Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my AT in for its first MOT today and the garage lent me a 53 V-Strom 1000 as a loan bike for the day.
So I thought it would be good to do a review and share my thoughts on the experience.

On seeing the V-Strom next to a Varadero, and a Tiger, I actually preferred the Varadero in the looks department and asked to take the Varadero instead but it hadn't got tax so they couldn't let it out. This v-strom was in yellow and I have to say it just looked pig ugly!
On getting on I instantly felt at home, it was sooooo comfortable compared to the AT. Within seconds I was used to it and it was lovely to ride.
There was a good punch from the engine and you could easily get the front up by just cracking the throttle back. I did notice a transmission crunch or some sort of noise lower down the rev range. Possibly a dry chain? It was there all day so may have been something more untoward I don't know, but it had only done 10K miles so was unlikely to be wear.
I found myself riding a lot faster that I normally do, which was one of the things I was trying to avoid and a reason for the AT.
When riding round town (looking for a bloody petrol station that didn't have queues round the block) I found the clutch quite heavy being a hydraulic one. I also found the fuel injection quite snatchy and it was difficult to bimble about like it is on the AT.
I went to work via the motorway and it was a nice ride. About as noisy as the AT and I found myself travelling at around 95 too easily which is probably asking to be nicked. Nice turn of speed though when required.
Mirrors were next to useless though, to much blur.
A manic day at work then ensued but before too long it was time to pick up the AT that had sailed through its MOT.
The ride back was via some smaller twisty roads and the V-strom always felt very planted and you felt in total control and my confidence was high. I found the brakes to be excellent.
Arriving at the garage I saw my AT out the front and I have to say it does look the business. The only other bike vying for my attention was a BMW 1100GS they had for sale with knobblies on.
Did the paper work and back on to the AT.
First thing I noticed was how high it felt.
Then how light the clutch was, closely followed by how quiet it was as I'd replaced the Remus with the original exhaust for the MOT and had forgotten about it.
When setting off the TKC80's caught me out and that scary lightness to the front end appeared when tipping in to a corner, meaning that its the rider that gets used to it, not the tyres wearing as I had thought.
I didn't notice the seat as much as I thought I would. I was convinced I'd hate the AT seat after the V-Strom one, but perhaps you get used to the AT one.
The power difference was very noticeable. The AT felt like a damp squib and as if it had no go at all. However I was travelling at normal speeds again!
Clutch was lovely and light but the brakes weren't as good as the V-Stroms despite me having braided lines.
Was soon back home and loving the AT again though.

So all in all I liked the V-strom, hated its looks though and wouldn't buy it just based on that fact alone!

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Dave
Did you notice the tyres, Deathwings on a guy at works, but he doesn't seem to have any problems with them!?

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't notice what tyres it had on, but they were confidence inspiring and nice and grippy.

S

·
0 Posts
The guy i bought my @ of replaced it with a 1000cc V-strom as he wanted more power. He is a bike instructor and has only had the bike about 4 months at the most now and the clutch is already wearing out! Before he sold the @ he used it for the same thing and for a few years but didn't have any problems with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts