Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the states, but Im from Portugal. I bought a africa twin last year to travel europe. It seemed like a good bike, ive always liked them. But I have no idea how they compare to any other bike.

The bike had problems with the rectified, it couldnt handle my heated gear in the winter. After I fixed that. It started to have no power.

The bike would be very rough running.

If I gave it gas, it would hesitate when I sped up and slow down. It felt like the bike was not getting gas, it seemed like it would die.

The bike never stopped running, but it just felt like a dog. Really wimpy, and was really, really slow.

It suprised me that it did not wheelie with just the throttle too. I don't know if thats normal too.

I guess Im looking for experienced riders to tell me about the africa twin, if its powerful. I have ridden a dl650(suzuki) and that was WAY more powerful than my africa twin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
DL has better power/weight ratio. That is why it does wheelies much easily.
But my @ is a good runner. No problems at all,but so far i have not managed to pull a normal wheelie(clutch slipping). Wheelies are not my target but just have tried few times.
a small video i found from the internet video 6mb
 

·
aka Oxbone :)
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
Scorch.... I think you have a carburettor problem there mate..... keep checking this post and someone will come along and confirm or give a correct diagnosis...
 

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
raigo said:
a small video i found from the internet video 6mb
I'm with you on the oomph question Scorch... Well, I've moaned about my AT's lack of oomph compared with my last bike/s anyway. I have got used to it and just ride differently. But having checked out the vid (thanks!), there's no way mine has the pull to do any of that - not that I'm focused on that kind of thing, you understand :?
I've just received a new set of plugs so I'll be having the old ones out and have a look around the machine, check choke cable, fuel delivery, etc. - if it stops raining! :teeth:
Ciao
 

·
Need Constant Supervision
Joined
·
2,495 Posts
The main culprit for bad performance is ALWAYS the damn choke plungers sticking. Take them out very carefully as the plastic housing is prone to break and at £40 a pop you don't want that to happen. Make sure the choke cable is routed properly and not stuck somewhere.

There is several threads regarding this so have a bit of a search on the "sticky choke" subject :thumb:
 

·
whys the rum always gone?
Joined
·
17,680 Posts
its an RD03 unless im mistaken 8) 8) 8) and from what i felt when i went to look at the one im buying they are lighter than the later bikes by quite a bit
8) :shock: oh look at me all RD03 biased all of a sudden :lol:

but you can wheelie any bike if you just got the cajones to do it but i would recomend you practice with sombody elses :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

me when i do it its always by accident :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Chad said:
its an RD03 unless im mistaken 8) 8) 8) and from what i felt when i went to look at the one im buying they are lighter than the later bikes by quite a bit
8) :shock: oh look at me all RD03 biased all of a sudden :lol:

but you can wheelie any bike if you just got the cajones to do it but i would recomend you practice with sombody elses :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent chad, when I see you maybe you'll let me have a go. :teeth: :teeth:

They seem really front heavy to me. I used to a bit of enduro and trials and can remember quite a few times I'd end up on my bum or running after the bike :) :D :D
 

·
Complete Member
Joined
·
3,904 Posts
Chad said:
its an RD03 unless im mistaken 8) 8) 8) and from what i felt when i went to look at the one im buying they are lighter than the later bikes by quite a bit
Yeah especially when you get that big steel petrol tank off :shock:

Chad said:
8) :shock: oh look at me all RD03 biased all of a sudden :lol:
You know it's the best now doncha 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feed back, im going to look up sticky choke, maybe I can find the answer to the poor running.

Im also going to order the facet pump so i can install it when I get to Europe.


Anyone fancy a Portugal-Italy trip? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
The AT is not a racer but it's not lazy either and delivers the modest power it has on tap fairly generously (standard gearing seems spot-on). I'd imagine the revvy DL is especially better accelerating from standstill, but like others already suggested something must have been not quite right with yours. I know from experience the AT runs rather dull and jerky in mid-revs when the choke gets stuck for example. How many miles per gallon was it doing? If it seriously drops down to early forties when doing moderate long-distance touring I bet it was running too rich.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
robelst said:
The AT is not a racer but it's not lazy either and delivers the modest power it has on tap fairly generously (standard gearing seems spot-on). I'd imagine the revvy DL is especially better accelerating from standstill, but like others already suggested something must have been not quite right with yours. I know from experience the AT runs rather dull and jerky in mid-revs when the choke gets stuck for example. How many miles per gallon was it doing? If it seriously drops down to early forties when doing moderate long-distance touring I bet it was running too rich.
I dont really recall the mileage, but I remember thinking to myself that the africa twins really drank gas. lol

I think at 177km I had to switch to reserve. 177km is abotu 109 miles.

According to some guys here, the africa twin can get 200 miles to the tank? Incredible.. I wonder why im getting crappy mpg.


Another thing is that my africa twin sits most of the year(i know, i know) waiting my return to Europe. I only come to europe 1-2 times a year. But in those times I have been putting 10k miles per visit. What kind of things should I watch out from the bike sitting so long?
 

·
whys the rum always gone?
Joined
·
17,680 Posts
scorch said:
robelst said:
The AT is not a racer but it's not lazy either and delivers the modest power it has on tap fairly generously (standard gearing seems spot-on). I'd imagine the revvy DL is especially better accelerating from standstill, but like others already suggested something must have been not quite right with yours. I know from experience the AT runs rather dull and jerky in mid-revs when the choke gets stuck for example. How many miles per gallon was it doing? If it seriously drops down to early forties when doing moderate long-distance touring I bet it was running too rich.
I dont really recall the mileage, but I remember thinking to myself that the africa twins really drank gas. lol

I think at 177km I had to switch to reserve. 177km is abotu 109 miles.

According to some guys here, the africa twin can get 200 miles to the tank? Incredible.. I wonder why im getting crappy mpg.


Another thing is that my africa twin sits most of the year(i know, i know) waiting my return to Europe. I only come to europe 1-2 times a year. But in those times I have been putting 10k miles per visit. What kind of things should I watch out from the bike sitting so long?

holy shit no wonder its running like a dog :shock: methinks those carbs need some serious TLC :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
scorch said:
Incredible.. I wonder why im getting crappy mpg.
What Maverick suggested: have a look at those carb choke plungers.
As a matter of fact, check anything between the chokelever and those plungers: The cable splitter is infamous for being sticky as well.
Best start is getting those plungers out though, and only put them back once they seem to operate smoothly.

scorch said:
What kind of things should I watch out from the bike sitting so long?
I'd drain the carbs; the fuel will evaporate anyway but may leave desposits. Keep the tyres out of direct sunlight if you can. You may want to take out the battery as well and take it with you to connect it to a charger, say, every 6 weeks. Or connect it to an automatic charger permenantly if possible. Washing it and then covering it in some kind of preservative spray like ACF50 or some silicon based stuff usually doesn't hurt either, but also depends where the bike is being stored.
 
G

·
Re: wheelie video. Jeans? Just so stupid really. The amount of skin you can lose in coming off is horrific, and doing wheelies is one of the most likely times you'll come off. DON'T DO IT. :shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,170 Posts
Scorch

Check these...

1) Choke. Complete assembly incuding splitter cable.

2) Carburretor diaphragms. Not damaged etc. BE CAREFUL, they are Fragile.

3) Carb balance.

4) Fuel pump

5) Fuel filter.

200mpg should be EASILY achieveable on an RD03/RD04 if you are running at sensible speeds. Not so good if you use a lot of revs or 80-90mph plus all the time.

Good Luck


Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Scorch Hi,
Looks like u got lots of good advice. Just 2 other things u might want to look at before getting out the spanners. Petrol does get stale ( Dilbert would call it something else and explain it in detail ) when left a long time. maybe try some fresh. Other thing is the tank breathing? check the breather hose is not blocked or snagged.
Good luck and Portugal sounds great to me especialy at this time of year:toothy2:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top