Honda XRV Forum banner

321 - 340 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cosmetically my RD07a has changed a bit since I first posted on this thread just over 1 year ago
And in that time its done 27k miles and over a dozen countries with zero problems

Attachments

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Looks like a nice bit of track to thrash along

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

My 1988 RD03 after resto.

Thanks for posting, what make is your rear carrier / rack please
If you can't find one, I have four prototypes up for grab. Raw aluminum though. These are not anodized at this stage. Models for RD03 and RD07.

RD03. Ditches the heavy tubular rear carrier.

RD07

·
Registered
137 Posts
My trusty old AT has just performed flawlessy (as expected) on a trip to Morocco and back.

Preparation was fairly basic. Calipers were a bit manky after winter riding, so they got stripped front and rear, seals, pins and pads replaced.
Last year when I was setting off for Nordkapp, I noticed the clutch cable was fraying so I bought a spare which remained unused until the trip to Morocco. I decided finally to fit this also.
As for servicing, I just changed the oil (10w40 Motorex )
I bought a set of Mitas E07's online for £97 and fitted these myself to ensure they were easy enough to do on the roadside if necessary.
And that was it, prep done. Trip mileage was 5,200 miles bringing bikes total up to just over 52,000 miles.

On the trip the Mitas E07's were fantastic both on and off road - my tyre of choice for the AT from now on. They have almost 7k miles on now and loads of meat left. (no punctures on this trip)
Chain and sprockets were 15k miles old at start of trip, but I use a touring scottoiler so no adjustment required prior to or during the trip.
Bike didn't use a single drop of oil on the trip. This surprised me as it was running in hot temperatures and got a caning on the dull french motorways there and back.

This old bike really is amazing. I carried a few basic tools (tyre Irons etc) and a set of spare tubes, but luckily didn't need to use them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Lovely, this could not be a better summing up of the Africa Twin ! - A "proper" Africa Twin in it's element. Wake up have a bit of breakfast, get on it and ride off some place. Get sunburn on your nose. Come back, go to work on on it Monday morning. No drama ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
372 Posts
My second rebuild got a nice 200mile winding roads run out to Stafford show today, had a great ride back through the peak district. First miles on it since 2010. Show was good XRV 2 was fantastic;)

$(KGrHqVHJCME9uO 5H CBPiY!yt7JQ~~60_12-1.jpg

Used to look a little like this.
DSC06828.jpg

Was a bit rough to be honest:rolleyes:

DSC04134.jpg

I have done a full rebuild again (sorry couldn't be bothered to do another rebuild thread see restoring the blue one thread to get the general idea.)

DSC04249.jpg

DSC04248.jpg

Another one saved and this ones a keeper too :lol:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Jon

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My trusty old AT has just performed flawlessy (as expected) on a trip to Morocco and back.

Preparation was fairly basic. Calipers were a bit manky after winter riding, so they got stripped front and rear, seals, pins and pads replaced.
Last year when I was setting off for Nordkapp, I noticed the clutch cable was fraying so I bought a spare which remained unused until the trip to Morocco. I decided finally to fit this also.
As for servicing, I just changed the oil (10w40 Motorex )
I bought a set of Mitas E07's online for £97 and fitted these myself to ensure they were easy enough to do on the roadside if necessary.
And that was it, prep done. Trip mileage was 5,200 miles bringing bikes total up to just over 52,000 miles.

On the trip the Mitas E07's were fantastic both on and off road - my tyre of choice for the AT from now on. They have almost 7k miles on now and loads of meat left. (no punctures on this trip)
Chain and sprockets were 15k miles old at start of trip, but I use a touring scottoiler so no adjustment required prior to or during the trip.
Bike didn't use a single drop of oil on the trip. This surprised me as it was running in hot temperatures and got a caning on the dull french motorways there and back.

This old bike really is amazing. I carried a few basic tools (tyre Irons etc) and a set of spare tubes, but luckily didn't need to use them.
That is surprising that your bike did not use a drop of oil on a trip such as this. How many K miles did you drive and how many on your odometer? I'm
using about 250ml per 1000kms roughly on my RDO7A...and it's got 100K kms.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
1996 RD07a w/ 45,000km when I purchased it 2 weeks ago. Now in Morocco, then aiming for Spain, Italy, Tunisia, Greece, Turkey etc

Running Pirelli MT21 knobbies and Anakee3 depending on countries

321 - 340 of 372 Posts