Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the middle of converting my US-spec Transalp to an Africa Twin RD03. The frame and most parts carry over to both models. I am using all original Africa Twin parts when possible and upgrade parts elsewhere. All parts are being powder coated or refurbished.

In the end, besides the engine and gauge cluster it will be all Africa Twin. I haven't seen a full conversion like this before and am trying to determine what this thing will be worth when it is done. There are only a handful imported RD03's in America, one of which sold on Bring A Trailer for $18,000 USD recently.

I would like to at least break even after the restoration. Anyone want to take a guess regarding its value when finished?

IMG_3520.jpg

Cheers,
Kevin

·
Registered
13 Posts
There’s a big difference between an RD03 and a converted Transalp in terms of resale value. A lot of Transalp have been modified with AT components - suspension, swing arm, tank, lighting and bodywork... I have one and didn’t pay much for the bike (maybe 15% of the perfect RD03 you mentioned).

Not saying done right it won’t get a reasonable number but more of a labor of love than a big resale return IMHO.

Good luck! Still a great project.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems like your doing a great job from the photo so the bike should look very nice when done.

At this point in time, you’re playing to a very rarified buying group if selling for a profit is your goal. 10 years ago, when I did my conversion, I’d get offers to buy about half the time I stopped with other riders around. But that was before the new ATs (CRFs) came out it and for many years it looked like Honda was never going to make another AT. With the CRFs being a fairly common site (and also having all the bells and whistles that the new ADV riders seem to want....that’s another story) I’d surmise that your conversion will be a 10 on the “cool” factor but about a 4 or 5 in the “I want that bike” area. Like I said - a rarified buying group.

The advantages you have are that the bike will retain the TA frame numbers and will, therefore, be much easier to register anywhere in the States and also that parts will be somewhat easier to source for the engine. I’m saying “somewhat” because TA parts are starting to go NLA at an alarming rate.

You said that your plan is to use all AT parts with the exception of the engine and gauges. I’m not certain it’s possible to use the TA gauges (that pivot with the triple clamps) in conjunction with the AT front fairing bracket that supports the front mask and headlight and gauges (that do not pivot). I think the AT bracket will physically be in the way of the AT gauges. I may be incorrect.

AT instruments can still be sourced from Europe and would probably give the bike a more authentic look. The only odd thing you have to do is reverse the two wires on the coolant temp gauge. For some reason the TA and AT gauges use opposite polarity. If you do change to AT instruments, be sure to keep the old TA gauges and documentation of the starting ODO reading from the AT so a prospective buyer can get an accurate total mileage on the bike.

Are you planning to keep the TA front forks, brake and wheel? The AT forks are a bit larger in diameter and have more travel than the TA bits. The AT front disc is also larger in diameter.

Now that I’m in the middle of refurbishing an actual RD03, I’ve noticed many small things that are different. The biggest area of difference is how many more gussets and supports are used in the AT frame and engine mounts that are left off the TA.

I guess none of that answers your question. It seems that TAs in “very nice” condition are selling (with some difficulty) for $3500 to $4000 USD. You should be able to ask for more. How much more will depend on your local market and how confident a buyer is in your modding skills.

Keep us posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts