Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/screen.html

Has some info (most ive seen anyways)

I'm not 100% sure which will and wont fit but anyone selling screens will do newer ones no problem...

Looking at replaceing mine too seeing as somebody saw fit to "trim" it :/ (previous owner must have been a midget or decapitated)

I think alot of people who have brought screens have had to alter them, but its difficult to get it just right :(

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
You haven't got one of my old 600 TAs have you?? I cut the screen down on both of mine because the fairing design is absolutely cr*p! Standard it doesn't provide that much protection and is noisy, and all the longer aftermarket makes I've tried are not much better, but usually noisier. I'm 5' 9" by the way, so I don't know how all you non midgets out there manage.

The best compromise I managed was a standard screen with a modified (slotted) Super Tenere screen bolted to it. This provided the protection and managed to calm the turbulence. In summer, I just used the cut-down screen; the smooth airflow means it's a lot quieter, and even with the serious mileages I do, being blown off the back seems to be less tiring than all that constant noise and head buffeting. Having become a traitor and got an AT now, I have to say the TA is a lot noisier and, unless the 650 fairing is a huge improvement, no way would I swap back!

Stig

P.S., I've seen other TAs with cut down screens, so maybe other people have had the same experience?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 600 :D i'd read they were tricky to find a screen for... i'm 5'8 so yeh i'm begining to think a better screen will be tricky... incidentaly how do you cope with the AT seat height? much difference?

Don't suppose you have a pic of your windscreen arrangement? i was thinking of makeing some sort of extension or something ready for summer touring..

Maybe a mini database of windscreans/bikes/height and how happy they are with them what works for one person wont work for somebody slightly taller/shorter... so it would be good to have some reference ?

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Yes, I'm sure I have a picture somewhere, but I'll have to find it. The shorter cut down version was greatly improved with a strip of the cut-down screen bolted to the top with tap washers as spacers. The wind hit me upper chest area (the standard screen hit around the chin, so not so much worse!), but was quite quiet. I do have a picture of that - must send it to the site today.

Regarding the Africa Twin seat height, I always thought it would be a problem because there is quite a difference, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I used to drop my TAs at low speed quite often; usually when paddling around on uneven surfaces. Still, in the year I've had the AT it hasn't happened once (although I did manage to pull it over getting off when my foot caught the seat.....). The AT just seems better balanced. Maybe it's having the fuel so much lower down. It's not as easy of road though; even slight gradients cause problems when I stop! On the flat I can get one foot flat on the ground, or two with the balls only (balls of feet that is...). I rate my old 600 Transalps as better for green lanes despite the poorer ground clearance and suspension. 186 kg dry beats the 206 kg of the AT any day, and the original VK was better still - a claimed 175 kg dry. I found the drum rear brake was fine. The squarer faring also seemed to be as effective but quieter. That's progress, eh?

I have a Powerbronze high screen for the AT at the moment, which is great; remarkably quiet, and directs the wind almost over my head. However, for the London traffic (lots of filtering) it's a bit of an obstacle for seeing what's directly on the ground in front, and come the better weather the old screen will be going back on.

Good luck experimenting!

Stig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts