Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm considering getting an airhawk seat for my @ for TLD. There's 2 types available, neoprene and polymer (which is half the price at £79).
Anyone know the pro's & con's of each? And are they really as comfy as the hype says?
Many thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Steinberg,

The main difference bewteen to two types of Airhawk seat cushion besides the price is that the neoprene one is more durable and can be repaired with standard tube puncture kits. Once the plastic one is holed then repair is very difficult if not impossible. The plastic one is not as comfortable as the neoprene material is softer but the principle of the seat cushions are exactly the same. A cheaper alternative for you that you could consider is the Putnams stadium seat.

Ian.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I found it bloody comfy mind when I did Jog to LE. My ass just doesnt do bike seats and find them a useful long range addition

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
+2

I've used mine for years now and on TLD08 JOG to LE I got to the other end with no aches or pains and cold have carried on riding even after 15+ hours in the saddle mostly in driving rain

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I got the cheap one, works very well.
Seconded. Just don't put too much air in it and yer knackers will thank you for it...! Also watch out in very hot weather when the air will expand..... same problem applies :)

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Hi folks,
I'm considering getting an airhawk seat for my @ for TLD. There's 2 types available, neoprene and polymer (which is half the price at £79).
Anyone know the pro's & con's of each? And are they really as comfy as the hype says?
Many thanks :thumb:
As mentioned, the Neoprene ones are (supposedly) repairable.

They do delay numb bum rather than eliminate it, so are worthwhile for longer trips.
Vanessa loves hers, I sold mine, I find they give a remote/detached feeling from the bike, feel horrible when wet & I got a draught through the seat which gave me a bad lower back on cold days.
A Goretex type of cover would eliminate most of the issues.

Phil

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Seconded. Just don't put too much air in it and yer knackers will thank you for it...! Also watch out in very hot weather when the air will expand..... same problem applies :)
Forgot about that, took a couple of tries but very little air needed.
Never had problems with the hot weather:D:D:D

Quote "They do delay numb bum rather than eliminate it, so are worthwhile for longer trips. "
From Dartmoor to Skye, 14 hours, still comfortable.

Quote "A Goretex type of cover would eliminate most of the issues."
I made a goretex cover from an old north face jacket:thumbup:

Also, I got a lower seat from Mr Silver and have the airhawk permanently attached to that, keep my original seat for local trips.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Forgot about that, took a couple of tries but very little air needed.

Never had problems with the hot weather:D:D:D
It's all down to pressure and weight..................:D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've used one for quite a while now and i think they are a godsend but they do move about a bit and i find myself adjusting my position on it a lot in heavy stop/start traffic

but without one i get numbe-arse really quickly....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts