Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recommended to add a thread as I'm currently having another fad of re-building my Africa Twin. I bought it 5 years ago as a 'project' and proceeded to leave it in the shed for 4 years! Last Christmas I dismantled it in a shed, since then I've moved house and have the space to get my teeth into it. So last week I gave most of the metal parts to a mate of mine to clean and remove the dodgy spray paint from a previous owner. I may need some tips when it comes to the build due the gap between dismantle and re-build!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So today I picked up the engine and tomorrow of dropping of at the engine builders so he can strip it and then rebuild and replace any parts that need to be. Also dropped the tank and fairings of so they can be sprayed in white so it will be back to original factory finish.

The wheels look good already, not sure if there is an easy way to check that the spokes? Assume it would be case of checking the nuts on the end are at the correct torque?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The frame has now been soda blasted and it is in great condition so next job will be paint. Whats the best process for the frame? (assume powder coat but concerned about the thickness of powder coating) The engine has been stripped and we have a list of parts that need replacing including the main gearbox shaft that the sprocket goes on. The teeth are worn on the shaft so has to be done., appears to have been caused by an aftermarket sprocket that has had to much chatter. I will be using genuine parts which cost an arm and a leg but from my experience its a false economy to use pattern parts.

My mind is already turning to the first trip so need to get some cost effective panniers sorted, any advise welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
This is what i'd like to do to my AT but cant bring myself to take it apart while its working hope it all goes smoothly.:thumbup: Have you had any thoughts on how to clean the rads up i got spare ones for mine and been looking for some way to strip them ready for painting but not found anything

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have bought some aluminium rads, the old ones were absolutely knackered so decided to safe some weight and upgrade. I will probably replace the oil cooler as well while I'm at it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Loving the rebuild thread !
I completed an RD07a rebuild two years ago

Powdercoating the frame is fine - just make sure you retain the electrical earthing points upon rebuild. You can either shield them before coating (best)
or clean them afterwards.
I also rebuilt my wheels with stainless spokes. Instructions are on this forum. That said your look good as is

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some completed parts are arriving back so its getting to the interesting bit, starting the build. The engine/gearbox has had a complete restoration by Martins Motorcycles in Reading who did a fine job at the right price so the engine should run perfectly now. The chassis has been painted as per original colour and spec, decided against powder coating as sometimes water can get behind the powder coat and rot away at the frame. Hopefully just having it painted will enable me to see an early signs of water penetration.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Its steady but enjoyable progress, finding bits to refurbish as i go, learning how to do stuff and adding to the wish list of enhancements but trying to focus on the basics. Achievement of today we managing to remove a brake pad pin that had a round hole rather than an allen key hole. Managed to remove the pn without damaging thread etc so have just purchased a new pin for a couple of £. Trying to keep myself in check and not rush it!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Slowly but surely, may get a big boost if I'm stuck at home in quarantine!! Every cloud and all that. Got box's full of parts to go back on but waiting for last batch of bits from the spray shop.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts