Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just comparing the prices of 10 year model and the Africa twin seem to be double the price.

Is that because of the various dakar rally?

·
Registered
991 Posts
The Africa twin was always an expensive bike and is sought after, but if people are willing to pay the price it will always be high. The Transalp is a much underrated bike.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Because of the Paris-Dakar association, the Africa Twin 750 has the "legendary" status, but it's only a few horsepower more than the Transalp 600, and it's a heavy bike. The Transalp 600 really is the forgotten 'adventure' bike of the 1980s-1990s. They sold millions of them in Europe, they can do pretty much everything from urban commuting to motorways, they have gone around the world, are still hugely popular in mainland Europe, are easily customisable, are cheap to run, easy to fix, and yet here in the UK they are seen as rather dull and can be picked up very cheaply. it's really only the early (1986-1988) models, that are in original spec and very good condition, that command higher used prices.

One day Honda will see the light and re-release an updated Transalp.

Until then, why don't you browse these amazing threads?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Africa twin was always an expensive bike and is sought after, but if people are willing to pay the price it will always be high. The Transalp is a much underrated bike.
Yeah I agree with you. Its kind of like people who are on a low budget can go for a transalp instead of a africa twin.. They do exactly same job.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I found this on youtube really admire the guy just shows what you can do with a Transalp

·
Registered
287 Posts
Africa Twins are not just a fair bit heavier, but a lot taller too..far to tall for me, and i ain't little or weak, but am old..haven't ridden one..just stood next to one of the beasts, and too big..I can pick my Transalp 600 off the ground with one arm " witnessed by a couple of the guy's on here " but would not want to tangle with the Africa..and as you say, they do sell for lot's more..

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I still can't believe the prices old Africa Twins fetch. sometimes around £5,000. I am sure they are just bought by well-off men in their 50s who never actually go anywhere, but like the idea of being a 'paris dakar' rider

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Having got & had an assortment of ATs & TAs I had both a 650 AT (RD03) and a TA 650 I weighed them both and there was little difference in weight but the AT felt much heavier with the wider tank and higher stance. TA felt more nimble (relatively) than the AT but AT more stable at higher speeds. ATs are more impressive, a 'true' adventure bike whereas the TA just does the job.
There is almost as much difference between the 600 & 650 TAs as between a standard 87 TA & my naked 92 TA.
The 650 feels between the TA600 & ATs.
The naked 92 TA weighs about the same as the standard 87 TA having lost about 15 Kg but the naked TA feels much more nimble than the faired bike, like a big old XR, until you have to pick it up.
The TAs get used for more local work or where the roads are poor, green (in the middle) lanes & the AT for longer work, for much longer work I use a Vara which is not at all nimble but very comfortable.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I think with a few more hp, taller suspension, the Transalp 650 could almost be like the 750 Africa Twin

I think Honda really messed up the general design and marketing of the Transalp 650 and 700. Neither got great reviews, the 650 is seen as a "dull dependable commuter" and the Transalp 700 suffered from poor looks, small tank and needs a 6th gear

Will we see a CRF Transalp in 2021?

·
Dances with Drunks
222 Posts
Interesting discussion. Does anyone know what the total sales of both bikes were, particularly in Europe, during the years when both were on sale at the same time?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was just comparing the prices of 10 year model and the Africa twin seem to be double the price.

Is that because of the various dakar rally?
Buying an Africa twin is really like buying the "Myth & legendary" Bike.. You are paying for the Myth rather than paying for any extra benefit.. While this can make sense for one buyer, it could be total nonsense for another..

The @ 750 is becoming a collector's item like buying a classic car.. With time I foresee prices climbing for original specimens..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well looks like there is more hype surrounding the Africa twins as I have seen 100's of video's of Transalp's doing about everything a of road bike can do and much more. Also the engines on the Transalp are solid, I saw a video where the guy was doing an engine rebuild at around 140k km.

For people with budget I would say you get a lot for your money with a Transalp comparing with other models.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
maybe, i've never been one for "collecting" and keeping bikes mint, to polish and look at. it's nice to have a decent bike, but my opinion bikes are for riding and using

i would like a decent 750 africa twin, but i would not pay over £3,000 for one

the transalp is a much better "round the world" bike, as its lighter

·
Hill Rider
3,087 Posts
Like Dod I've had a few AT's and TA's.
At one point I had a 1998 AT sitting next to a F800GS in my garage. The F8GS is the sort of machine Honda should have created by evolving the 750 AT. Lighter, more power, more ground clearance and better on fuel. Saying that, I choose the AT to do a round Euroland trip on and left the F8GS at home (it was mainly a road trip with a ride up the Stella thrown in en-route, so didn't need too much off road ability ;)).

My garage currenlty has an F8GS residing next to a 1998 600 TA and my latest ride, a CB500X. The CB5X is, to my mind, the nearest Honda have got in recent years to filling the gap left by the Transalp.
But the 600 TA still feels more engaging than the CB5X.
The Alp

The CB5X

The F8GS

Having only recently put the 600 TA back on the road I have yet to do a back to back comparison ot it against the CB5X. But it will happen soon enough :)

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
991 Posts
I used to love my black africa twin but got the chance to restore a rd03 up I never thought I would get rid of my black one but I kept the rd03 due to it being lighter and smoother and great off road.
IMG_5930.JPG
IMG_7396.jpg

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
My dad had an XTZ750, very much "the poor mans africa twin". Taller, more top heavy, poor fuel economy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts