Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  raymo 
#1 ·
Hay guys,
My RD03 engine blew and have to be replaced. I cant find a replacement in South Africa so I was thinking to replace it with a RD04 or07. Is this possible??
Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!
Desmond

#2 ·
Hi Desmond

There are differences in the eletrics

Someone will help shortly

#5 ·
RD03: Two separate CDIs, one fan no Tripcomputer, 650 cc.
RD04: One common CDI, two cooling fans, different carbs, ,early RD04 no Tripcomputer, different gearing, engine size 750 cc.
RD07 and 7A: Different aircleaner location
RD07A Throttle position transmitters, again different carbs.

Thats the differences I know just from the top of my head.

It could be worth investigating if an engine from a Transalp could fit.
The 600 cc TA is very much like an RD03 engine bar 50 cc and some ponies.
The TA 650 engine is perhaps better.

#9 ·
yes it can be done :)

you can by pass the oil cooler by removing the plate and using the RD03 filter screw

the the RD04 has two pulse coils that trigger the CDIs
mine retains the RD03 CDI

all the 750 motors are designated RD04 you need an early RD04 engine if you use the 07, you need its CDIs

#10 ·
#11 ·
I forgot to ask how bad the RD03 currently is. What do you mean by "blew"? Considering how remote you are and how easy the motor is to work on, and depending on how bad it "blew", maybe it would be better idea to do a quick rebuild.

Lee

#13 ·
#14 ·
As other folk , I would be interested in what mishap the engine had

My 750 was bought from Rob on this forum, and he acquired it from a dealer, but the original engine had failed due to the oil pump chain breaking, and the dealer installed a 1990 RD04 motor he had, as it was cheaper than repairing the 650.

It retains the RD03 Carbs, air box and CDIs and does not have an oil cooler. It runs fine and I have done many happy miles on it, using it for long distance charity rides.. and off-road. The RD04 engine has a real grunt and a different character to the smoother higher revving 650, but just as much fun to ride.

It was on its way to being converted to a 750 Marathon, but is now back to standard and awaiting pick-up as I have sold it :thumbup:

The RD03 will get the Marathon kit..

Rob used the bike as a long distance commuter and clocked up many 10,000s of miles before 'retiring it ' for a newer RD07, that suffered the same fate :rolleyes:

So if it’s cheaper to fix the 650, do that ,

but if you have a cheaper early RD04 engine..... it will drop straight in, but you will need the headers and exhaust too.
As I say mine retained the original carbs and air box and has an RD07 Silencer, runs fine, but you will improve the performance with the RD04 Carbs and Air box, but I was happy with the bike:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.