Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Can anyone explain what the "air cleaner sub air filter" does on a TA650? It's the little filter that sits in a pod at the back of the air cleaner.

The one on my recent purchase had literally disintegrated.

I noticed my local hardware shop selling replacement foam filters for Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engines for $5 or $6 and was wondering whether cutting a piece from one of these, to fit the little pod, would do the job?

If so, I assume I should oil it?

Once again, many thanks for any help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's a breather for the carbs? I assume they can't take a filtered air feed from the clean side of the airbox because the carb breather needs to be at atmospheric pressure? Hence the need for a separate supply of filtered air at atmospheric pressure.

That would suggest that my idea of fashioning a replacement filter from a lawnmower foam filter element should be fine?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Made sub air filter material exactly as you say five years ago for my XL600V...from a double sided course and fine black and grey stuff...Their a sod to get to on mine, tucked up behind the radiators..but i reckon it's time to have another look at them..forgot all about them.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
So it's a breather for the carbs? I assume they can't take a filtered air feed from the clean side of the airbox because the carb breather needs to be at atmospheric pressure? Hence the need for a separate supply of filtered air at atmospheric pressure.

That would suggest that my idea of fashioning a replacement filter from a lawnmower foam filter element should be fine?
Yep, spot on.

They do disintegrate after a few years. I must have 'made' over dozen for various bikes over the years, from a piece of filter foam.
It's seems they rarely get checked.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts