Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I sold my Transalp just before my last rip to Iraq (Ex Army) and am now feeling bereft!

I think I want some more grunt this time and am therefore looking at Africa Twin (- possibly even Varadero?)

I would love any advice anyone can offer. Particularly as I am 6'6" tall! The 2004 Transalp I had was fine. But I could have had even higher - knees didn't quite tuck in under the tank!

Is the AT as tall - or hopefully taller?
What are the differences between RD07s, 03s and 04s ??!!
Is it really ok - as so many people seem to do - to buy a 20 year old bike?!
Are there any pitfalls to look out for when buying?

Any info MUCH appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi All,

I sold my Transalp just before my last rip to Iraq (Ex Army) and am now feeling bereft!

I think I want some more grunt this time and am therefore looking at Africa Twin (- possibly even Varadero?)

I would love any advice anyone can offer. Particularly as I am 6'6" tall! The 2004 Transalp I had was fine. But I could have had even higher - knees didn't quite tuck in under the tank!

Is the AT as tall - or hopefully taller?
What are the differences between RD07s, 03s and 04s ??!!
Is it really ok - as so many people seem to do - to buy a 20 year old bike?!
Are there any pitfalls to look out for when buying?

Any info MUCH appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave
I think you need a BMW GSA with a high seat at 6'06"

I moved to one as the AT was too small for me at 6'02" ( long legs!)
:(

but AT's are fantastic bikes I know I've had two now but both have been sold and after 3 yrs with the GSA
I'm more than happy to recommend them to anybody.

I do miss both of my AT's!

good luck with your search

or take a look at UKGSER website

see here

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

like this one on a 2001 Y plate for £1500 ( nothing to do with me I just saw the advert)

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2317550#post2317550

The tallest bike I currently own is my Armstrong....
I nearly need a box to climb aboard! infact its too tall for me!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

anyone else got a tuppence to throw in?

are any of the AT models taller ? can you raise the seat?

my Transalp was ok - so are the ATs shorter?

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

anyone else got a tuppence to throw in?

are any of the AT models taller ? can you raise the seat?

my Transalp was ok - so are the ATs shorter?
Hello and welcome to the forum:thumbup:
You might find that on this forum 6'6 is about normal as we have proper tall people on here:teeth:
I think you will be fine with a @,the vara is a bit lower but you got more space on it.
I would say testride both and see.
Of course if you have the moneys try a GSA as well as they are very adjustable
I am only 6'2 but had all 3 bikes and i recon you should be good on all of them
Lootch(6'90 and Chad(6'7) both had @'s and found them ok
Down to your choice of bike me thinks:teeth:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you vader - good to know.

can't imagine where i will test an AT ?!

not many for sale down in the west country either!

GSA is SO expensive!

thanks again

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
thank you vader - good to know.

can't imagine where i will test an AT ?!

not many for sale down in the west country either!

GSA is SO expensive!

thanks again
Well there are a few guys down your way,so maybe meet up with some and at least have a sit on:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
superb - thank you.

According to Mr Haynes the seat height on the AT is more than the TA -

Transalp (XL650V), seat height is 850 mm and changed to 843 mm from 2004 on.

Africa Twin -

XRV750 L to N (1990 to 1992), seat height is 880 mm

XRV750 P to S (1993 to 1995), seat height is 860 mm

XRV750 T onwards (1996 on), seat height is 870 mm

Not a huge amount in it, as you can see.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hi
in my personal experience (6'.5") I have had both @ and Vara and had no probbelms on either. Both bikes very confortable but if you are planning long tarmac trips vara has the upper hand...
I took a test ride on a GS and found it not as confy as the varadero but once again it is down to personal preferences....good luck

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
You really need to consider what you're going to be using the bike for first of all. How many miles do you anticipate riding it? Motorway or slower roads?

The earlier AT's (RD03 and RD04) are slightly taller and firmer sprung as standard, so tend to feel a lot higher, although the later bikes (RD07 and RD07a) aren't much lower and have an edge with fuel economy.

All AT's are now considered old, but the earlier ones are verging on classic, so the implications are parts are getting slightly harder to get, but not impossible (German eBay has loads) and really good original bikes are starting to appreciate in value. This is helped by Honda forgetting that they once had a great bike they could have developed even further!

Now for comfort. The AT cannot be compared in any way to a Vara or a GS with regard to seat comfort, unless you have a carbon fibre ar$e. If you ride 200 miles on an early AT, especially on a motorway, you will know it. Don't confuse long hauling lack of comfort with a failing of the bike though, because if you have a good AT, you can put a pin anywhere on the map and it will take you there, just a bit more sedately.

I've never ridden a Vara, but my belief is an AT would be more agile off road, and probably survive any tumbles a bit better, whereas the Vara will whisk you along the motorway in relative comfort with off-road pretensions. Consider them as Land Rover and BMW X5.

Shop wisely, and you'll always get your money back on a good Africa Twin (well that is until Honda bring out a new one maybe!!)

I'm sure you won't regret buying one.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
I have recently (4 weeks ago) bought an AT. Im 6' 5" and find the riding comfortable, was on the bike 2 up for about 5 hours on Sunday and at the end of the ride was dissapointed to get home....so its comfy!!!! The shocks and handle bars can be raised(thanks to those that raised mine over the weekend!!! it has made a huge difference to my riding style).

I was also concerned about the age of the bikes so was lucky enough to buy a 2000 model with 11.5K on the clock. But dont be fooled by low milage bikes...its not all roses as I have found out.Lack of use over 10 years meant that I needed to replace the fuel pump and the battery packed in meaning I needed a new one. These bikes will keep going past 100K.

Its a great bike. I wanted an all rounder, something that could get me distances on road but also something to play with in the dirt as well.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The RD04 was taller and had a harder spring than the RD07, but with the addition of a Hagon adjustable shock (about £350) you can have it at whatever height you like.

·
AfricAddict
65 Posts
Owing an AT is a "carte blanche" for your travels. Very few bikes can take you literally anywhere, doing everything on an average level though.

If you don't plan on leaving the tarmac and don't commute in heavy traffic, you could go for a vara, they tour really well and have enough HP to keep you entertained on the highway. But IMO, if you go at 1000cc, there are other bikes to look at.

The AT is a hands on bike, simple and reliable. Yes the early models are even classic! You can get it cheaply, but you'll have to put some more money on her, even the latest models are now 8 years old. Go test ride one and see what it feels to ride her, I fell in love with it and still gives me a chill when I stare her at the garage. Height-wise, you won't have problems even if you have to make some minor adjustments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks to everyone for the information - only one thing else to say ...

would anyone like to sell me one?!!

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Can be fixed with additional seat stuffing. I had a new one made, and it lifted me about 3 cm ... Huge difference!

/T

1 - 18 of 18 Posts