Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching the development of this kit over the years and formed a viw that they may be worth while.
At the NEC show there were some on display so I was able to try one for size. Good un obtrusive fit when un inflated, lots of thoughtfull detail in the design.
The one that stood out above the rest was "Helite", CE approved and supports the helmet/neck.
Ended up wearing one whilst it was activated and was very impressed.

Helite Airbag Vest Review - webBikeWorld

I bought a high vis one so now I own a bit of kit I hope to never use. Quite expensive so it was a big decision.

Anyone used one? There are a few videos on youtube that make you flinch showing horsey types benifiting from the vests.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Airbag vests are old technologies ;-) airbags have gone bio and can be integrated in your body.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Had a HitAir for 3-4 years, happily never used it!!

I feel almost naked if I get on the bike without wearing it now, like riding without a helmet :-D

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a HitAir for 3-4 years, happily never used it!!

I feel almost naked if I get on the bike without wearing it now, like riding without a helmet :-D
Hoping I become addicted, the horsey set videos are impressive.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Hoping I become addicted, the horsey set videos are impressive.
Yep. I know one horse rider who reckons she can still walk because she was wearing one when she was thrown badly.

How much was your vest?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yep. I know one horse rider who reckons she can still walk because she was wearing one when she was thrown badly.

How much was your vest?
The vest (hi viz) , a spare cylinder and two additional tethers came to £500. i needed the largest size which is £ 525 without any discount. There is also a Knox back protector built in ant the whole lot is CE marked.

Im 60 today and my work collegues collected quite a significant sum that I was able to combine with other family donations so its not such a hit on my pocket, and it beats socks :)

·
Timid biker
186 Posts
At the Scottish Motorcycle Show back in March I visited the Helite stand with my friend RoboJo (occasionally of this parish). I saw someone who'd just bought one of the vests and was wearing it already, and I ended up chatting with the guy at the stand.

Lots of thoughtful detail in the design.
Yes. I was very impressed with the way it surrounded all the vital areas like kidneys and around the waist and all up the back and the back of the neck and down the front, and the lanyard seemed like a pretty good release mechanism: just stretchy and long enough not to activate were you to climb off the bike without unplugging it first.

I volunteered to be part of a demonstration at the SMC. I was an idiot because you quickly realise Helite vests are designed mainly for men, and probably by men. I hope Massive Lee was just being facetious, but consider what happens when you suddenly inflate the vest and it crushes the bloody buggering hell out of your chest's delicate bits. It left me in some pain for about three days. In the field I suppose that would be preferable to sustaining a broken neck or broken back, though women bikers (and horse riders) with augmentation might also worry about implant and capsular damage from crushing.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
At the Scottish Motorcycle Show back in March I visited the Helite stand with my friend RoboJo (occasionally of this parish). I saw someone who'd just bought one of the vests and was wearing it already, and I ended up chatting with the guy at the stand.

Yes. I was very impressed with the way it surrounded all the vital areas like kidneys and around the waist and all up the back and the back of the neck and down the front, and the lanyard seemed like a pretty good release mechanism: just stretchy and long enough not to activate were you to climb off the bike without unplugging it first.

I volunteered to be part of a demonstration at the SMC. I was an idiot because you quickly realise Helite vests are designed mainly for men, and probably by men. I hope Massive Lee was just being facetious, but consider what happens when you suddenly inflate the vest and it crushes the bloody buggering hell out of your chest's delicate bits. It left me in some pain for about three days. In the field I suppose that would be preferable to sustaining a broken neck or broken back, though women bikers (and horse riders) with augmentation might also worry about implant and capsular damage from crushing.
One of the concerns I had about these vests was whether activation itself would cause damage/injury, similar to the damage people suffer in car airbag activation (much less damage than they would suffer in the event of no air bag deployment) or a bit like the seat belt bruising after a crash. I took up the offer to wear one as it was activated. I suffered no after effects but for the demo they took care to ensure appropriate sizing and adjustment of the chest straps.
My daughter was there for the test and was all for my buying one. Her job requires PPE and she constantly has to battle with sizing, ie small will do for you as opposed to female fit. I wonder if you were strapped up too tightly because male or female, the activation should hold firm and not crush?
Looking at the horse riding accidents on you tube, those who have benifited are both male and female but there doesnt seem to be male/female fit options.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Mmm, interesting about the male v female fit. I am trying to recall if HitAir made different models... I know they have moved pretty completely to equine users here in the UK which is a shame as the build quality (japanese) is excellent. Crap Distributors I believe...

My vest..Here

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mmm, interesting about the male v female fit. I am trying to recall if HitAir made different models... I know they have moved pretty completely to equine users here in the UK which is a shame as the build quality (japanese) is excellent. Crap Distributors I believe...

My vest..Here
hi im also a horse rider/owner and have a HitAir vest for horse riding. we were a full body protector under the air jackets witch stops the squigey bits getting hurt the body/back protectors are about 1in thick. but it knoks the wind out of you when it goes off.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
hi im also a horse rider/owner and have a HitAir vest for horse riding. we were a full body protector under the air jackets witch stops the squigey bits getting hurt the body/back protectors are about 1in thick. but it knoks the wind out of you when it goes off.
I'm not surprised you are winded after falling off, its a long way down off a horse!! :)

I don't wear mine when trail riding as it seems too likely to keep going off on minor offs...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am in the process of getting myself one of these Helite hit-air air-nest yellow ... beeing 187cm tall, and reasonably slender, I went for the XL size according to the chart.
Well, short story, its too long on the back. So sent it back today and expecting the L size shortly.
Seems you should keep to the lower range of the scale to make it perfect. I'll see when i get the Large (5cm shorter back), the medium is 10cm shorter back ...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Usefull review link from ADV rider. A bit of discussion over there re cost. Its still enough to be a significant decision however. Hope never to use mine either but pleased to know its there.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Size large was good fit. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have had one for a couple of years now
All I can add is I wish I had gone for the black one instead of the hivis as mine gets very gruby and doesn't cleanup very good . but a part from that its well made.
I bought mine at a bike safe day and was told I would be contacted by e mail in 12 months time to remind me to sent it in for a yearly inspection and was quoted something like £25 but I've never been contacted.

Let's all hope we never get to use it.

Ian:thumbright:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts