Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Brand new here and I just got my hands on what I believe to be a 2000 AT, even though it was first registered in 5/2002 and is gold and black although it appears the tank may have been blue at one point, which is kinda strange. A little bit of blue is showing at a chipped area of the tank.

I found on the form where the engine number is supposed to be located and............. nothing. Blank, zip, zilch, nadda. Any ideas? The Vin checks out on the Frame and the plate.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Where are you looking? It's at the base of the rear cylinder (actually stamped on the R/H crankcase/ R/H side) behind the exhaust.

i-64j8679-XL.jpg

·
Registered
497 Posts
I also have a 2002 black & gold and my tank is blue under the black paint, Guess that's why the RWB are the fastest cos the black ones are heavier due to the extra paint:p

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I also have a 2002 black & gold and my tank is blue under the black paint, Guess that's why the RWB are the fastest cos the black ones are heavier due to the extra paint:p
I believe you are correct they probably never put race paint on the black one's race paint is more aerodynamic however if black paint is kept well polished it doesn't catch the wind as bad and will increase performance dramatically :thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that is exactly were I looked and it's blank on my bike. No numbers. I even tried scratching off a bit of paint and nothing. I'm thinking that maybe early in it's life there was a catastrophic engine failure and she got a new engine case, but wouldn't those be numbered too?
Where are you looking? It's at the base of the rear cylinder (actually stamped on the R/H crankcase/ R/H side) behind the exhaust.

View attachment 88137

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, maybe that's a good thing. At my age I don't need to be going any faster..........................

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I think I know what happened the bloke who stamps the engine numbers was out sick the day your bike was build . he was in a karaoke bar the night before singing Elvis Prestly songs having a right laugh with his mates and a few birds and drank the shit out of it and woke in the morning naked beside a really ugly bird and was too sick to make in to work at the Hamamatsu plant . but I might be wrong :lol:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks, that is exactly were I looked and it's blank on my bike. No numbers. I even tried scratching off a bit of paint and nothing. I'm thinking that maybe early in it's life there was a catastrophic engine failure and she got a new engine case, but wouldn't those be numbered too?
You may be right. It's possible the main bearings effed up the case and it was replaced with a new Honda crankcase...minus the ID numbers. Otherwise something is sketchy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Here's where the engine number is supposed to be. I tried scratching off a bit of paint but still saw nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Very strange. Looks like a non-OEM clutch cover gasket...which says to me that the engine has been at least partially apart.

Do you know how it was brought into the USA? Any paperwork that ever listed an engine number?

·
Registered
326 Posts
It is true that Honda made spare engine cases with no numbers stamped on them for some (perhaps all) motorbikes. For example, there are many early CB750s out there with no-number engine cases after they were replaced due to damage. Seems like the history of this bike should be investigated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a UK bike that came over with the previous owner when he moved to the US sometime ago. Yes the English title lists a Engine number. Interesting that the warranty booklet is stamped with UK dealers right up to within about a 1500 miles of current mileage. Which is consistent with the sellers statement that he never really rode the bike here in the states. It just sat for a number of years.
I think I may try calling the UK dealers in England to see if they have any service records of an engine swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts