Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently bought a sat nav I struggled to find a Place to mount it on the RD07a that I was happy with, the handle bar ram mount just didn;t seem to work for me. I've seen them mounted in place of the trip meter but call me old fashioned I kind of like the old thing and it is useful. Having decided to mount it above the trip meter I started looking for fixing points for a little fabricated steel frame but there just aren't that many places to get a good fixing.

I was about to give up and go back to the handle bar mount when I remembered I had some epoxy resin and fibre glass cloth handy, I used an old screen, some cardboard and parcel tape to make a basic mold then laminated a mount section to fix to the screen. Took a coule of evenings in the bodging area to come up with this.
IMG_0236.jpg

It mounts to the screen using the same well nuts but it does have rubber washers between screen and mount to reduce annoying sqeaks.
IMG_0239.jpg

Thelaminated structure is pretty rigid but after a breif test I decided it needed some additional steel bracing to the fairing sub frame screen mounts.
IMG_0243.JPG

The sat nav dock fixes to an aluminium bracket.

IMG_0240.jpg

Here it is installed and tested.

DSC04008.jpg

All in all pretty pleased, the position is fantastic really easy to read. It does shake a bit over the rough stuff but on the road where this will be used it will be spot on. Spain and France here we come:p

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I love a good bodge and that's not one.
Looks like it should go into production. :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
More excellent work Jon

Reactions: Stuart D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers both Pauls going great survived the Bardenas Reales today bike even got some dirt on it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts