Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tea boy
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first time I have ever interacted with any web site chatty thing, so if I screw up please feel free to hurl abuse. I spotted an earlier thread about Airhawks and what size should they buy, so I thought this might be of some use to any one with a little madness. I went to a Touratech weekend back in September on my 82 CX500. I was trying to find a bike that really did it for me. The whole site was just tiled with BMW GS 1200’s etc. This was enough to completely turn me off of my BMW thoughts, and this was when I saw my first AT. I asked quite a few people about the AT and everybody said, great bike but uncomfortable on long rides. I also noticed the amount of people with these Airhawks, some were carrying them around, well at £100 a time it’s not surprising. A lovely guy gave me his keys and let me ride his AT whilst holding my son hostage of course. I had ridden no further than 50 yards and I knew this was for me. On my return from this weekend, I hunted down the best I could not afford, a 2003 with only 9k on the clock. I also bought a S/H med Airhawk from ebay, I just could not condone spending the full price for a miniature air bed. I summoned up the courage got the keys and took the seat off my lovely new bike, then pulled all the staples out from underneath and removed the cover, put the seat back on the bike and made myself comfortable. With a felt tip marker I made a mark at the front and back of me. Took the seat off again and laid the Airhawk out of it’s cover on the foam between the two marks, giving the extra Airhawk length to the rear, covering the back felt tip mark, so when you really sit in to the bike you don’t run out of the comfort area. When I was happy with the position I drew round the Airhawk, and with a very sharp knife cut this section out of the seat. With a piece of plastic brewing tube, I extended the air filler pipe, so it went right through the back of the area cut out and through the most convenient whole in the underside of the molded plastic frame of the seat. This was so I could have control of the Airhawk from under the seat. When the Airhawk looked a good snug fit I stretched the cover back on the seat and re-stapled it. It looked just like a normal seat. I fitted one of these micro compressors that you get in these cheap tyre inflators, and a snap air connector, this not only gives me the option to inflate my tires when I need, but from the use of a small switch on my handle bars I can adjust the comfort factor whilst riding. I don’t have to carrie the Airhawk about, it can’t be nicked and the comfort of the AT is superb. 3 birds with one stone. Also if anybody knows of the guy who let me ride his bike I would love to hear from him, all I remember was he was local to the Touratech and BMW off road area, and on the front of his bike he had a small plastic Bear shagging a sheep.
Bob

·
2,701 Posts
Welcome to the site mate :thumb:

Some good ideas there, i particularly like the mini compressor to adjust on the move.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
if anybody knows of the guy who let me ride his bike I would love to hear from him, all I remember was he was local to the Touratech and BMW off road area, and on the front of his bike he had a small plastic Bear shagging a sheep.
Bob
Nope, not me. I don't live there and don't have a small bear shagging a sheep on the front of mine:D

(that's just a traditional response to any post asking who it was on an @.

Sounds like a novel solution. My have to have a go (will have to buy the airhawk first, as I have only ever borrowed one). Which airhawk did you fit - the long thing one or the more bum-shaped one?

·
Tea boy
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I used the medium bum shaped one, because it is slightly wider than the original seat, it allowed for the sides to be folded down so you get full coverage. If you put loads of pressure in it looks like you have some alien trapped under there.
Bob

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Been thinking of that aswell, like the idea of the compressor, it would have looked a bit odd kneeling beside your bike giving the tube a blow*,

now before anyone sets upon you, post some pics of your steed and more info on the compressor, fitting, switching, placement please

(* could have rephrased that but run the risk of being banned)

and welcome to the madhouse:toothy8:

·
Tea boy
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, If you were caught blowing away on your knees, you could always pretend to be praying for sunshine. I will get out side in a few days and take some picks of the wiring, as I put in my first posting, this is all very new to me, so might take a few days. My next project due to having no center stand will be, a hydraulic air driven center stand. I will not be paying over £100 for a few bits of welded tube, and giving my self a hernia trying to use it. It will be home made as usual.
Bob

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you have already started on the road of tricking up your AT, therefore you are DOOMED.:D:D:thumbup:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Hi, If you were caught blowing away on your knees, you could always pretend to be praying for sunshine. I will get out side in a few days and take some picks of the wiring, as I put in my first posting, this is all very new to me, so might take a few days. My next project due to having no center stand will be, a hydraulic air driven center stand. I will not be paying over £100 for a few bits of welded tube, and giving my self a hernia trying to use it. It will be home made as usual.
Bob
and definitely photos of that can you make one for a Varadero fully loaded :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts