Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  alias 
#1 ·
My first post - Hi from the heat & humidity of Darwin, Northern Territory Australia people. Has anyone tried installing aftermarket carbs to their AT, such as Keihin FCRs or the like? If so was it a success?

Many Thanks

Nick (wantok)

#2 ·
Hi Nick

Of course some carbs can be better than others. But, that would be opening a can of work to start swapping carbs. What problem are you trying to solve? If you experience carburation problems, then a simple carburator clean-up and rebuild my well simply be all you need.

Lee

#4 ·
#5 ·
Welcome Nick

#7 ·
Not actually heard of any folk changing the carbs.....

Issues:-

choke plungers... easy well documented fix, but very easy to fix and keep in good order.. my take on this is folk have issues when they first acquire the bike, and that’s more than likely due to it being ‘parked’ for a while, although dirt and crud can get into the cable splitter.

Main Diaphragms… can split and swell with age, again an easy fix

Cut off diaphragms…. ( on the side and used to cut off fuel on deceleration to stop popping and banging as the main slide closes.)

Most carb issue are simple clean or replacement of soft parts….. Balance is important too

Jets can wear over time and cause the bike to run richer than it already does.

Only reason to change the carbs would be performance enhancement, and general consensus is not to increase the performance , as Mr Honda got it right, you have enough for what the bike is intended for so why eek out more power at the expense of reliability :thumbup:
:thumbup:

#9 ·
if my ever fadeing memory serves me well over on transalp.org there was a thread about playing with carbs but i think it had to do with altitude . i think maybe jets were changed or maybe just the mixture screw turned out a bit . might be worth a look . humidity is only something i saw on the telly i don't think we have any hear only cold and frost rain hail wind and piss and hardship and misfortune but we're happy well we can be if we choose to be misery is optional . :lol:

#10 ·
One rainy afternoon and carbs can be removed, cleaned, refitted and balanced.

#11 ·
on the big twin Harleys people go putting on s&s super g's and mikuni hsr carbs both ruining mpg a stock keinan cv carb tuned right is just as good for stock engin's you only need something bigger if you bore and stroke the engine . i have seen people fit a bank of flat slide carbs to big old 70's air cooled bikes . this i like very much but for an Africa twin or transalp a clean a rebuild a balance and a new air filter is all it would need i think if you want more speed buy a fast bike but hey i don't know shit .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.