Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, my name's Bertie Simmonds and I'm a freelance motorcycle journalist.

I'm doing a used road test of adventure bikes and would dearly love to include one of the best-ever big-trailies - the Africa Twin.

Sadly, I've been let down by a dealer, but would love to include the Honda, if I can. So, would an owner like to help?
The test is next week (25th or 26th) and basically if anyone has a neat, as new-as-possible Africa Twin, you can join us and ride the other used bikes we have got together and have a jolly good time. We will be starting out from RiDE's HQ in Peterborough, so it may help if you're somewhere near the Midlands.

The more standard the bike the better and it needs to be indicative of the sort of used Twins people can expect to find out there at the moment.

To show I'm legit, my details are:
www.bertiesimmonds.com
[email protected]

07899 961912

Please contact me and if you do come along you'll star in a future issue of RiDE Magazine!

Cheers!

Bertie Simmonds

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
So a beaten up RD04 hand-painted to look like a zebra is of no interest to you then?

If you get stuck I can strip it and put original HOnda Red, white and blue livery back on, including a spare tank.

But it's not standard. It has K&N cone air filters, a hagon shock, rebuilt wheels with an RD07-size rim.

And it backfires due to an air leak I have not got round to fixing.

It has 90,000 miles on the clock but I still reckon it would give most other trailees a run for their money.:thumbup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hee hee! I bet it would give all other 'newer' adventure bikes a run for its money!!!!

Will let you know, but more standard is what I'm after. Newer too, if possible!

Thanks though!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
If I have lived nearby I would have loved to join in!
(Mine has now covered 7767 miles from new in 1998, and the only extras are Givi sideracks for panniers and top box, and Switzerland market side reflectors with holders front and rear).

Where and when can I read the resulting article?

//Kjell

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If I have lived nearby I would have loved to join in!
(Mine has now covered 7767 miles from new in 1998, and the only extras are Givi sideracks for panniers and top box, and Switzerland market side reflectors with holders front and rear).

Where and when can I read the resulting article?

//Kjell
12 years old? and only 7767 miles on the clock?:rolleyes:
What do you do ,just look at it .
Surely there should be another number on the end :cool:

:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm so sorry I don't live nearby!
I have the very standard RD07 in red-white-blue combination. Just repainted with new decals! Looks as new.

Well, I hope that we can at least read the article online and see the pictures :)

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Not that far away and have a 52 plate but cant afford couple of days of sorry

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
12 years old? and only 7767 miles on the clock?:rolleyes:
What do you do ,just look at it .
Surely there should be another number on the end :cool:

:D
No :p

But the owner before me, did mearly nothing else than look at it.
He was more into sailing and golf... ;)

I'm not all that big distance logger my self, but at least I managed to scrape together 2 600 miles since the end of may.

//Kjell

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
...more standard is what I'm after. Newer too, if possible!

Young Bertie!

In the world of Africa Twins, and possibly any big traillie thats been flung at a sand dune or byway, newer doesn't necessarily mean better!!!!

Don't discount the older bikes, they're still around for a very good reason; they're reliable, tough as old boots, great build quality, and everyone loves them!!

:thumbup:

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
Bertie,

I have a 1999 white Africa Twin, would be a nice ride up to the midlands too! Box's can be whipped off in a matter of seconds, has a few modifications as per the pictures below!

Let me know if you are interested!

Cheers. :thumbup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hee hee...
Thank you all for your comments!

:)

Not found an owner/bike yet who can say 100% that they can make it, although one is a possible. Fingers crossed!

I know what you mean Boba about newer not always being best. Hence we're doing a used test! I expect the Africa Twin to kick some butt here - but it's nice to get the newest/cleanest we can to ensure as level a playing field as possible with the other bikes which will be newer, if still 'used'.

I know some people have said they couldn't get time off to take part, but if they would still be OK with lending the bike alone (long-shot, I know) I can show you Bauer Publishing's fully-comp insurance policy to provide peace of mind.

Should I get hold of a suitable bike for the test I can scan copies of it and send it to anyone who wants to see it. Just don't tell RiDE magazine... they'd tell me off.

Cheers!

Bertie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DRLANER!!!!

You're my hero!
We'll be riding a number of different 'adventure bikes'. All used.

Please e-mail me and I'll send you the details...

Bertie

:thumbup:

PS - tea and bacon sarnies/lunch is on me.... Will also fill yer tank for you...

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
Hi Bertie,

I have sent you an email to the AOL address listed in your first post, please feel free to contact me by reply.

Cheers. :thumbup:

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Yes, and a very fine example it is too! :thumbright:
(Make note: I must buy Bagster ASP)
//Kjell

And it bears the XRV birthmark on it's rump too. Fine example

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BIG thanks to all who replied to this thread. Shows what a top lot you people are...

As soon as I know when the article will appear, I will let you know.

Thanks again.

Bertie

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Re: AFRICA TWIN NEEDED FOR RiDE MBertieAGAZINE SHOOT!

Spotted you did a write up in the nee adventure biker magazine Bertie
Great mag

Hope to see the write up in the bike mag

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm a humble freelancer sir... so this is for another magazine. But I am continuing my work with Adventure Bike Rider. It fills a niche I think. And Alun the editor is a star man. Do search for the Forum!

:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts