Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

Some of you might have noticed my previous posts about the front brake system on my bike:

What started out as a simple pad replacement went from stuck slide pins to a complete rebuild andnew pistons.

Now it's refitting time....
And we have no pressure what so ever:blob5:

So I get out e syringe and try sucking out the air: can't get the juices flowing.
So i try reverse bleeding it: I'm just messing a lot of fluid on the floor by pushing too hard on the syringe

Question: Is my master cylinder knackered or am I doing it wrong??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
A cheeky bubble of air is in there somewhere.

Could you put a syringe on the bleed nipple and suck fluid then push it back in etc, to jostle the contents before tyring to purge it some more?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thing is: when I try to push fluid in it doesn't even move. I just build up the pressure until it spills out between the tube and bleed nipple.

Sucking brings out some air and dirty fluid but very little whilst needing much underpressure

That's why I'm thinking MC, it souldn't require that much pressure, right?. Although everything was a-OK before removing the caliper:confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi,
similar thing happened when i bled my front brakes, eventually a thick lump of congealed fluid spat out was quite rubbery have no idea how old the fluid was but looked like lucozade.

It took over two hours to get the fluid flowing bubble free.Wish i would have replaced lines for braided only 30 quids on wemoto.
Something to consider.:thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Patience, it takes patience, not that I have much of that!.
If you have disturbed both front calipers then you need more patience.
Someone to do the timed pumping of the front brake lever is a great help or you will struggle. Sweeze the brake lever,Only open the bleed nipples (one at a time) the minimum to allow the fluid to flow, keep the brake lever held in, and then close the nipple before releasing the lever again.
It took me a full ten minutes of this until the fluid flowed freely (I was about to give up and I have bled brakes and clutches many times in the past) Then another twenty minutes of fine bubbles coming though but still no "brakes". I stopped - tapped the calipers with the handle of a plastic screwdriver and left the whole thing for a couple of hours.
Came back and during the next few pumps great big bubbles came out from each caliper and then finally good solid feel to the brake.
I too had syrupy golden brown fluid with a blackish "dust" suspended in the old fluid.
Even if you have NOT disturbed both calipers, you may have to bleed both calipers, unlikey but you might have air in the "undisturbed one".
I changed the brake lines for HEL ones and the result is rock solid feed back from the brakes so it is worth the effort.
I have heard of people taking the calipers off, hanging them as high as the brake lines will allow, putting something where the disc would normally be in the caliper and bleeding that way, the air should find its way to the highest point. I hope this ramble helps?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure did, so it must be clogged somewhere up the line, trapping air.

I guess I'm going to have to exercise some more patience. No small feat for me.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts