Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Timid biker
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was one of the later people to buy made-to-measure leathers from John Richardson of BTK before he closed the business. The CE armour that was supplied (shoulders, elbows, hips and knees) was flat and not terribly form-fitting egg-shaped panels of squidgy rubber that is hard if you jab at it and slightly less hard if you prod it. But my leathers have always been on the tight side of neat*, and with the armour installed I found I often ended up with micro bruises on my skin in those areas from constriction. What to do? Ride in leathers but with no armour apart from the back protector? The horror! I don't like that idea, but it's the only way I've found so far to wear them often enough to break them in. Remember, I'm not one of those ten thousand miles a year bikers.

Are there other options for slotting in more compliant armour? The Knox stuff in my textile trousers is bulky (but it works, as I once discovered), and I'm not sure there's room over the joints for bulky armour in my leathers. I think there's Hiprotec armour in my HG Cruise GTX jacket, and it's robust but a little sharp on the edges and also thicker than the BTK-supplied stuff.

* No, I'm not eating pies.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I would suggest looking out for compact armour that is still CE marked. That way you know the kit meets a standard.
There seems to be more and more technical kit appearin all the time.

The armour fitted to the Rukka kit seems fairly compact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts