Honda XRV Forum banner

381 - 391 of 391 Posts

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
484 Posts
Hi Steinberg, haha just been looking at your trip! I like the outfit by the way. Since we came back and now have a dog again, an outfit would be the only way forward for another trip. This could be us!

View attachment 165898

I started writing out our route in a nutshell but then thought you could check out our blog. You can see photos of our maps with our route highlighted. How did you find travelling in an outfit?

Phil and Dee's Travels (inbetweendogs.blogspot.com)
Hey, that's hugely coincidental..... we clearly both travelled through/visited many of the same routes and places from BA to Iguazu Falls to El Bolson to Puerto Natales to Chiloe to the Elqui Valley to Paso de Jama. Probably as you, we found the whole thing totally mind-blowing. Sadly, we only had 6 months off to travel so we concentrated on the lower half of SA. We'd planned to return to do the north part but the virus has put paid to that for the time being.
I've got as far as Peru on your blog so far - the rest will follow tomorrow, great stuff to read/look at (y)
I guess you've been looking at the 'sidecar dogs' website!
We put the chair onto my '02 AT after some friends completed a trip from New York to BA via Alaska and Ushuaia using their F800GS/Ural. We first considered doing it on separate bikes (my wife has a bike license), but the outfit seemed to tick more boxes - I'd never ridden one before taking a test ride at Watsonian and found that I loved it. The one notable thing about using an outfit was it being an ice-breaker - everyone wanted to chat and take photos or honk and take videos from their cars.... but when back in the UK, no-one was interested - everyone it seems is so reserved by comparison.

·
Registered
XRV750 RD07
40 Posts
Hey, that's hugely coincidental..... we clearly both travelled through/visited many of the same routes and places from BA to Iguazu Falls to El Bolson to Puerto Natales to Chiloe to the Elqui Valley to Paso de Jama. Probably as you, we found the whole thing totally mind-blowing. Sadly, we only had 6 months off to travel so we concentrated on the lower half of SA. We'd planned to return to do the north part but the virus has put paid to that for the time being.
I've got as far as Peru on your blog so far - the rest will follow tomorrow, great stuff to read/look at (y)
I guess you've been looking at the 'sidecar dogs' website!
We put the chair onto my '02 AT after some friends completed a trip from New York to BA via Alaska and Ushuaia using their F800GS/Ural. We first considered doing it on separate bikes (my wife has a bike license), but the outfit seemed to tick more boxes - I'd never ridden one before taking a test ride at Watsonian and found that I loved it. The one notable thing about using an outfit was it being an ice-breaker - everyone wanted to chat and take photos or honk and take videos from their cars.... but when back in the UK, no-one was interested - everyone it seems is so reserved by comparison.
Yeh I know, so many amazing places. One day we were climbing up to a glacial lake on Cerro Fitz Roy and the next visiting the Perito Moreno Glacier, crazy! We took the plunge and sold our house and left our jobs, although I had a loose sabbatical agreement so we had plenty of time. I think you did the right thing and took your time though, rather than try to do too many miles. If you do manage to go again, we found Central America amazing as well so don't rush through as so many do. To be honest, we would love to go back and maybe we will.
Interested in the outfit although i don't know if I would like it compared to riding a solo. Do Watsonian allow test rides, just to see if you like it? I do envy a third wheel on some of those rough roads - two up fully loaded was challenging at times. We found the locals loved the solo AT, such a big bike compared to their smaller ones. We found the same when returning to the UK. I don't think many people really understand what you go though on such a trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks great!
I have a quick question: what windshield is on your bike?
Thanks mate! :)

The windscreen is made by an Italian guy, named Fabio Goffi. This particular windscreen is a "rally-type" and it has a bar for mounting instruments. When I got it it was too tall for my taste, but give it 2 minutes with a dremel it was alright. I think Fabio can make the windscreens according to customer specs so it is just a matter of specify it to ones liking.

The wind protection is really good and I am currently using a Acerbis roadbook holder with an old (leftover) smartphone as my navigation device.

For more info check out Fabio's web site --> Goffi Workshop or send him a message on Facebook.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks mate! :)

The windscreen is made by an Italian guy, named Fabio Goffi. This particular windscreen is a "rally-type" and it has a bar for mounting instruments. When I got it it was too tall for my taste, but give it 2 minutes with a dremel it was alright. I think Fabio can make the windscreens according to customer specs so it is just a matter of specify it to ones liking.

The wind protection is really good and I am currently using a Acerbis roadbook holder with an old (leftover) smartphone as my navigation device.

For more info check out Fabio's web site --> Goffi Workshop or send him a message on Facebook.

View attachment 165921

View attachment 165922

View attachment 165923
Thanks for the link!!
I'm going to send him a message and see if he can make one for me.
Love the short look!

381 - 391 of 391 Posts