Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I don't want to bury her under the patio, well not this week anyway.

what I do want is to try and convince her to give biking a go, I know she'd like to really but she's convinced she'll not cope with it and look silly.
the other day I was trying to talk her into it and she says 'My dad wouldn't be very happy about me riding a bike' - she's 41 for fecks sake, about time she lived her life for herself.

My daughters got a 125 scooter and I can't even get to to have a go on that.

she's happy enough to go out with me but I'd rather she had her own bike as I think she'd enjoy it more and I'm not that experienced a rider to be 100% happy with a pillion.

so, anyone got any suggestions apart from trading her in for a transalp / Varadero etc tempting as that may be.

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Ian how about we do just that, ladies day out. Those with bikes come on bikes those without by any means neccassary. Will see if we can get a few 125s in a car park with one of our friendly bike instructors followed by some entertainment in the evening

let me rally the troups.

Also direct her to my lucky sevens ride report, that's what she could do if she tried it

I'll pm you my phone number too in case a chat would help.

How's that for a start

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Why not buy her a voucher for a CBT test and tell her it's an early birthday pressie, if you tell the bike school whats going on and don't book an actual place on the course they might agree a "sale or return" basis, if you can't convince her to have a nice day out on someone elses bike without you watching then you're probably wasting your time,
good luck :thumbup:

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had thought about trying to get her on a course when my daughter does hers for her full licence, I'd thought it might be a nice Mother, daughter thing they could share. but if my daughter gets out of bed the wrong side it could equally be Armageddon.

a couple of things to think of there but keep 'em coming.

I've got time as she's recovering from a car crash that she says wouldn't have happened if she was on a bike, so she's at least thinking like a biker already.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Can't help. In the same position here.

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
She might be interested to know that I rode a bike for the first time (except as pillion) at the age of 51. I was very nervous, and it was challenging, but I've also really enjoyed it and found it very exciting. It's put a spring back in my step and a sparkle in my eyes! I set out with the thought that, if I didn't enjoy it or get on with it, I wouldn't have to continue, but at least I'd know.

She can read some of the threads here:

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/chatter/39532-lulus-most-excellent-adventure-part-1-a.html

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/chatter/39594-lulus-most-excellent-adventure-part-2-a.html

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/chatter/39933-lulus-most-excellent-adventure-part-3-a.html

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/riding/40664-lulus-theory-test.html

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/chatter/44242-van-van-has-landed.html

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-reports-pictures/44887-getting-there-slowly.html

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Lulu,

that's going to be really useful, one thing that's been a hang-up for her is the fact she's too short at 5' but she's only got experience of my bikes and as I'm 6'3" they've all seemed massive.

I'll print your reports off an leave them for her to read at her leisure.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hi Ian
your problem is one a lot of lads have myself included
I was lucky for a short while though as my better half DID take the plunge and passed her CBT and I got her an
almost new CG125
she did really great on it and once rode all the way to the lake district and back even went up alston cobbled hill
everything was going great until we got our garage broken into and two bagheads rode off on her pride and joy.
since then i've rebuilt the garage like fort knox but now she doesn't want to own anything that will attract the
local criminal zombie element onto our property despite numerous assurances from me that they would need some kind of
anti-tank weapon to get through the new improved door.
so for a short while I had what you now want and i've got to say it was way better , she was far more enthusiastic
about motorcycling and we certainly increased our circle of friends..
now I'm back to riding alone
good luck with the persuading matey it could open up a whole new world for her but she has to have some kind of initial
spark herself i think but just keep working on her and see where it gets you there are some absolutely brilliant
female riders out there here's hoping she joins them.
and if you havn't read sharrie's lucky 7's ride report you should it's very inspiring.

Derek..

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Now Lou it's rude to tell fibs.

There is NO WAY you are anywhere near 51 years old.

Not a chance
Awww Sharrie, thanks, that's very nice, but 51 - is sad but true, cept that it's 52 now... but age is all in the mind (or so I keep trying to remind myself :rolleyes:). Anyhow, motorbiking is definitely the best 'youth pill' I've come across :thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
that was just that one time and he was only 700 miles down the road:D
And the next year one of you got a speeding ticket I seem to recall;)

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Thanks Lulu,

that's going to be really useful, one thing that's been a hang-up for her is the fact she's too short at 5' but she's only got experience of my bikes and as I'm 6'3" they've all seemed massive.

I'll print your reports off an leave them for her to read at her leisure.
5ft is small as I know as a friend of mine who is 5'1" is having difficulty finding a place with a bike small enough to do her DAS. It is just possible though. The Suzuki GN is still made as a 125 and with the Yamaha SR is short, unbreakable and a favourite of CBT schools. They are getting thin on the ground, but the GN250 and GN400 have the same frame so are some of the few non-learner bikes a 5ft person can ride (unless you count the low-rider style)

She will not have a huge choice of bikes, but something that will buzz along the motorway or A roads in comfort at a rate that won't get in the way of other traffic IS achievable.

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts