Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NEW BATCH NOW IN STOCK 01/062015

2 taken leaving 4 spare sets.

I visited a CNC machine shop last Friday for my work and whilst there asked them to quote for sets of fork extension slugs. These will be CNC machined out of aircraft grade aluminium and will be similar to the attached image (one I produced on my lathe) with the exception of having a 17mm hex machined into the top and also having a scheider valve thread to allow the fitting of either valve like the RD03 and RD04 or an aftermarket value with quick release button.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Price are as follows:-

Front slugs with valves including signed postage within the UK £117.00
Rear bracket including signed postage within the UK £67.00
Full sets of fronts with valves and rear incl signed for postage £167.00

Anyone interested in a set please let me know and I'll start a list.:thumb:

Ignore the pictures below these were just pre-production prototypes....

Attachments

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I'll take a pair. These will just bolt on instead of the current small top will they? or will we need more new parts to get the set up right?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Chris, these just screw in where the cap fits, all you need to do is buy either a pair of Scheider
Valves or a pair of the quick release valves at around £15.00 or I can offer the blank ones without the valve.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Silly question time! Apart from raising the front end and some extra ground clearance, what benefit will we get from fitting these? Will it not affect handling? Sorry to sound stupid!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silly question time! Apart from raising the front end and some extra ground clearance, what benefit will we get from fitting these? Will it not affect handling? Sorry to sound stupid!
Not stupid at all, most people tend to raise the rear and fit bar risers at the front. By raising the rear and not the front increases the rake and will quicken up the steering, not what you really want. When lifting the rear by whatever means either linkage or shock then the front should be equally raised. This will give better ground clearance and improve the ride and steering geometry.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Hi Chris, these just screw in where the cap fits, all you need to do is buy either a pair of Scheider
Valves or a pair of the quick release valves at around £15.00 or I can offer the blank ones without the valve.
And you mean you haven't organised a discount on these too?

Standards are slipping.:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
How will this affect the insurance? If it affects it all?

I understand you have to tell them of any modifications to the bike. I guess (but don't know) that a steering modification will raise an eyebrow there with insurers. Maybe not.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Unfortunately we only have 3 confirmed at the moment, so need two other to go ahead at the £76 rate.
I assume I am one of the confirmed. If not, confirm me.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Confirmed are as follows, just 1 more required:-
1) Wheelie
2) Farcall
3) The Muppet
4) Kitped
5) ...........

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Out of interest what is a "quick release" schraeder valve as mentioned ?
The quick release bit mentioned is just a button on top of the fork bleeder that when pressed releases any built up and unwanted air from the fork internals.

Just to confirm with everyone that is interested. The slugs will be supplied with a 4mm threaded hole in the end this is where you fit a bleed valve (sorry not shraeder, my mistake) the bleed valves (supplied by you and readily available from MX shops or ebay around £8-10 pair) are used to release built up pressure in the forks. When a bike is used hard air pressure builds up in the forks and also when riding at highter altitudes. higher pressures in forks leads to premature failure of fork seals.

Below is picture of typical bleed valve that screws into the top of the fork slug.

Bleed Valves.jpg

·
Registered
404 Posts
When a bike is used hard air pressure builds up in the forks and also when riding at higher altitudes. higher pressures in forks leads to premature failure of fork seals.
.......... interesting! ..........presumably after letting the air out you'll need to put it back in when the ride is over and the forks cooler or you return to normal altitude otherwise a small vacuum would be produced ?

1 - 20 of 210 Posts