Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original silencer on my bike is getting rather worn, and it also has been drilled and welded for some reason in its previous life. I am looking to get an aftermarket silencer and follow up with K&N air filter and proper jetting. Are there any known configurations of aftermarket silencer and jet settings that are known to work well and not decrease performance or increase fuel consumption?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess that ends this thread. Thanks a million packman. Now I just need to find a Motad Venom, seems they are out of production again :/

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Honda exhaust, airbox untouched, K&N filter, Dynojet kit.

·
Registered
694 Posts
What i will say is when we dynoed the bike it was a normal day temp wise. With the 120 main jets the mixture was spot on were it should be. Nick from PDQ did say 118 would be bang on but in the winter it might run slightly lean. In the summer months it will run slightly rich but better to be rich than lean.

In the ideal world 120s for winter 118s for the summer but as its such a pain in the arse to do mine is staying with 120,s.

As for the dyno sheets im not sure what these are suppose to have but i know the engine was designed for 50hp. Mine feels what it is and with the 17T front sprocket it sits nicely at 60-70 mph. Can get 230 miles to a tank if im nice to it on the motorway :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I have a Remus Grand Prix (before they brought out the Revolution) on the RD07a, it's on standard jetting and a K&N filter

Never had it dyno'd but my mate had his done - same bike, same filter and exhaust but he had the jetting changed. The bikes ran identically and we were almost the same on fuel consumption whenever we went out - also ride very similar

I have no pops or overun bangs

Happy days - sounds nice too

My RD04 runs 120s and has a K&N and Laser ProDuro - sound even nicer than the RD07a - not as economical though

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Honda Africa Twin 98 on xrv 750 Venom stainless steel road legal sports Can | eBay

this can any good? im having to replace sprockets and chain after a snap on saturday so moneys tight.. im new to all this but loving the bike and would appreciate any help.. thanks
sorry for hijack :rolleyes:

anmoboy.... spend the extra few quid, it'll save alot of pennies in the long run, & you may not be so lucky if another snaps at speed. THIS WONT!!! NB... never have your chain too tight!!!

Honda XRV750P-Y AFRICA TWIN (93-02) : D.I.D 525ZVMX-124 Gold Extreme Chain | eBay

or for the rd04

DID 525 ZVMX 128 | eBay

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
+1 for the DID VX525 124 link black and gold chain. Mine has done 5,000mls and looks like it was fitted yesterday and I've only adjusted it one notch.

Regarding the Venom can... Is that link on ebay genuine Motad exhausts? Their website doesn't show an exhaust for the Africa Twin (well it didn't when I last looked) Has anyone else bought from these and does the link pipe and fittings etc fit okay??? If this is a pucker Venom I will buy one at this price. My mate has one on his and the sound is awesome!!

* just looked on their website - No AT exhaust listed.*

·
Registered
694 Posts
Regarding the venom can give them a ring as i did sorted in 5 mins. Althou every bike is the same as is the engines every engine will be a little differnt. I think if you stick eather 118 or 120 i there you wont be far off. Mine pops and bangs like mad at the moment i put this down to heat so its richened it up thus the spare fuel is getting burnt off in the exhaust. Anyway sound great :D

I can get 230 miles to resurve on the motorway at 70 with a 17T front sprocket. I need to clean my air filter so im going to drill "2" 50 mm holes at the rear of the airbox to let some more air i thus lean it out a bit then when winter comes round cover them up again. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Honda Africa Twin 98 on xrv 750 Venom stainless steel road legal sports Can | eBay

this can any good? im having to replace sprockets and chain after a snap on saturday so moneys tight.. im new to all this but loving the bike and would appreciate any help.. thanks
Yes Venom is not at all bad.
And this one is not bad either: AQ EXHAUSTS S/Steel Slip-on Exhaust Silencer: HONDA XRV750 AFRICA TWIN | eBay

That's an African Queens silencer sold by the german company African Queens.
They had a lot of goodies for the Africa Twin.: AfricanQueens - Spezialteile fr Enduros und Reiseenduros.

It has a removable baffle, and without it the sound could best be described as "Inspiring" :D

Looks to be in great shape too.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Venom can, 120 jets, Pipercross air filter! It was too lean before the re-jetting, noticeable by slight hesistation/jerkiness at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is really interesting to see how many have dynoed their AT's :)

@chronyx: Would you care to comment on the torque graph? It looks like peak torque is less now than before?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm very tempted with the Venom can on Ebay. How good a fit is the link pipe that is supplied by Motad?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
It is really interesting to see how many have dynoed their AT's :)

@chronyx: Would you care to comment on the torque graph? It looks like peak torque is less now than before?
I'm not seeing what you're saying :D

Previous peak: 41.57 (Remus Grand Prix exhaust only, baffle in as non-removable)
New peak: 42.77 (Mods mentioned above - and it was a slightly hotter day)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm not seeing what you're saying :D

Previous peak: 41.57 (Remus Grand Prix exhaust only, baffle in as non-removable)
New peak: 42.77 (Mods mentioned above - and it was a slightly hotter day)[/QUOTE

You have quoted the peak Torque output, which is slightly more. Peak BHP is actually slightly less than the Remus.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah, so a small decrease in max BHP but a small increase in torque. That sounds alot better than the other way around :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes Venom is not at all bad.
And this one is not bad either: AQ EXHAUSTS S/Steel Slip-on Exhaust Silencer: HONDA XRV750 AFRICA TWIN | eBay

That's an African Queens silencer sold by the german company African Queens.
They had a lot of goodies for the Africa Twin.: AfricanQueens - Spezialteile fr Enduros und Reiseenduros.

It has a removable baffle, and without it the sound could best be described as "Inspiring" :D

Looks to be in great shape too.
I think it does not matter what exhaust u get. When your paying £100 for a system or £300 and it makes less than 1hp difference i know what id go for. Mine has done 10k now inc through the winter and it still looks like new. Also the weight saving is huge. So i got my exhaust for these reasons 1 noise 2 weight.

:thumbup::D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think it does not matter what exhaust u get. When your paying £100 for a system or £300 and it makes less than 1hp difference i know what id go for. Mine has done 10k now inc through the winter and it still looks like new. Also the weight saving is huge. So i got my exhaust for these reasons 1 noise 2 weight.

:thumbup::D

The noise the Venom makes is awesome. My mates brother has an RD04 with one fitted and I took it out for a quick ride. That sound will get you hooked for sure.

I'm not bothered about BHP or Torque when your only talking 1 or 2 BHP, like you say it comes down to price, sound and how long the exhaust will last. I need to fit a louder pipe on mine as I commute on the bike and people just don't know your there with the standard pipe as its so quiet.

The Venom sounds awesome and is a lot cheaper than most others out there.

Mine runs slightly rich anyway as standard, but is it worth getting it on a Dyno after fitting one? How long does it take at PDQ to get it sorted? How much does it cost?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts