Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought an absolutely stunning 2001 Africa Twin, then read about soft output shafts! Does this affect all years of AT? the bike is just over 30,000miles, do I need to worry? I'll be changing the sprockets in a couple of weeks, will have a good look then.

Mark

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Yes - all years are affected - overtightening the chains are the main culprit. The AT has long travel suspensions and what might look loose or slack when no one is on the bikemight actually be a better setting than when the chain looks all in line, as it were

Read the threads on here regarding adjustment

As for Chain and Sprocket kits there are many out there

I use OE front sprocket, Gold Renthal Hard Anodised rear and a Gold DID chain - expect to pay £170 ish but you get the best quality and it lasts

On my 3rd set and done 59000 miles - scottoiler fitted too - but I regularly clean the chain especially after mud / sand etc

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Effects all years of bikes and mileages, worth taking time to op the front sprocket off and check the shaft, you won't know the situation until you do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have a look, new chain and sprockets going on and already have a scottoiler, I'm used to running chains a bit slack on bikes with long travel suspension.

I think the bike is "known" on here - apparently it used to belong to "DigitalCaptive"

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
A very well looked after bike by all it's previous owners

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
OEM front sprockets (with rubber rand), change the sprocket retainer £7+/- too if it's worn. Rear sprocket +/- teeth to suit your tastes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 on the retainer, I think a worn retainer is probably responsible for more worn output shafts than anything else.
Owners buy a chain and sprocket kit and fit that using the old (worn) retainer and the the sprocket can move laterally on the shaft and hence the wear. My output has a little wear but once the retainer was changed it was a new bike.

I've only had my @T for 3 months but she's clocked 6k already and I've had a new front sprocket as well as the fuel pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts