Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
almost human? Possibly
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning out my shed a couple of weeks ago I found my old air rifle (which I tought I had got rid of) and decided to clean it up for my boys to use in the back garden. New scope and pellets ready but do I need to inform the police and get a liceince for it now as I know the laws have changed.

Does anyone know of a gun club in the sutton surrey area where I can go with the boys so they can use it on a range

Derek :thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
While cleaning out my shed a couple of weeks ago I found my old air rifle (which I tought I had got rid of) and decided to clean it up for my boys to use in the back garden. New scope and pellets ready but do I need to inform the police and get a liceince for it now as I know the laws have changed.

Does anyone know of a gun club in the sutton surrey area where I can go with the boys so they can use it on a range

Derek :thumbup:
You only need a FAC if the spring has been converted to above 12psi. I think this is the limit then it would be over the legal pressure but it's been a while for me. On your local police website there should be a firearms help section i know Devon & Cornwall police has one as Cornwall has the highest gun ownership in the UK

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/OnlineServices/ApplyFirearmslicense/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk...irearmsLicensingEmailForms/Pages/default.aspx

or take it to a local gunsmiths they will tell you if you need any paperwork for it

This is definatly the one you need here:::::::--------
http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk...ages/FirearmsFrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx#13

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You only need a FAC if the spring has been converted to above 12psi. .aspx#13

if its an old spring one you should not have a problem.. google fro info.. there are age limits and restictions on where it can be used and how it is transported if its above 12 foot pounds force then it will need a fire arms cert..

BASC - Air Rifle Code of Practice

they are not toys.....

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
or take it to a local gunsmiths they will tell you if you need any paperwork for it

I can't stand guns and see absolutely no justification at all for any child to go near one (even though I used to be a good shot at scouts) There are a few hundred rural adults who use a gun for work and that should be it.

But if you must recommission it, I shouldn't move it out of the shed unless and until you are sure it is legal. The pollis sometimes advise you to take the weapon to a station but if it IS illegal, you could get arrested when you arrive.

:)

L

·
0 Posts
DO NOT use it in the back yard, the law states that you must be at least 50 ft away from a highway (this though has been used by people in the past to also mean any place accessable to the public and other peoples properties..) you mighyt not get done for it but a lot of armed police bursting through your door is not nice ;)

We own a field about a mile away with some horses in it, so we use that for FT practice and/or a few rabbits for the pot with a nice little precharged Falcon FN12

Most importantly is to remember that an air-rifle can kill just as easily as a regular firearm..

I'd suggest taking it to a place that does air-rifles (only place I know of in London is in Wembley near the tube station), get them to do a quick test on it's power and if need be even lower it to about 4ft-LB if it's being used as a "plinker" for shooting tin cans at 20+ meters.. (remember that you need to have it uncocked, unloaded and covered (in a bag/case/box) when you transport it in public (this also means when it's in a car))

Post with links from another forum but there's a few places in Surrey to shoot
http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-309960.html

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm going to emphasise what others are saying here - but hopefully with a bit of authority as an Ex-British Army Armourer.

First as folks have said an air rifle isn't a toy. Mis-handled it can cause injury or death to the user or another individual so should be treated as a WEAPON at all times. To this end you should NEVER use it where you do not have a proper backstop or a clear and unobstructed view of the ground down range and you should certainly not be using it in your back garden unless you have a very large solid wall at the back or about 200 yards or ground. Neighbours get really annoyed when shot through the bush at the bottom of their garden - and again as Kymmy has pointed out you're going to find it really hard to find a legal leg to stand on when they complan to the Police.

You say this has been lying in your shed for a while so I would strongly suggest that you take it to a gunsmiths and have it serviced - at the same time I would follow Kymmy's advise and have it de-tuned if you're only going to use it for 'plinking'. It's probably got no faults other than a bit of surface rust but when firearms and air weapons do go wrong it is usually in a quite dangerous way.

D

·
0 Posts
On Holiday in Malia, Crete in June 2003 my wife and I were shot at by two youths on a buggy only four hours before our homeward flight took off (04.00am). They missed me but I felt the pellet just pass by me. Some Thomsons reps also saw it and reported them (took the number). Dont know what happened

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Like the others say (lots of info about on websites and also some decent magazines out there such as Air Gunner and Air Gun world)

But as an air gun rifle owner and user, I and others work darn hard to use it responsibly and fight the really bad publicity a few morons or careless individuals create (I could start a rant about all the idiots on sportsbikes giving us lesser mortals a bad press).

I use mine for much needed and considered vermin control (plus the odd free lunch always a bonus) but you could get into target shooting (serious or plinking)

Most gun shops will be able to test your guns power, and refurb if required, I paid about £8 about 8 years ago last time I had one checked.

To summerise, Stay legal, and if vermin control features, be humane.

·
Registered
585 Posts
All very good advice indeed, especially Kymmy. Usually before you are allowed on a range the gun club steward will fire the gun over a chronograph to check the pellet velocity. Now the pellet speed can depend on the ammo you use so the 12 foot pound spring rule can only be a guideline. If the police were to check the gun they would undoubtedly use the lightest pellet possible, probably giving a biased result. However I do agree that the chronograph reading should be ok with such a pellet. However if you use say Field Target Trophy ammo which is quite a heavy pellet you would probably have a relatively low velocity but it's weight may carry it further. It's that old question which can you throw further a cricket ball or a tennis ball. I was also shot by some naughty boys with a pellet gun and it bloody hurt. I shoot a .22 WH35 with Bushnells scope but only for field target and range work. Overhauling an air rifle is not too difficult just be aware of any stored energy in the spring, which may well be pst it's best anyway.

L

·
0 Posts
Now the pellet speed can depend on the ammo you use so the 12 foot pound spring rule can only be a guideline. If the police were to check the gun they would undoubtedly use the lightest pellet possible, probably giving a biased result. However I do agree that the chronograph reading should be ok with such a pellet. However if you use say Field Target Trophy ammo which is quite a heavy pellet you would probably have a relatively low velocity but it's weight may carry it further.
But any of that doesn't alter the power calculation..

Yes a lighter pellet will go faster and also have a flatter trajectory than a slower moving heavier pellet but the power reading which takes into account the weight of the pellet will read the same.

If plinking tin cans or paper targets then as I said a low power rifle combined with some flat headed pellets are ideal.. Not only do they punch a nice round hole in paper targets but if they for any reason hit something alive they tend to not go in deep and/or just leave a very nasty bruise. Not something you want of either but better than a pellet deep against the bone...

Derek, you need to take it a step at a time with the kids.. Teach them how to handle the rifle, how to carry it, how to safely cock it (you've not mentioned if it's a break barrel, pump, underlever as each one had a different safe method of cocking and each one (apart from pump) has a tendancy of trapping fingers or skin of sone incorrectly) how to load it and finally how to shoot it. Practice at home, mark a line in the house and go through with them each step (without pellets of course) teaching them that when the gun is or isn't loaded that when it's carried flat (i.e..in a shooting position) it should always be pointing up range and at all other times it should be carried nose down, unloaded, uncocked..

One thing to drum into them is that it never ever leaves the house unless it's in a bag/case and you are with them (in fact I would honestly hide it)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i bought a chronograph on ebay quite cheaply when i wanted to tune up my cheapo chinese CO2 rifle. the law states the impact force of the pellet (up to 12ft/lb ok, anything over that needs a full FAC), not the velocity it goes at thats just one of the things used to work it out. for cheap precharged rifles like mine the heavier pellets come out nearly as fast as light ones, so if youve tuned it up to 11ft/lb with superdomes and decide to put some crow magnums through it, its well over the limit. so you have to tune the rifle for the heaviest pellets you can buy, if youre caught doing something silly the police should test the rifle with the pellets in your pocket but if they feel bloody minded enough they are within their remit to use the heaviest commercially available. a good precharged rifle should have a regulator inside that puts pellets out at under 12ft/lb, whatever the weight. my old falcon (and kymmys) had this built in.

in my opinion only professional vermin shooters should want a FAC for an air rifle, where a .25 30ft/lb rifle would cleanly kill any pests but not go wanging around very expensive farm equipment. these rifles are very expensive, when on the same ticket you can have a .22LR rifle for a quarter of the money.

anyway, this is a moot thread now because after that complete nutcase in the lakes we'll be handing our airguns and shotguns over the counter at the local nick soon, and being paid peanuts for them (and absolutely nothing for any accessories) like after dunblane.

L

·
0 Posts
i bought a chronograph on ebay quite cheaply when i wanted to tune up my cheapo chinese CO2 rifle. the law states the impact force of the pellet (up to 12ft/lb ok, anything over that needs a full FAC), not the velocity it goes at thats just one of the things used to work it out. for cheap precharged rifles like mine the heavier pellets come out nearly as fast as light ones, so if youve tuned it up to 11ft/lb with superdomes and decide to put some crow magnums through it, its well over the limit. so you have to tune the rifle for the heaviest pellets you can buy, if youre caught doing something silly the police should test the rifle with the pellets in your pocket but if they feel bloody minded enough they are within their remit to use the heaviest commercially available. a good precharged rifle should have a regulator inside that puts pellets out at under 12ft/lb, whatever the weight. my old falcon (and kymmys) had this built in..
Yep Precharged is different (hence my above comments were relevant to the thread which isn;t about pre-charged)

The regulator in some rifles (falcons do not have them but instead they have a more accurate valving system) does allow a lot more consistancy in power.

The difference between a spring and prechared is that the pellet only is pushed the same length as the spring in a non-precharged rifle where in a precharged the pellet is pushed for the full length of the barrel.

Also the Falcon like 90% of precharged can truthfully be wound up to rediculous levels (20+ft/lb) by using a simple allan key to put more pressure on the hammer spring (had mine tested at a local gun club by the tech thier when I used to help out with some repairs)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Also the Falcon like 90% of precharged can truthfully be wound up to rediculous levels (20+ft/lb) by using a simple allan key to put more pressure on the hammer spring (had mine tested at a local gun club by the tech thier when I used to help out with some repairs)
or you could just used a thick rubber band from the front of the reservoir to the hammer cocking handle, same effect, instant evidence disappearance if anyone nosey showed up. rubber band pings off, instant 12ft/lb rifle. "or so ive been told":toothy7:

·
almost human? Possibly
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys and Girls. The rifle is a break barrel and it is just going to be used for tin cans and paper targets. My eldest is in the scouts and every time he goes to camp we have to sign a waver to say he is aloud to use their air rifle. As far as safety is they will not be aloud to use it unless I am with them and they can’t get it as it is hidden in my shed. Will have to pop into the local gun shop for a list of local clubs or ranges that we might be able to use.

Thanks Again Derek :thumbup:

·
vodka tester
476 Posts
another point not picked up on here is storage, an old shed i would have thought is not the best place.

I think you should teach children to shoot it teaches them respect for guns and in the correct conditions so i hope you find a local range and have some fun.

We have just had a family stay with us and i took them and the children up to our local range (i have a full FAC and do vermin control for all the local farmers so visit the range at least 4 times a month to keep my guns zeroed, so am a member)
The whole family loved shooting the .22 on the fifty and the hundred meter ranges. They were not so keen on the 30-06 and the 7.62 as the noise and recoil can take some getting used too.
but if you are ever up this way and want to visit the range drop me a line and i will try and take you.

Roy

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
a question

ive just realised the buddy bottles from my old paintballing days will fit on my tingtong CO2 rifle, any idea where i can get them filled? i thought about welding supply stores cos they use CO2, what do you reckon?

L

·
0 Posts
Re: a question

If CO2 then try your local pub if you're freindly with the landlord :)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Re: a question

Provided that they have the correct connectors a dive shop is usually the best place to get bottles refilled.
do divers breathe CO2, thought it was poisonous?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts