cheers.

·
Plodder
211 Posts
I would love to do a bikesafe day but I have been unable to find any in the southwest :( the constabulary link doesn't work on the web.

Who normally coordinates them, is it the council or the constabulary? If I knew which person to track down I would.
dorset bikesafe are contactable here:

mailto:[email protected]

D & C are contactable through this link:
Devon & Cornwall Police | BikeSafe

I think, in common with other force areas, they'll have probably stopped it for the year by now, it's getting close to crimbo and every traffic officer will be busy with drink drive related campaigns instead, the bikesafes tend to run during the high rate of death/serious injury times of year, late spring to late summer.

At least your local forces offer it, GMP still doesn't offer bikesafe, due to "lack of fatalities!" - probably because gmp area bikers seem to all go to derbyshire to get into accidents.:confused:

·
???
495 Posts
OK

I phoned Mandy today, jeeeeeeez what a chatterbox. Devona nd Cornwall have another bike safe on at the end of November (only £25). The content seems to vary from force to force but this is riding on a 2:1 ratio with a bike copper all day after a 40 minute intro. Sounds like a good day to me.

Grumpy - thanks for the heads up on Mandy - Great personality ;)

·
Registered
779 Posts
OK

I phoned Mandy today, jeeeeeeez what a chatterbox. Devona nd Cornwall have another bike safe on at the end of November (only £25). The content seems to vary from force to force but this is riding on a 2:1 ratio with a bike copper all day after a 40 minute intro. Sounds like a good day to me.

Grumpy - thanks for the heads up on Mandy - Great personality ;)
Whereabouts is this based? I think I'd really benefit from a bikesafe day, but like you have found they all seem to stop over the winter!

·
???
495 Posts
This one will be in Exeter on Sunday 29th of November, but don't hang around matey as I'm sure they will have limited places :)

Let me know if you decide to go, we can meet up for a cuppa first. It is at Westpoint, the county show ground.

·
???
495 Posts
Ah yes nearly forgot. The number in that link is good to leave a message it is a silent answerphone that ensures messages are kept and not lost. If she is in she will pick up on 01626 323702

1 - 20 of 35 Posts