Honda XRV Forum banner

Africa twin meet in hungary 2009

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Paul-S 
#1 ·
Well i fancied a ride out again and as i have for the last couple of years a quick ride in Europe felt about right.
So i was able to combine a quick look around Normandy and then a blast over to Hungary and back to the UK before finally buggering off back to Germany to enjoy the fine brandy and attempt to improve the gene pool.

So some photos as they tell the story better than me

A crazy French feller who was riding around on some old German tracter,nice feller though he did love his old flat cap.

I then nipped into town to have a look at this tower and spent the rest of the afternoon being nice to American people

I then nipped through Germany and Austria and got pinched for the Road tax but they accepted my plea of stupidity and took 28 euro quids of me

Then a night ride from Viena to Budapest for coffee which is a great ride and possibly on the things to do list. I then went on to Balaton which is a big lake and the place where the Hungarian meet was to be held and met up with a group of cool africa twin addicts

The campsite was a mix of chalets and camping with food being available from the yacht club which owned the site.This has the advantage as with the French and Chzeck meets in that the bar is local and people can have a yarn and get drunk without having to worry about getting back to the tent

The ride outs were iether a 200k culture route or a wild run with MT leading the pack cross country.
Now to the important bit i spent a couple of days riding in a 57000 hectere park without anyone getting a sad on or moaning about bloody bikers and its one of those things that you have to do to believe,,,,,,the area is vast and people just don't bother you.

The people on the meet were as allways very cool and happy to speak English which as allways covers our general inability to speak another language. They plan a meet in the same place in May of next year and i really do recommend it to anyone who has the time and wants to visit a cool Country full of great people......meljordan

STUFF
fuel in EU is not cheap so allow £250 for a return trip.
It's 1007 miles from Calais to Budapest.
Go via Luxemberg and the roads are good and avoid the French Theft/Peage tax £50-£70 saved
Pay for a viniette in Austria and Hungary and laugh at the police.
Camping for 4 nights in Hungary was £18 with showers and huge warm lake for swimming.
Rough camping is free and i payed £0 for the other 15 nights away

A great trip and a good run for bikers who are not afraid to have a look around a cool Country.

Happy as Larry and as i now live and work in Germany i will be having another rip around soon, probably a Nord-kapp run as well if anyone feels like a ride-out

Now you can all bugger off and do something more interesting than stare at me back......mel

See less See more
#3 ·
Cool
Glad to hear you had a good time.
Not sure about this strange french gid:rolleyes:,he followed us for a long time:teeth:

Nordkap you say,hmmmm
very high on my list of things i want to do,give us a shout when you start planning that:thumbup:

#5 ·
Mel

Please be more careful you old fool, you appear to have parked your bike very closely to a hobo sleeping at the side of the road!!!

Very envious mate, Hungary does indeed look like a cool AT meet, so will have to go on my list, along with Nordkapp. Watch out for the midges!!!

Nice one!

Bob :thumbup::thumbup:

#8 ·
Nice one again Mel

It would appear several of us have Nordkapp high on our list of things to do. How about we firm something up if possible go as a group for 2010 or 2011?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.