Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I just called my insurance guys (Bennets), and told them I've had a Super-Fandango Alarm Fitted (Which they gave me £70per year off my premiums for!! :p), also told them I've now got a Personised Index, and mentioned a few other 'Modifications' to the Bike that I believe have increased her value...

They didn't batter an eyelid until I mentioned the Touratech 43Ltr Fuel Tank... Ummm... I'm now in referal... :mad:

Anyone else had this issue? If you haven't can you recommend an insurance company that isn't so anal? (Just incase they ask for a stupidly high premium hike!) Jesus so much for being honest!

Thanks

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Some non-standard parts are cheaper than the originals but a touratech tank is not. If you need a replacement bike the insurance company will have to buy that tank and they are bloody expensive.
The thing is, Bennets will have gone back to your existing insurer. If they try to requote across the whole market they may find a cheaper quote, but that would mean paying to end your current insurance early and start again. It may still be worthwhile though.
I got my metal garage mid-term and Highways would not consider it a garage unless it was brick-built. I waited unitl the end of the year and took up another insurer who did consider it a garage.
I found Carole Nash really helpful.

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some non-standard parts are cheaper than the originals but a touratech tank is not.
Thing they were whinging just because it was a Fuel Tank, not about the cost :(

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Sounds right what Whealie said, but try ebike I listed a whole load of stuff and the only things that seemed to affect the cost (marginally) were the carb filter/ exhaust combo (power increase) and the special paintwork (costs more to repair?) and you can play about with the quote online to see what has an effect and what doesn't.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
they were whinging just because it was a Fuel Tank
I suspect that they have a list of set options for modifications, which covers common things like replacement exhausts, braided brake lines etc. etc.

If that list doesn't have "large fuel tank" on it, they probably have to refer it to the underwriter. If they in turn aren't familiar with it, they probably just stick a big loading on it to make sure they cover themselves.

Either that, or they've previous insured 2 guys with big fuel tanks, and one of them crashed. Therefore the claim statistics show a 50% accident involvement for people who have large tanks.

The third possibility is that the pl*nker at Bennets 'phoned them up and asked "what do you charge for large tanks?", so the underwriter looked up the premium for an M1...

Whatever happened, I doubt it is any actual reflection on the insurance risk of having a big fuel tank.

Don't try to explain how the world works by being rational. It won't work. To prove this thesis, I offer the case of John Prescott as deputy PM...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts