Honda XRV Forum banner
204K views 437 replies 150 participants last post by  sipottsy 
#1 · (Edited)
2021- update, 7yrs on and we're still getting great bikes showing up here ! Thanks all.
There are loads of bikes you folks have, with little extra's I'd love to have myself 👍

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well then. Almost ten years back,the XRV forum obviously had a lot of AT owners. But as time has passed and with the bike long out of production. The question is what do they all look like now. I used to love having at least one new AT in the garage but that couldn't last forever could it ? I've often had yearnings for the competition (especially that 1190KTM ! :rolleyes:) but when it come to this type of ride ( where reliability is the key word ) NOTHING has ever come close to the Honda (for me).

This isn't a thread to start knocking other bikes, (I'd love to have a lightweight Bm/Ktm/Ducati style125bhp+ Dirt rocket ) No,it's just a thread to celebrate the AT

So out of sheer interest, I thought maybe a 2014 survey of the bikes still owned might be an idea ?

Let's see your Africa Twins - As they are NOW

Here's one of mine. Not a pretty sight but it still does "what it said on the tin" !
👍

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I felt greedy having 2 till you both posted !

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycling

Reactions: Sohoeasy
#6 · (Edited)
Here's my latest one (I had 3 others before this one)- a fine example of the RD07a breed.
Only had it for 3.5yrs and already I've doubled the original mileage - well, it was only 16k miles old when I got it from it's 1st owner :D . . .

Here are a few pictures of the others I've owned, in reverese order - my 1st RD07A . . .

At No 2 . . . .

And finally here's number 1 AT . . . .

Steve T

:cool:

#18 ·
very clean and tidy

Reactions: Sohoeasy and Daddio
#10 · (Edited)
My RD07a - Year 2000 model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 · (Edited)
This was my first At in 93 I took a big risk buying it I just pointed at it in the Honda catalog and said I want that one never ridden one before or seen one in the flesh but when i did see it i thought i was going to cry It was and is stunning and i wasn't disappointed when i rode it either Ohh why did i sell you :(

And the one i have now in same location, hoping its a keeper got some work to do on her in the future she is just like a beautiful ageing woman looks great with her clothes on but needs some nips and tucks here and there when their off to make her perfect again :thumbup:
no offence intended to any ageing women who read this :D

#13 ·
My first and only RD07A with 86K kms now. Following taken at a lodge near Dease Lake Northern British Columbia
this past summer. Not far from this location in 2002 a German motorcyclist crashed this same m'cycle on the Cassiar Hwy.
He was slightly injured but ok and decided to go no further even with the superficial damage to the AT. After this difficult decision on his part
he pretty much left the m'cycle over to the lodge owner basically for services rendered from what I understood.

The following year in 2003 on my '93 GSPD having stopped at the same lodge to camp and shower the gas station attendant mentioned
that their was a crashed Honda in the garage that the lodge owner wanted to sell. My jaw dropped when I saw it was an Africa Twin. I had only
seen pics of them prior....and I had to have it.
To make a long story short I was back up there a month later with my truck and bought it. The GSPD has since been sold...and this is my keeper. :D

Following taken near Banff Alberta. A couple hours drive from where I live.

#16 ·
#27 ·
I'm going to take a slightly different point of view here. I've had four @'s , two x RD04, a RD03 and a RD07a but I think I prefer Transalps :bom:

The problem with the @ for me is that I keep comparing them to my KTM 950 and to be honest they just don't come near it. I absolutely love the look of @'s but if I've got the choice I'd rather ride the orange beasty 9 times out of 10.

That's why I always seem to go back to a Transalp , for me the tranny is a different bike altogether and is the antidote to my KTM :)

#28 ·
As Bob I prefer the TA to the AT particularly the 650 it ticks the most boxes for what I want in an 'adventure' bike. I have had RD03, 07, 7A ATs & XLV750 bikes over the years and a number of 600 & 650 TAs.
The ATs were OK for me 10-15 years ago but the extra height of the AT and feeling of greater size are sufficient to make them less manageable for me now days. I enjoyed the AT when I was younger but riding them in recent years I have the feeling of ending up in a heap on the ground. The TA is low enough and feels lighter (though my TA650 & RD03 were similar weights) to give more confidence on poorer surfaces.
I hankered after my old RD07 when it was advertised earlier this month but fortunately it was sold before I had cleared enough space. If I had brought it I would have enjoyed it until I got into a difficult situation and think Ive been here before, that's why I sold it and got a TA!
The converse is true with the TA after I have sold one because I brought a 'something' I then think why did I do that, eyes bigger than brain!
The ATs I have owned over the years Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motorcycling

#30 ·
I agree that the Transalp has a special place. For me, the RD03 is the perfect blend. Lighter, narrower and more nimble than the RD07a....yet quicker, better-built and taller than a Transalp. Perfect! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.